1 Timothy 2:6

by defd 123 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Legolas
    Legolas

Defd..What do you think the BIG news will be?

• defd
    defd

But the word means simply "something given in exchange for something else

Thats what the word ransom means not corresponding.

D.

• defd
    defd

Legolas what are you refering to?

D.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

DefD, not sure where you are studying but the word "corresponding" isn't in the Greek text there. The Greek word used, even in the KIT is antilutron. It means what it means: ransom. Corresponding isn't in the meaning.

If that meaning were intended one would expect to see either isotes or sunelikiotes in some form in the text.

AuldSoul

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Legolas what are you refering to?

The upcoming news Barbara will post this week. But we don't know what it is yet.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/103353/1.ashx

• TD
    TD
    Thanks finally. I looked it and and saw that the other versions left it out.

You make it sound like a translational lacuna. That's not true. Nothing was left out.

Correspondency is inherent in the concept of a ransom. (i.e. One thing given in exhange for another) and the NWT is simply redundant in translating antilutron as "Corresponding Ransom" instead of just "Ransom." IOW Of course price of redemption corresponds, if it didn't, it wouldn't be a "Ransom."

Don't misunderstand, this doesn't make the NWT wrong. But by the same token, this rendering doesn't make it better or more accurate than other translations either.

• defd
    defd

I dont know who barbra is. Who is she?

D.

Auldsould I looked up the site finallyfree gave me in this topic at the beginning.

D.

• defd
    defd

Td it makes a big difference. Ransom and Corresponding does NOT mean the same! However put them togehter it means something all together different. .

corresponding

3 entries found for corresponding.

To select an entry, click on it.
    Main Entry: corresponding

Function: adjective

1 a : having or participating in the same relationship

So what does that say about Jesus Ransom? What did he pay a price for? For PERFECT HUMAN LIFE. Adam forfieted perfect human life Jesus bought it back by paying the Ransom... ( the Corresponding Ransom) Perfect life for perfect life. Which also would help in understanding the Jesus being God doctrine. If Jesus were God would it have really been a CORRESPONDING ransom?

D.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"Corresponding ransom" is an overtranslation of antilutron. A frequent yet insignificant sin of the NWT when compared to other cases.

The phrasing begs the question, "corresponding to what?/whom?" -- and the WT answer ("the perfect life of Adam") is never what the context states.

1 Timothy 2:6, who gave himself a ransom for all (ho dous heauton antilutron huper pantôn) is a stylistic variation (better / less Semitic Greek) on the saying in Mark 10:45 // Matthew 20:28, to give his life a ransom for many (dounai tèn psukhèn autou lutron anti pollôn).

• TD
    TD

LOL Defd --- You're casting the NWT in a very bad light.

It sounds very much like you belive their rendering of the captioned scripture is theologically, rather than linguistically motivated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit