Even if the bible is not inspired, is Christianity a good thing?

by jwfacts 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Golf
    Golf

Little Toe, I had erased the word 'religion' in my original wording and used Christianity because that's that the topic called for, Christianity.

Had I used religion, some poster could have said, he's talking about Christianity. The question applies to all religions, inspired or not.

Golf

• gumby
    gumby

Qcumbr,

Christianity when practised as a series of principles - love thy neighbour, have humility, self-sacrifice, have compassion, live life with hope etc.. is presumably not under debate..... but christianity with the dogma of man added is a whole bag of cr*p

I think had the bible stopped at the Gospels, Christianity would have been more like what Jesus taught. When Paul came along, and the other writers of the epistles....it all went to hell. The setting up of churches, church leadership (bishops, deacons etc.), made it become a mans religion as you speak of.

Gumby

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Some great comments.

Gumby, I tend to agree, Jesus certainly was giving a general principle based guide to finding spirituality. But I struggle with Paul. He shows that Christ was the end to the oppresive Mosaic law, then true to his training went and introduced a whole host of new ones.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Jesus was probably a libra, remember we were taught he was probably born in October. He was very empathetic and kind, and very dynamic. Paul on the other hand, (I'm going to leave out what sign I think he was because I'll offend someone!!), was anal, and autocratic, not to mention more logical thinking. He took Jesus simple command (love your neighbor as yourself) and turned it into a whole book of procedure and instruction. Come to think of it, I think I've worked with him before!!

To answer the topic of the question, if it were followed in that one command of Jesus, it would be. Very few follow it that way, with Ross being one exception that I can think of. Otherwise, absolutely, unequivically NO.

Sherry

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Nice thoughts. Too bad the reality has been so damnably ugly, violent and ignorant. Read some unvarnished Christian history and see the fruit mainstrean Christianity has borne. A good tree does not bear rotten fruit, it's as simple as that. Mainstream Christianity is a rotten tree that has borne rotten fruit for the most part. There are shining exceptions, but they remain the exception. The hateful, nasty, Bible-wielding christians on this board are the rule, not the exception. To be fair, such is the case with literalists/fundamentalists of all religions.

Obtain and read The Dark Side of Christian History by Helen Ellerbee for a short, concise, honest and easily readable account of...the dark side of Christian history. History cannot be ignored in an honest and accurate assessment of the worth of mainstream Christianity.

Yours not in Joe Hovah,
    Nate

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Even Gandhi acknowledged that if people really applied the teachings of Jesus the world would be a better place - so yes Christainity is a good thing

• skyman
    skyman

I'll give you something to think about. In 325 at constanople or the Nisan creed all the relegions of the world were called to creat a new chruch that the world would unite around. At the counsel they voted to make Christ Jesus the leader. Note this!!!! he almost lost that vote another Christ by the name of Judus. Jesus won if I remember correctly by only four votes. Both Men were considered Christ: which actually means a son of a GOD which made him a GOD or as we say Christ. Why such a close vote if Jesus was so clearly the correct Christ?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Actually there is no evidence Ghandi said that. For that matter there is no evidence a 'Jesus' said any of the often contradictory things ascribed to him by the NT writers. When asking what is the value of 'Christianity' we have to first define it. It can't be done. There is no one single ideology or philosophy in the NT or even the Gospels. Therefore the question is mute. The basic ethical code (honesty,love,forgiveness) that many assume to be the core of Christianity was drawn from the human social awareness of the day, it does not stand out as unique on specially enlightened.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I'll give you something to think about. In 325 at constanople or the Nisan creed all the relegions of the world were called to creat a new chruch that the world would unite around. At the counsel they voted to make Christ Jesus the leader. Note this!!!! he almost lost that vote another Christ by the name of Judus. Jesus won if I remember correctly by only four votes. Both Men were considered Christ: which actually means a son of a GOD which made him a GOD or as we say Christ. Why such a close vote if Jesus was so clearly the correct Christ?

LMAO!! You're joking right?

• hooberus
    hooberus

If the Bible isn't actually true, then we probably got here by some sort of materialist evolutionary process- in which case there really is no way to say that anything is objectively "good." As well known evolutionist William Provine pointed out: "Let me summarize my views on what modern evolutionary biology tells us loud and clear … There are no gods, no purposes, no goal-directed forces of any kind. There is no life after death. When I die, I am absolutely certain that I am going to be dead. That’s the end for me. There is no ultimate foundation for ethics, no ultimate meaning to life, and no free will for humans, either." William Provine 1994 (Cornell University biological sciences professor). (see also http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/isd/batten.asp)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit