When and where baptized

by drahcir yarrum 71 Replies latest jw friends

• thewiz
    thewiz

I was baptized again out of complete guilt (for being a sinner). Also, I began to feel that the first time wasn't really genuine.

I forgot to mention I was dunked (twice) in Natick, MASS USA.

Maybe I should mention that I am still a JW, I have just been inactive and haven't read the mags for about 2 years. My broter-in-law is an Elder at Bethel. He paid a visit, he stayed for the week.

I still have contact with JWs in my area and still maintain friendship with many back up in RI. I guess I haven't "outed", in a spiritual sense, myself to my friends, for fear of losing them.

However, many of them know me to be a "trouble maker". And always asking or challenging different things.

I.e. They were having one of those "special" meetings by the CO on a Sat. night -be there.

I asked the CO later what it was about. He said it was It was about, how certain names, places, and things should be "correctly" pronounced.

I said, "you mean the correct pronounciation according to the way the society says things should be pronounced, don't you?"

He said "Yes."

I said "I've heard scholars, people who get right done to the nitty-gritty who understand the original bible languages thoroughly, and they clearly don't pronounce, many of the words the same. Who am I to believe, them or the WTBS?" I then said "I guess i won't be there."

• Englishman
    Englishman

July, 1958.

Orchard Beach, New York, USA.

Now come on you guys, that has really surprised you, hasn't it?

Yes?

Er, Hello?

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Babykins
    Babykins

February 1987, Indianapolis, Indiana Circuit Assembly. I was a very naive 16 years old. Had only studied for 2 years. Wish I would have known better what I was getting myself into. My sister got baptized at the same assembly. She is still a JW. Guess she is the "good one".LOL

Babykins

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

October 1992, Natick Assembly Hall in Natick, MA!

I still have the towel...my precious "baptismal towel" that I refuse to part with, only because it was part of one of the few serious decision of my life, haahaa...even if it was not the best decision. It is falling apart....probably something a wee bit symbolic about that, eh?

I remember when the assmebly hall down there was fairly new, and it was sooo exciting as a kid to get food tickets and stand in line and get either hot food, or a cold sub. They don't even serve food any more...it is too distracting for the brothers and sisters who volunteer and miss parts of the program. yet, you are discouraged from going to local restaurants to eat...to much worldy association. My mom made me feel guilty about getting a hotdog outside of the Providence Civic Center. But after lugging around a cooler with crappy sandwiches and my little boy, I felt Jehovah would spare his anger if I took him across the street to MickyD's once in a while.

heehee!

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Oh..yeah I was 21.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

May 13, 1972 at a brother's house in Orlando, FL. His name was Henderson Wilder and I had a huge crush on his son, Jimmy. The assemblies were held at some cow barn and they would always have the baptisms at his house.

I got baptized because all of my friends got baptized. I was 14.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

In the fall of 1985 at a Circuit Assembly in Buckingham, Pennsylvania.
    I was 13.

closer

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
    than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance - e.e. cummings

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

June 15, 1985 - THE YEAR THE QUESTIONS CHANGED :p

Jacksonville, FL

--Michael

"Any day spent NOT knocking on doors is a good day!"

• TR
    TR

October 5th, 1985 at a motel swimming pool in Spokane, Wa. That was a pivotal year for the baptismal questions. Can't remember if it was "...in the name of the Holy Spirit", or "God's spirit directed org."

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Feb 1992 Woodburn OR!

YICK!!!

Ven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit