Even if the bible is not inspired, is Christianity a good thing?

by jwfacts 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• skyman
    skyman

No I am not joking what I said is true. You need to go to a good college library that has all of the details about the CREED and what happen there. It really did happen and another thing even the JEW were there because all the religions under the Romans were there. So the Jewish leaders voted either for JEsus or Judas. Makes you wonder what the Jew gained.

• skyman
    skyman

If a person really studies other writing of the time of Jesus. You find that many Christ lived about the time of Jesus. Christ was any man born of Royal blood. So the word Christ is nothing more than a title that prince Charles could rightfully use even today. Makes the thinking person stop for a minute and reflect.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Skyman...As somone who sometimes tosses out silly theories myself, that one is a hoot.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

An interesting discussion, and some great points made here.

It seems to me that Jesus was a Jewish teacher with some great ideas (though we can hardly see which are his and those added by his followers and plagarized from other teachers) - later on Paul created "Christianity." It's sort of like the story I've heard about God finding a gem on the earth and picking it up. "What's that?" Satan asks him. "Truth," God answers. "Hmmm..." Satan responds, reaching for it. "Let me organize that for you!" I don't believe in either god or satan, but you get the idea.

I've read a lot of Gandhi, and if I remember correctly (and there's no guarantee of that!), he had been reading the Sermon on the Mount, and told an English official that if the Hindu's and Christians could get together on those prinicpals, they'd do pretty well. So he was really referring to what this Jewish teacher Jesus was purported to have said long before there was a Christian religion.

The origins of Christian teaching are really a fascinating - and very incomplete - study. Read The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels for an interesting look at what was happening when "christianity" was developing. It seems what we have today as the Greek Scriptures and "Christian" teachings is really the result of a whole lot of political in-fighting, argument and bullying. The Witness teaching that the Biblical canon was the result of some sort of orderly, god-directed process is utter bullshit. Lots of the books that we now accept as part of the Greek Scriptures were not accepted for a couple hundred years after Jesus came and went, and some that were long accepted aren't there. Some of these are even mentioned in the "accepted text."

Is Christianity a good thing? Probably parts of it, in the same way that there are probably parts of radical Islam that are good - or that most people would consider good.

Perhaps anyone interested in pursuing this further might find a copy of Aldous Huxley's Perrennial Philosophy, which pursues the idea that there are essential 'truths' (small t) in all religions, which if followed, would go a long way to making this world a better place for all of us. Huxley published the book in 1946. You can see what an impact it's made on humankind over the past 60 years.

S4

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    there are essential 'truths' (small t) in all religions, which if followed, would go a long way to making this world a better place

The Wiccan Creed:

An it hurts none, do what thou wilt. I think it actually takes it several steps farther, because that includes self, animals, and earth.

Sherry

• skyman
    skyman

Skyman...As somone who sometimes tosses out silly theories myself, that one is a hoot

That is no theory it is true. I did not believe a Athiest friend that has written dozens of books against the Christian religion so I called his bluff and when to the State College library and there it was right infront of me. Why does not everyone know this it is simple the Powers that are incontrol over the Christian Churchs don't want you to know. Go find out for yourselves like I did.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A few months ago I came across Anton Szander LaVey's Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth and the Nine Satanic Sins.

I printed them out and carry them with me, because they make a huge amount of sense. For example, among the Satanic rules are:

When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

Do not harm little children.

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

You can find wisdom in a lot of unexpected places, Christianity and the Church of Satan among them.

S4

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

skyman....I am quite familiar with early Christian literature, and I haven't the foggiest idea of any notion described in your last posts. The council, BTW, invited 1,800 Christian bishops and 200-318 showed up; it was an ecumenical council and not one that had invited non-Christian Jews and non-Christian pagans to vote on matters, and they most certainly were not there to choose between Jesus or Judas to be "Christ" (with Jesus winning by only four votes), or to create a new "church", etc. It wasn't the Da Vinci Code or something like that you had read, was it? That book's presentation of the Council of Nicaea is about as off base as the one you seem to be suggesting.

Here is a little bit on the council itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Has anybody ever heard of an athiest homeless shelter or the satanic food bank?

There are thousands of Christian charities world wide feeding, housing, clothing and loving those in need. When I was trying to place a homeless man recently (We already had one homeless young man living with us waiting for his physical to enter a free Christian drug rehab), I called the authorities and found there was nothing available for this homeless young man in that town.

After calling the local churches I ended up with a network of Christian shelters for that area. There was not one satanic shelter, athiest shelter, Buddhist shelter, Hindu Shelter, Muslim or any other religion, just Christian. In my town when I was newly disabled and in need I got free food and money from three sources; Catholic Charities (I'm not Catholic), Calvary Chapel, and the Salvation Army (Christian of course). There are Christian orphanages world wide, charities that do obscure things like travel around Africa drilling wells for tribes where people die slow deaths due to dysentary from bad water. There are Christian medical hospitals and clinics worldwide.

Tomorrow the members of my church will be wrapping presents for children in the Angel Tree program. It is a Christian prison ministry connecting prisoners with their children over the hollidays. We are already starting plans on feeding the entire homeless community Thanksgiving next year. The other church in the area has another weekly food distribution and free hot meals daily.

Is Christianity a good thing? In my humblest of opinions YES

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Kate, a great many charitable works are done by Atheists as well as modern 'Pagans' and 'heathens'. They just don't often feel the need to put their philosophical/religious orientation in the limelight when they do it. Atheists et.al often contribute to faith based charities basing their decision on the value of the work they do. Christains would not likely support a charity that was named " Atheists of America" or the like. For this reason there are few charities so named. The largest humanitarian organization in the world, the Red Cross, is not a Christian charity. It is secular, supported by Atheists like myself as well as people of all faiths. Charities are finaced by and organized by kind hearted people not just those with a Christian lable. Therefore in my opinion a world without Christianity would not be less charitable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit