Desolation of Jerusalem

by Alwayshere 240 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

Desino

Your exegesis of Daniel 9:2 is wrong. Daniel was saying that there were several devastations as you imply but that there was only one such period and that was of seventy years in duration. The use of 'devastations' as a plural form simply denotes an emphasis in Biblical Hebrew and does not imply that there were several periods. The only such period familiar to Daniel would have been the exile and desolation of Judah from the Fall in 607 until its impending finish in 537. Daniel knew when the seventy years began and how long it would last ie. seventy years according to Jeremiah but he would not have known then how this would end.

The Scriptures definitely prove that the desolation of the land was complete because Jeremiah stated that the land would be without an inhabitant or depopulated so this confirms the magnitude or extent of that desolation.

scholar JW

• jula71
    jula71
    impending finish in 537.

(tap tap tap) ahhhhh..the sounds of scholar tap dancing!! You have been extremely adamant in the fact it was completely destroyed in 607..........is this a flip-flop I smell???

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Babylon fell in 539 BC. According to the WTS.

Jeremiah 25:12 — “‘And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘their error, even against the land of the Chal·de´ans, and I will make it desolate wastes to time indefinite.

If the 70 years began in 609 BC, Jeremiah was a true prophet. Otherwise he was a false prophet. No one called the King of Babylon to account in 537 BC. Not even according to celebrated WT scholars.

AuldSoul

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

tetrapod,sapien, I know Jerusalem is still there. The word "desolation" means "to lay waste" and when the Babyalonians laid seige to Jerusalem in 587, it was desolated and stayed that way until their return 50 years later in 537. You are right, Jerusalem wasn't destroyed but the Bible never said Jerusalem would be destroyed but that it would be desolated.

• jula71
    jula71

And besides...silly tetra it was rebuilt after "70 years"

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

If anyone is interested, I have constructed an (updated) annotated spreadsheet showing the entirety of the Divided Monarchy and the Neo-Babylonian period as indicated by the Bible, Albright, Thiele and the Watchtower Society.

Requests can be directed to me by e-mail

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

lol, all of this jerusalem and desolation and babylon and prophecy stuff really cracks me up.... he he

tetra, Your use of Babylonian regnal methodology to determine the dates pertaining to Jerusalem are hopelessly flawed because this methodology is falsified by the seventy years which proves that Nebuchadnezzer's reign could not have begun in 605 for you have a shortfall of twenty years. You need to go back to the drawing board and start again.

LOL, whatever...

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

607 verses 586/7 is a battle ground.

Can someone explain me the repercussions if ever the GB admit that they are wrong or if a tablet is found dating conclusively that desolation of Jerusalem occurred on 586/7.

If on the other hand a tablet says the GB are correct do they still have the hurdle of explaining their caculations for 1914 or are those calculations straight forward and easy for say housewife/husband to understand.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Spectrum, The same cuniform tablet that said Babylon fell in 539 also said Jerusalem was desolated in 587. How stupid for the WTS to accept one date and not the other. Of course they can never give up 607 because the organization is built on the 1914 doctrine which was a lie from the beginning of the organization.

• scholar
    scholar

AuldSoul

You misread Jeremiah in your conclusion that the king of Babylon was called to account in 537 becaue it was only after the seventy years had been fulfilled which was 537 that after that event, judgement began to executed agaimst Bablon which is described in detail in 25:12-14.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit