PROGRAMED – working out the dark side in art

by seven006 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

For whatever my uneducated opinion is worth, that's great stuff. I looked around your site and also really loved Sports 2 and Wire Woman.

• seven006
    seven006

Chris,

A Texas cowboy at the Louvre, boy the world is changing for the good. I haven’t known you for 22 years but if I had I would have been agreeing with Nina smacking you upside the head the whole time. Being humble can be a good thing but it has limits. I use to be like you, a quiet observer of life, then I got pissed and started giving my opinion. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it’s just an opinion. It’s an Emperor’s New Clothes kind of thing. Sometimes you just need to
    look around you and scream out “the guy is naked you morons!” Now I’m back to pretty much looking around and keeping my opinions to myself. Not humble, meek, or anything like that, just a bit quiet. I have found that a lot of people cannot, and will not, ever “get it”. Life goes on.

If it takes someone that you highly respect to tell you that you are smart and your opinions are worthy of consideration then that is just one more aspect of “getting it” if it works. If you have seen me in that way (which we have talked about before) then your respect has some purpose. Maybe Nina has just been too close to you for you to always see it from her. I know you do but hearing it from another person who is not so close to you and you respect can help open your eyes to what has been right in front of you the whole time. That is kind of why I started (as my artist friend has always told me) painting my dark side. Posting it here has only reinforced the fact that he was right. I can be such a stubborn son of a bitch. I have always painted what I knew was going to sell, not what I felt. I thought what I felt wouldn’t be understood or appreciated by anyone else besides myself. Now, who’s the dumb one? I’m going to keep doing this style for a while and knock out some dark stuff that I have thought about doing for years. I’ll post some of it here and I would love to know what you think.

Take care my friend.

Don’t try and pull off the dumb blond thing with me. You are way too smart for me to buy it and so am I. Now your sister…that’s another story.

Big hug you nut.

Euphemism,

I love your avatar. A police mug shot where the person is smiling. It cracked me up the second I saw it. Thanks for the complement. Sports 2 is my middle son Abe.

Dave

• onacruse
    onacruse
    I have no idea what the hell you are saying. As usual. Nice to see you out of your cave.

We walk our own paths, bizarre as they may be.

Rather than call you, I'll post my thoughts here, anticipating your typical incisive (and frequently, merciless) dissection of my perspectives.

You've divorced yourself from emotional attachment to anything, or anyone, for a long, long time. Your art, as impressively contented as it is, is nonetheless, imho, nothing more than a way for you to make money.

Rather utilitarian, isn't it?

And in the same breath (or post), I must say the same about myself.

When was the last time you gave a flying f*** about anything on this planet, including yourself, or even your f***ing art?

"Art" is in the life of the being.

If you have a "being" in your life, then I would most sincerely (as you know) desire within my own being to know what it is.

Perhaps it's as simple as acknowledging that the heritage of being an ex-JW is "nothingness."

What say you?

Craig (who will not call you again, unless you do first).

• seven006
    seven006

Craig,

You are way too sensitive. I am way to insensitive. As you know, I don’t call anyone unless I have something significant to say so don’t take it personal. For a long time I just haven’t had much to say to anyone.

You’re right, I have only done art most of my life as something to make money at. I am not emotionally attached to my art anymore than you are emotionally attached to your hammer. That is why I am trying to listen to a few art people I know and do what they say I should have done a long time ago. I’m trying to get excited about what I do but I can’t seem to really give a shit. I’m working on it.

Maybe it’s because I was raised without true emotion. It was only that fake crying crap you saw at the kingdom hall when someone got DFed. Maybe thats why I suck at relationships. Maybe this, maybe that. I don’t know. I just know I need to give a shit about something before I die. Maybe doing some art with some feeling to it will flip my switch. If you get a phone call from me, you’ll know it worked.

Take care ya nut, and put the beer down.

Dave

• bisous
    bisous

wavey: ok, cent .01: IMO, it does evoke dark sentiments but the picture itself isn't exactly "dark" to me ... so it communicates an expression of darkness ... definitely get the programmed element with what you have depicted. Aspects of the face are lifelike to me but not the eyes...I'd get and feel more emotion if the the figure was more realistic vs. somewhat robotic in nature. cent .02: I think using graphic / computer art as your medium vs. paint or other "messy" art allows you to maintain an impersonal distance from your art....and perhaps your exploration. You could possibly connect more by using media that is more tactile in nature ... whether oils etc. that you more closely feel and connect with your senses including smell, touch etc. You might have a more visceral reaction. Could it be your computer is a wall between you and the emotion of your art? a sort of shield that restricts a breakthrough to more personal expression .... big hugs. dr. kim

• bisous
    bisous

"I just know I need to give a shit about something before I die. " I know for a fact you give a BIG OLE shit for your kids and theirs. And ya ain't anywhere near dead yet. Ornery bastid. (That's a hell of a lot more important than your quest for an art connection).

• alamb
    alamb

I was looking for the "mind cage/Watchtower head thing"? awhile back. That had an impact on me. How do I find that? Great stuff!

• chrissy
    chrissy

keep on working it out, seven006, i enjoy looking. the nudes are of particular interest.

have you visited the SAM and seen Curtis Steiner and Galen Lowe's exhibit?

...something in programed, maybe its the old typewriter keys, pleasantly reminds me of their exhibit.

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibit/exhibitDetail.asp?WHEN=&eventID=7952

lowe also has a pretty nifty little art/antique gallery in queen anne if you ever make it up to seattle.

thanks for sharing.

chrissy

• seven006
    seven006

Dr. Biscuits,

Bite me. I use the computer for my art because I like the digital medium. I don’t have to clean up after it and I hate to pay for new carpets every time I move because they are stained with paint. I also hate the smell of oil paint and turpentine. I have enough paint, brushes and easels to open my own art store but they are all in storage. I like using the computer to do my art. I have for over 12 years. Technology has finally caught up with my vision and I can now print as many fine art pieces of one image as I want and they look great.

Yes, I do give a shit about my kids ad they like me a little too. One of them has listed me as his hero on his my space page. I think he is smoking pot again.

Thanks for the psychological profiling of my attachment issues but I have come to the conclusion if I ever want to get close to anybody or anything again, I’ll buy a puppy.

Now go back to counting your banks money ya nut.

Take care.

Alamb,

I don’t have that piece on my site and I know I must have it on my hard drive somewhere but I’ll have to look for it. I’ll try to post it here if I can fine it.

Chrissy,

I’m glad you like the nudes. I like them myself. Seattle has some great art, Portland art galleries suck pond water. Iv never seen so much crap in my life.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

I haven’t been to Seattle in years. The last time is when their art museum opened. I have checked out some of their online art galleries and when I’m ready and have a few more pieces done I might take a little trip up there. I have heard of the Queen Ann area and it is something I might check out. Thanks.

Dave

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Craig my friend, forgive me for intruding on your post to Dave, but I must disagree. I don't have All Dave-All the Time TV, but I do know he cared enough about me once to not only call but to stay on the phone for an hour (which is not an easy thing to do). I've also some some very insightful posts by him aimed at a few people. I daresay if he didn't give a damn, I doubt Dave would say much at all.

Just because one steps back doesn't mean the interest or care isn't there. I was out of balance myself, so I've stepped back and observed the world for a while, and I'll probably continue observing a while longer. Perhaps I'll come out; perhaps I won't. I'm more comfortable alone, but I've never been lonely.

I won't speak for Dave, but I've taken him as being somewhat similar.

Speaking of which Craig, how are you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit