Catholic "Manger Scene" misrepresents the facts!

by Schizm 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

I drove by the local Catholic church this evening and happened to notice there was a manger scene set up out front of the church. Flanking one side of the child's crib were Mary, a few shepherds, and a cow. Flanking the other side of the crib were Joseph and the so-called "three wise men" (more accurately known as the Magi).

After having seen this display it made me wonder whether or not the local Catholics know that the Magi did NOT make their visit while Jesus was an infant lying in a manger. The "truth" of the matter is that when these men saw Jesus he was living in a HOUSE, and might have been nearly two years of age.

Let's suppose the local Catholics actually DO know that Jesus was not an infant when the Magi visited. In that case, then it's apparent the Catholics aren't concerned with presenting the truth of this detail in the exhibit they had set up for the PUBLIC to observe. If we likewise suppose that some of the PUBLIC who drive by and observe this exhibit have no knowledge of the Bible regarding the event, then such ones are being misinformed by the Catholic church. To misinform people of what the Bible actually teaches doesn't speak very well of those who have assumed the role of "teacher".

I personally find it especially distasteful when religious leaders teach things that aren't true and accurate! Just as I'm disappointed over the WTS's 1914 doctrine (because it's not really true), I'm disappointed over the Catholics representing the Magi as having visited Jesus when he was an infant. If I were to "wink" at what the Catholics are doing with this, then it would require that I also "wink" at the WTS's erroneous 1914 doctrine, as well as a host of other inaccuracies as taught by both religions.

• Schizm
    Schizm

Adoration of the magi

No manger scene would be complete without the presence of the wise men (or magi, as they are sometimes called) bearing gifts of gold, frankincense (or incense), and myrrh for the newborn Jesus. There's only one problem: The wise men most likely weren't there.
    The mysterious absence of the magi at Jesus' birth

.... Matthew does not seem to present these wise men as arriving at Jesus' birth, but perhaps as much as two years later. That is, even if we combine the accounts of Matthew and Luke, it probably would be inaccurate to place the shepherds and magi side by side.

The Slaughter of the Innocents

The wise men continue on their way to Bethlehem, where they find Jesus. However, after they present their gifts to Jesus, they are warned in a dream not to return to Herod because he only intends to kill this newborn king. When Herod finds out that the wise men have left his territory without reporting back to him, he becomes furious and dispatches his soldiers to kill all male children in the vicinity of Bethlehem who are 2 years old and younger — a choice informed by the time told him by the wise men, which suggests that Jesus is approaching 2 years old when the wise men appear. Although Jesus escapes Herod's henchman unharmed (Joseph had been warned in a dream to flee to Egypt) many youngsters do not. Herod's murderous act is often referred to as "The Slaughter of the Innocents."Source: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2706.html

• Schizm
    Schizm

A few inaccurate images:

Nativity Scene with Magi Art Print

Corn Husk Creche

CORN HUSK CRECHE

A shepherd, his sheep, and the wise men bearing gifts have all arrived at the manger in Bethlehem to find Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus. This wonderful cornhusk creche, handmade for us in Slovakia, comes completely assembled and ready for use. Made entirely from natural materials. Figures range from 1 1/2" to 6" high. Stable measures 13" wide x 9" high x 8 1/2" deep.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am truly shocked. They ought to be sued.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Yes, Catholics know about this. See, for example, this link from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09527a.htm

For years I have not missed Midnight Mass and I can think of several years when this is discussed as part of the homily. For Catholics Christmas lasts until January 6th--the Feast of the Magi. We actually keep most of our decorations up until then...except usually our tree doesn't last that long!

So, what you're seeing is the whole of the Christmas season telescoped together in a manger scene.

BTW, have a Merry Christmas!

• Schizm
    Schizm
    So, what you're seeing is the whole of the Christmas season telescoped together in a manger scene.

I must have overlooked a nearby sign that actually stated that ... which has to be the case, because surely the Catholic church would prefer to NEVER give anybody a wrong impression.

BTW, have a Merry Christmas!

Now aren't you the dummy!

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I am truly shocked. They ought to be sued. -- Leolaia.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I wrote my earlier post just as I was getting ready to head down to Midnight Mass. Afterwards our family opened our presents and we didn't get to bed until after 3. So, life is just beginning to stir in our household.

At Mass last night there was the manger scene to the left of the altar. In our parish (the third largest in the state of Oregon) there are no wise men. They are on the right side of the altar and will be joined with the rest of the characters of the creche at the Feast of the Magi on January 6th.

I turned on EWTN (the Catholic cable channel) this morning and saw them portray the visit of the Magi. A narrator read the story and there were people playing the parts. The child who played Jesus was a toddler...I'd say around 2. This was no infant.

At any rate, Catholics know this stuff and are not overly literal on such matters. We don't have a problem with conflating these events during our Christmas season (December 24th to January 6th).

Again, wishing all a Merry Christmas!

• Schizm
    Schizm

Source for Star of Bethlehem: God or Satan?

Do Catholics care? Does the WTS care?

What were the names of the "three wise men"?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting those.

The underlying theme behind the visit of the Magi is that the birth of Jesus was not just for the Jewish people but for all people. So Catholics would say the star was of divine origin and not satanic. As for the names of the Magi...no one actually knows. We don't even know how many there were. The names traditionally assigned are from Christian literature way after the apostolic period. The names could be true but probably are imaginative. I suppose for JWs this is big stuff. As I said, Catholics are not overly-literal on such things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit