Desolation of Jerusalem

by Alwayshere 240 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Ah. Reliability. Nothing like it...not like that on again, off again tease, DefD. (Just kidding, DefD! Come back anytime you want to create a new account.)

• VM44
    VM44

What happened to mention of the "Celebrated Watchtower Scholars"(tm)? --VM44

• crazies
    crazies

Apostates try to argue for the ridiculous 587 but scholars of higher learning prefer 586 so the apostates are in big trouble.

so you agree with these scholar's when if fits your points scholar? Its nice you follow the society so much yet you are associating with apostates. Isn't that against JW god aka Governing Body?

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Scholar, you are no better than the cult your in. If you would read Zechariah 7 verse 3 right you can see they were stll fasting because they ask if they should" practice an abstinence the way I have done THESE O HOW MANY YEARS." It never said 'THOSE' as in the past but said THESE as in the present. Verse 7 God tell them they had been doing it for 70 years. I know when it comes to what the Bible says and what the WTS says, you have to believe the WTS not the Bible. I know this because I was once a JW.You can't even think for yourself that is called "independent thinking" and is against the WTS's rules. They think and you do what they say you can do and what they say you can not do you arn't supposed to do it. But I see your on this post and you arn't supposed to be. I think you are an elder[a fraud]. Others on here may not agree but I know the elders have to cover for the organization. When the elders came to see me, I ask them to show me from the Bible how they came up with 607. They couldn't, the WTS just throws it out in front of you in their puplications without giving a scripture or refrence and you have to be believe it or they lable you an "Apostate". The real truth is, the WTS is run by Apostates.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

crazies, don't scare him off. He's one of the best foils we could hope for when arguing against Society doctrine. He's impervious, but the desire to try and penetrate his amorphous defenses produces some really fine specimen of reasoning.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul (of the "I'll Get a Vonage Phone Tomorrow" class)

• Desino
    Desino

Scholar

Why don't you relate to my Biblical reasoning from Zakariah? That would be fitting. Ignorance doesn't get you anywhere.

• scholar
    scholar

Alwayshere

Your exegesis of the seventy years mentioned in Zechariah is utter nonsense and simply amounts to your poor comprehension of those two chapters. Zechariah 7:3 simply shows that the now returned Jewish exiles were still mourning over their temple and were continuing a long tradition of fasting and mourning which began soon after the Temple's destruction in 607. This tradition or custom was carried on for the duration of their seventy year Exile and continued for nearly twenty years in their homeland. It is that plain and simple. The angel could properly then speak of such a tradition in the present tense as "these O how many years?" The seventy year text in this chapter and in the first chapter proves that our understanding of the seventy years and 607 is abundantly correct as championed by the celebrated WT scholars.

scholars JW

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This has been thoroughly discussed 6 months ago in a lengthy thread which taught me a lot about scholar among other things.

This is one of my posts in this thread, about the expression "these 70 years" in Zechariah meaning an approximate period running down from the desolation of Jerusalem to Zechariah's time (519/518 BC).

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/1536015/post.ashx#1536015

Please read the posts above and under this one for the complete discussion -- and the whole thread if you have nothing better to do...

• scholar
    scholar

Desino

No research can confirm what year Jerusalem fell because scholars cannot determine whether it was 586 or 587 but biblical research by celebrated WTscholars has determined that 607 is the only correct date.

Zechariah 1:12 simply describes the basic fact that the denunciations upon Judah lasted for seventy years and ran from 607 when the exiles left a devastated land and returned back to their land in 537. Because of the impact of their exile and loss of their home the Jewish exiles were in a state of mourning indicated by the fact that even up until 519 Jerusalem had not then yet been fully restored.Those denunciations are equated with the seventy years and was a past finite period otherwise it could not be a period of seventy years if it was continuative. These words definitley prove that the period had ended or ceased contrary to your exegesis. The only event which would serve as a major starting point would be the Fall of Jerusalem in 607 which was subsequently memmorialzed by annual fastings and mournings.

Zecharian 7:1-5 also delivers a fatal blow to your exegesis and supports the interpretation of the seventy years as a period of exile-servitude-desolation made by celebrated WT scholars. For this states on the fifth and seventh month there was a tradition or custom of 'wailing' which continued from the Fall in 607 right up until the present in 519. The angel reminded the prophet that this practice of mourning had continued for that period of seventy years and they were still doing so.

In short, both these texts prove that tghe seventy years was a noteworthy event in the religious history of Judah and had made a great impact on those people, a great event in their history which the angel drew the prophet's attention to. That period of seventy years was a past, finite event in their history which eventually culminated in their final spiritual restoration with the rebuilding of the Temple and Jerusalem.

scholar JW

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Scholar, from 607 down to 519 is 87 years not 70 years. It's no wonder you so called scholars don't know anything, you poor people can't add or subtract. That is if you say 607 is the first but if you subtract 519 from 607 it is 88 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit