Desolation of Jerusalem

by Alwayshere 240 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ackack
    ackack

Incedently, have you seen the WT's explanation of this? It goes something like, the punishment for King of Babylon occured in 537. After all, the title King of Babylon is irrelevent to nationality, simply that when the Jews left, that was the punishment.

Would be interesting to find the article in question.

ackack

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Jeffro, I can't believe you are still hacking this out with Scholar. Can't you see he can NEVER agree with the Bible. He even adds to God's word by saying "the land will be desolated for 70 years" when it says "all this land must become a devastated place" Scholar is nothing but an Apostate and covering for the cult he is in. Proverbs 30: 6 warns against adding to God's word. If you think you can help Scholar, he is beyond help.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Alwayshere

Jeffro, I can't believe you are still hacking this out with Scholar. Can't you see he can NEVER agree with the Bible. He even adds to God's word by saying "the land will be desolated for 70 years" when it says "all this land must become a devastated place" Scholar is nothing but an Apostate and covering for the cult he is in. Proverbs 30: 6 warns against adding to God's word. If you think you can help Scholar, he is beyond help.

No, I don't have delusions of being able to help 'scholar', as it seems he is too far entrenched in his having allowed himself to be so thoroughly indoctrinated that logic no longer has prominence. My main aim in consistently replying to 'scholar's' posts is to show other readers of this forum (especially those who have not had the opportunity to properly study the topic) how his arguments can be logically refuted.

• wombat
    wombat

Well, someone certainly got to count up lots of hours.

Can't do that after the January 15 Watchtower. No more associating with apostates on the net.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    because the longer we do battle then others can see through your foolishness.

Neil Im still searching your posts and have not come across your "neo-Babylon" kings list. What year did you post that?

Thanks in advance

EW

• Kaput
    Kaput
    (I am aware of the concept that it may seem I am wasting my time bothering with 'scholar' at all, and some may see that as 'foolish', however I do so for my amusement, to expose his lies to readers, and to keep up my typing speed.)

Ahhhh, Jeffro, you saved the truth for last!

• scholar
    scholar

ackack

Jeremiah 25:12 is quite specific in describing Babylon by means of its rulership and its territory as the land of Chaldees. After the fulfillment of the seventy years in 537, Jehovah turned his attention to Babylon, its rulers and land, at that time it was ruled by new rulers namely the Persians and soon the Greek followed by the Roman World Power. So the history of Babylon after 537 was one of gradual decline into oblivion fulfilling Jeremiah's prophecy against her of complete desolation.

scholar JW

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i am going to go to this "jerusalem" place one of these days, and see for myself just how desolate the babylonians left it. for some reason i don't believe any of you, regardless of whether you say it was 587 or 607....

sincerely,

TS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeffro:Keep up the good work

Mavis Beacon, eat yer heart out!

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

You can make up your own rules of exegesis but the simple fact is that Jeremiah's prophecy was against Judah's sins and involved specific punishement which affected the land. The Jews broke the Law Covenant and according to Leviticus 26:31-34 the land had to be uninhabited in order for its sabbaths to be repaid. Further, Ezra most definitely linked the seventy years of desolation with the prophecy of Jeremiah.

Verse 12 of Jeremiah 25 could only be fulfilled after 539 because in that year the exiles were still in Babylon and the land of Judah was still desolated. The situation changed dramatically with their release from Babylon in 537 with the seventy years at last being fulfilled. Therefore, in the light of the historical situation manifest in ch 25 clearly shows that 29:10 is correctly translated by the NWT because after the seventy years were fulfilled, the exiles who had been in Babylon were now safely returned home.

Commentators do not agree with you in your exegesis of verse 12 for they recognize that these words clearly show the fulfillment of the seventy years ended not with Babylon in 539 but with the Return under Cyrus. So, the focus of this oracle is not the events of Babylon as yolu claim but the Return of the Exiles as noted humbly by the 'celebrated'.

I do not ignore Daniel's prophecy of the Fall of Babylon but nowhere is this connected to Jeremiah 25:12 which simply foretells Babylon's destruction and not its Fall:

Daniel 5 = Fall of Babylon in 539

Jeremiah 25:12 = Destruction of Babylon

With this nice little formula in mind one can easily see why the NWT has an appropriate marginal footnote indicating that Babylon would not just fall but would be desolated.

I am glad and very happy that others give you commendation for your many battles with scholar and that I have contributed greatly to your typing skills. Keep up the good work!

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit