why disfellowshipped?

by knothead34 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I was df'd for "apostasy" almost 20 years ago.

I had been a "pioneer," "Bethelite" and "pioneer" again... I never criticised the organisation publicly. Gradually I dropped using WT literature and focused on the Bible, especially the NT. With a friend of mine I was summoned by the local body of elders plus two circuit overseers. The only thing they could say is that "we were speaking too much about Jesus." A couple of meetings later, this turned into a judicial committee with a list of doctrinal questions to answer by "yes" or "no". That's about it.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    speaking too much about Jesus

words fail...yet this was a strong impression I received growing up--that one was not to speak too much or too highly of Jesus, and householders in FS who did were viewed as a bit "imbalanced"...ok then.

~Merry (of the "stills wonders why they call themselves Christian" class)

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi knothead, and welcome to the board.

I wasn't disfellowshipped, I disassociated for several reasons, the main one being the wts's secretive attitude to child abuse. It seems to me that they protect the criminals and persecute the victims if they dare to speak out or go to the police, which is that the wts should be doing if they had a single shred of decency in them, I learned from personal experience, however, that the wts DO NOT have any decency at all. For example, the person I studied with is now in prison, serving a 7 year sentence for raping his children and other children as well. The elders knew all about him, and had done for years, but had done nothing, and were about to appoint him as an elder when he was arrested. He is still regarded as a jw, and will be welcomed back to the fold when he is released. As for his victims, the family who went to the police have been disfellowshipped. The wts are such a loving organisation, are they not?

Also, their hypocritical attitude in joining the UN after condemning other religions who were members, then the lies they told as an excuse for joining.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the wts do not have the truth, they do not practice the truth and they very rarely tell the truth. They are a lying, manipulative, hypocritical organisation who will one day, hopefully in my lifetime, get their just deserts. If you do join them, then you may well go down with them, so take care. Are you are familiar with Pauls words in Galatians: "Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap" ? Most of us on this board are well aware of what the wts has sown over the years. If that scripture comes true, they will reap exactly the same.

dedpoet

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was df-ed for having a guilty conscience...for committing emotional adultury...and feeling so bad about it that i had to confess to a loving god and his organization who would understand that i hadnt done it deliberately and that i was repentant and would do whatever was nessarcary to correct the wrong

that wasnt what would have been put on the df-ing form though...that would probably read...he is a scheming manipulative lying perverted sexual predator

that doesnt make it true though

• knothead34
    knothead34

thank you all for your stories. These really are astounding and disturbing reasons. I fully believe that one reaps what they sow. while I have continued to go to the KH, I have had doubts for many months now and am just curious to others experience. I guess you could say that I am collecting a lot of data.

Thanks again

• smartone
    smartone

It seems that the answer your getting from some of these people is not what you asked. It is sad to say that sometimes when an individual gets disfellowshped they get very bitter. The grounds for being disfellowship is very clear in the Bible. It is not hard to figure that out. Now I have read some dishearting things like the abuse of someones child. I did not grow up in the truth and I myself is one of the abused. You talk about someone getting away with it, this Man who came in our lives that my own Mother brought in got away with his just about everything he did. Now as I got older I had to protect myself and thats what I did. I finally met one of Jehovahs witness and I must say when they met me I was a mess. It was the first time people took interest in me by teaching me to take care of my self and relying on God for support. When we all study the scriptures we all have to do it for ourself. Sad to say some have wrong motives and want something different. I basically wanted the truth and thats what I believe I found. We see that in times that what was taught along time ago or the understanding of the brothers might not have been exactly right. But we also see in those cases that when there is new light shed the brothers adjust and make corrections. I fully believe that there is nothing wrong with that. We are in perfect and we make mistakes but we have to understand that if we pray for Jehovah's direction and sprit that the truth will always prevail. There is always someone out there who is going to try and bring controversy, And we know who the first being is that brings that controversy. Satan the Devil. So as regards to what some of the friends have suffered maybe something was not exactly handle the best in the congregation by the Elders or maybe even some of the friends. We never want to give up on whats most important and that is Jehovah. Take the time and look up this scripture 1 Corinthians 10:31, and Romans 12:11. We also have to remmember that even though these Elders are to lead us and help us in our faith we always have to remmember that they are just imperfect men and can fall and make mistakes, and for that we cannot become as 1 Cor 7:23 says we must not become slaves of men. So for the few that may feel they have been wronged in the Congregation always take your load to Jehovah and as Proverbs 3: 5,6 says trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not lean apon your own understanding. I believe that Disfellowshipping is a nesassary thing and it is according to the Bible. But of couarse as I have learned that it is not always a case if you sin against Jehovah or someone in the Congregation if a person is truly repentant than surely would it not be the loveing thing to forgive. So that is why alot of times when an individual does something wrong the Elders are not going to gossip about the details of what that person did. Our minds because of this world does not always see the good in people so why feed the fire. So what might seem a cover up to you might really be a protection. Now with the molestor well I have a different feeling about that and if the police are involved then that could never be hidden the Elders might not elaborate on it but you will see that individuals picture in the sex offenders. So protect your children no matter who they are because in this imperfect world we will never no all the true motives of men. But we will always know the rue motives of Jehovah. Take care hope this helps

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Smartone:

Have you researched the policy of Jehovah's witnesses about child sexual abuse?

Can you trust them if you find that the lied and are lying about it?

If they are lying, do you still believe that God is backing them?

P

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    It seems that the answer your getting from some of these people is not what you asked

Where did they not answer the question Smartone? I think that knothead asked and YOU didnt like the answers that were given; contrary to your beliefs not everyone disfellowshipped here is bitter.

I finally met one of Jehovahs witness and I must say when they met me I was a mess. It was the first time people took interest in me by teaching me to take care of my self and relying on God for support. Have you ever really studied the scriptures or do you study a book other than the bible?

I am sorry to hear that you were as you put it 'a mess', there are many like you who simply had nowhere else to turn; my mother was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and suicidal when the knock came? I know many others in similar circumstances, do you see a pattern developing?

When we all study the scriptures we all have to do it for ourself.
    Agreed but what other viewpoints have you considered in your studies? are you encouraged to consider other viewpoints in your studies and how are those viewpoints covered in the books you use to assist your study?

But of couarse as I have learned that it is not always a case if you sin against Jehovah or someone in the Congregation if a person is truly repentant than surely would it not be the loveing thing to forgive

So how do you equate this with Tijkmo's experience where he was genuinely sorry for what he did and yet was still shunned? Do you believe that this was love? If you accept that it wasnt do you accept then that the works upon which Gods people are identified were simply not present in this case? It would be interesting to read your responses to the above. Welcome to the forum

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome smartone (?)

The following article (Watchtower 4/1, 1986) was published a few weeks before I was df'd. (That was quite like the "writing on the wall" to me.) Read it and tell us what you think.

·

Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ?

Those who voice such an objection point out that many religious organizations claiming to be Christian allow dissident views. Even some clergymen disagree with basic teachings of their church, yet they remain in good standing. In nearly all the denominations of Christendom, there are modernists and fundamentalists who greatly disagree with one another as to the inspiration of the Scriptures.

However, such examples provide no grounds for our doing the same. Why not? Many of such denominations allow widely divergent views among the clergy and the laity because they feel they cannot be certain as to just what is Bible truth. They are like the scribes and Pharisees of Jesus’ day who were unable to speak as persons having authority, which is how Jesus taught. (Matthew 7:29) Moreover, to the extent that religionists believe in interfaith, they are obligated not to take divergent beliefs too seriously.

But taking such a view of matters has no basis in the Scriptures. Jesus did not make common cause with any of the sects of Judaism. Jews of those sects professed to believe in the God of creation and in the Hebrew Scriptures, particularly the Law of Moses. Still, Jesus told his disciples to "watch out . . . for the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees." (Matthew 16:11, 12; 23:15) Note also how strongly the apostle Paul stated matters: "Even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed." Paul then repeated that statement for emphasis.—Galatians 1:8, 9.

Teaching dissident or divergent views is not compatible with true Christianity, as Paul makes clear at 1 Corinthians 1:10: "I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought." (New International Version) At Ephesians 4:3-6 he further stated that Christians should be "earnestly endeavoring to observe the oneness of the spirit in the uniting bond of peace. One body there is, and one spirit, even as you were called in the one hope to which you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all persons."

Was this unity to be achieved and maintained by each one’s independently searching the Scriptures, coming to his own conclusions, and then teaching these? Not at all! Through Jesus Christ, Jehovah God provided for this purpose "some as apostles, . . . some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers . . . until we all attain to the oneness in the faith and in the accurate knowledge of the Son of God, to a full-grown man." Yes, with the help of such ministers, congregational unity—oneness in teaching and activity—could be and would be possible.—Ephesians 4:11-13.

Obviously, a basis for approved fellowship with Jehovah’s Witnesses cannot rest merely on a belief in God, in the Bible, in Jesus Christ, and so forth. The Roman Catholic pope, as well as the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury, professes such beliefs, yet their church memberships are exclusive of each other. Likewise, simply professing to have such beliefs would not authorize one to be known as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

That the great issue before humankind is the rightfulness of Jehovah’s sovereignty, which is why he has allowed wickedness so long. (Ezekiel 25:17) That Jesus Christ had a prehuman existence and is subordinate to his heavenly Father. (John 14:28) That there is a "faithful and discreet slave" upon earth today ‘entrusted with all of Jesus’ earthly interests,’ which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christ’s foretold presence. (Luke 21:7-24; Revelation 11:15–12:10) That only 144,000 Christians will receive the heavenly reward. (Revelation 14:1, 3) That Armageddon, referring to the battle of the great day of God the Almighty, is near. (Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:11-21) That it will be followed by Christ’s Millennial Reign, which will restore an earth-wide paradise. That the first to enjoy it will be the present "great crowd" of Jesus’ "other sheep."—John 10:16; Revelation 7:9-17; 21:3, 4.

Do we have Scriptural precedent for taking such a strict position? Indeed we do! Paul wrote about some in his day: "Their word will spread like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of that number. These very men have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some." (2 Timothy 2:17, 18; see also Matthew 18:6.) There is nothing to indicate that these men did not believe in God, in the Bible, in Jesus’ sacrifice. Yet, on this one basic point, what they were teaching as to the time of the resurrection, Paul rightly branded them as apostates, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship.

Similarly, the apostle John termed as antichrists those who did not believe that Jesus had come in the flesh. They may well have believed in God, in the Hebrew Scriptures, in Jesus as God’s Son, and so on. But on this point, that Jesus had actually come in the flesh, they disagreed and thus were termed "antichrist." John goes on to say regarding those holding such variant views: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works."—2 John 7, 10, 11.

Following such Scriptural patterns, if a Christian (who claims belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus) unrepentantly promotes false teachings, it may be necessary for him to be expelled from the congregation. (See Titus 3:10, 11.) Of course, if a person just has doubts or is uninformed on a point, qualified ministers will lovingly assist him. This accords with the counsel: "Continue showing mercy to some that have doubts; save them by snatching them out of the fire." (Jude 22, 23) Hence, the true Christian congregation cannot rightly be accused of being harshly dogmatic, but it does highly value and work toward the unity encouraged in God’s Word.

• glitter
    glitter

I'm neither disfellowshipped nor disassociated. I believed until I dropped the "Truth" like a hot brick after seeing a documentary about the paedophile scandal. I spent the next couple of days on the Internet (I'd never searched for Witness-related things until then, even to find pro-JW boards or anything), and I was heartbroken and appalled to learn it was all lies - but I was happy I'd broken away.

It's still a secret that I am apostate, though - purely to save my mum from from awkward questions about how much "apostate material" she knows about and knows to be true.

I knew of people DA-ing because they woke up to what was going on, or simple couldn't take the pressure anymore - of course I thought this was terrible back then! But I only knew of three disfellowshippings:

1. The husband of a Sister my family was close to. I don't know what he did, I just remember that he worked at the Houses of Parliament as a cleaner (maybe that was it) and was working towards reinstatement.

2. A Sister who was disfellowshipped for going to see "The Silence of the Lambs"!

3. A Sister whose husband cheated on her, but denied it to the Elders. She then divorced him and eventually re-married in her new congregation. She got disfellowshipped for adultery because she wasn't free to marry... She's reinstated.

that one was not to speak too much or too highly of Jesus, and householders in FS who did were viewed as a bit "imbalanced"...ok then.

This is soooooo true. I remember feeling so uneasy about people who talked about Jesus on the doors, as if they'd started talking about something *totally* non-JW like Allah or ghosts! I knew Jesus was supposed to be important, but I didn't feel the same way about Jesus my Fundamentalist Christian friend does - and I certainly wasn't encouraged to!

Just the other day me, mum, and some JWs were talking about the "Chronicles of Narnia" and how it's allegorical. There was so much embarrassment! My mum (a fan since childhood) was very defensive about whether she's "allowed" to read it and said "Well, we don't *have* to think of it that way". A JW's verdict on the controversy about "The Passion of the Christ" was "It's making such a fuss about Jesus!"

But it's OK because they have "The Greatest Man" book and commemorate the Memorial...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit