Is it all downhill after leaving JW's?

by lynnmelo 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Lynn I have to say that I think your feelings on this are normal and justified. if you just sat here and accepted everything you read at face value you won't be any further ahead than if you stayed with the JWs.

There are some very devout Christains here. I think one of the differences though is that after years of preaching door to door they tend to be a bit quieter than many of others who have accepted other beliefs.

I still be lieve in some power or being that is greater than me. I'm still working on what that is. I do know I am more spiritual than I ever was as a JW. I am more connected to my spirituality than I ever was. That feels good to me. And I feel no particular need to force some sort of belief. I'm sure that a loving Father will understand my need for caution in this matter.

There are so many others here who feel so betrayed by the WTS. They too feel a great need to explore and find their own ways. I don't think any of us are willing to accept that anyone has the "truth" We demand more than someone saying "Because I said so."

Keep reading. Keep learning. Keep exploring what is right for you. I believe the statement "Seek and you shall find"

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I just got the general impression that they were bad news, that they could hinder one's spirituality.

Ah, well, I guess it depends on how you define spirituality. JW's like to talk about their unity, but a fairer term for it would be "conformity". Those that leave JW's are sick of conformity, they want to explore things for themselves. Rather than accept the "approved" answers to their questions from the Watchtower, they start looking into the Bible and other sources to determine what they think the answers are.

If a person's goal is to conform to the Watchtower's ideal, then visting this and other similar sites would probably prove to be a hindrance. But why would a person decide to conform to any man-made organization's ideal?

Dave

• Es
    Es

My life has never been better since leaving the borg.

It kinda seems your looking for one of us to say you know what the JW are true, its like you need reasurance. If you believe truly in it then thats your choice and i alot of us here would respect that, so go the whole plunge and get baptised and live your life fully by there standards

es

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hi lynnmelo,

Since I left the Witnesses in 2002 after 10 years of involvement, I have fornicated a few times, smoked cigarettes on and off, smoked pot a handful of times, gotten shit-faced drunk once, voted, watched R-rated movies, celebrated birthdays and holidays, cussed freely, etc.

Now obviously by JW standards I have fallen from grace. But, I'm free to be me, and for me that freedom means that I no longer aspire to live by a rigid and puritannical moral code. And I am much happier now and much more well-liked by the people in my life. I no longer constantly worry about "stumbling" people or not doing enough in "Jehovah's service" which would mean actively seeking out converts to a religion that I was never completely sold on myself.

I think that it might be difficult for somebody who has never actually lived the life to understand just how stale, depressing, and growth-stunting JWism gets to be after a while.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lynnmelo, you seem like a reasonable person... I have not seen you make personal attacks on people. At the same time I do see where you still need to learn that there are many ideas out there that are not the same as your own or those of the Watchtower Society.

You present yourself as a devout believer in the bible and the Christian god. That is something that is a personal decision for you. You must also realize that there are many other people out there with ideas that are in blatant contradiction to these ideas.

Who is right and who is wrong? Well, because of the "faith" aspect of religion there is no way to demonstrate who is right and who is wrong using nothing but logic and empirical evidence. In the end it is all “faith” and nothing more.

I saw that you took offence at the idea of someone making posts about contradictions in the bible. As an atheist I can't help but see many blatant contradictions in the bible... as a devout Christian you can't help but not see them.

To get to my point... just because someone does not believe the same things as you does not mean they are going "downhill". They just have ideas that are different from your own.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I was hoping to find that people really didn't need the JW's "spiritual food" to remain true to God.

Dear Lynn,

I can think of no more honorable a desire that to be true to God; or be true to Truth.

As you seek for spiritual food, do you feel in your heart that God is ever less or always infinitely more than our understandings of Him?

j

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

Ater reading your post and thinking carefully about what you were saying, My question is, have you taken over 5 minutes to read anythings on this board? If this is how you feel about the people and the information provided here then he my suggestion is to go down to your local Kingdom Hall Sunday, crawling on your belly begging the elders for mercy and help. Tell them that the evil bunch of bashers on the JW Discussion Board proved they were right with Jehovah all along. With your kind of reasoning you should be back in good graces almost overnight, a MS within six months, an elder, two years max, and a CO within five years. Hell, you might make it straight to the governing body as soon as you claim you're one of the anointed. Sounds to me like you're ready That's uphill for sure.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

If we could poll JW's and get a real answer how many of them do you think would say that god is the most important thing in their lives? Even the super fundy pioneers would (if honest) answer the Society... NOT GOD!

As to god he can kiss mine! Get off the pedestal!

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

No, but it does take time though to separate yourself from a controlling religious cult. There is anger and some bitterness among many, especially those who have lost their families because of this religion's teaching. Some family have members died because of the WT teaching on sustaining from blood. Some have been rejected by their family and friends and treated as if they had died. Some have been pressured so much by the religion they have had mental and physical breakdowns. None of this is casual stuff--this is heavy life changing trauma. A lot of people here (myself included) come here to vent sometimes and to share our experinces and try to heal ourselves. Please understand and listen--don't judge--the religion has given us enough of that. Welcome...

cybs

• lynnmelo
    lynnmelo
    If this is how you feel about the people and the information provided here then he my suggestion is to go down to your local Kingdom Hall Sunday, crawling on your belly begging the elders for mercy and help. Tell them that the evil bunch of bashers on the JW Discussion Board proved they were right with Jehovah all along. With your kind of reasoning you should be back in good graces almost overnight, a MS within six months, an elder, two years max, and a CO within five years. Hell, you might make it straight to the governing body as soon as you claim you're one of the anointed. Sounds to me like you're ready That's uphill for sure.

Nah--not my style, but thanks for the suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit