JW mom told 6 y/o grandson Santa was fake

by unbeliever 55 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    There are more creative, truthful ways to entertain kids.

......like telling them Armaggedon will arrive in 1975....?

• blakky
    blakky

We are talking about kids & SANTA CLAUSE.

Seriously. You know how you felt when you found out that you were lied to about the borg, why would you wanna do it your kids.

Why cant you give your kids presents without bullshitting them about santa?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

This thread was started as a parent's right to allow their child to believe in Father Christmas. I understand what you're saying Blakky (and I probably held similar views years ago), but I have never known anyone scarred by believing in Santa as a child - yet I know of people scarred by believing in other lies.

..... who here doesn't enjoy fantasy? It isn't something we're 'taught'.

• defd
    defd

There is a difference between fantasy and out right lies.

D.

• under74
    under74

unbeliever- She crossed over the line big time. It's not her place to tell her grandson what to believe. I think you handled it well though.

You know I was raised a JW and was told santa was fake and told classmates and kids in the neighborhood--I wanted to believe though. If I had been raised outside I'm not sure how long the beliefe would've lasted since we didn't have much money...but at least there would've been some kind of hope or in the least I wouldn't have thought of myself as bad when I took guilty pleasure in looking at christmas lights or watching part of a christmas cartoon while my mom was out.

My nephews and niece have been brought up believing in santa. The oldest is 12 now and he stopped believing a couple years ago. He hasn't been hurt by it at all. In fact, he wants to do something christmas eve to keep his brother and sister believing. Last year, we set up one of my brothers on the roof to stomp across towards the chimney...my sister and my mom woke up the kids and got them into the hall while my other brother dressed up as santa popped out of the chimney, unloaded some presents, took two handfuls of cookies and stuffed them in his mouth...then he headed for the liquor cabinet for a swig---I swear I almost peed my pants trying not to laugh. My niece (6 at the time) ran to her room slamming the door behind her..she was glad he came but wanted to sleep. My older nephew knew right away but never let on to his little brother (8) --who as soon as he saw santa nearly got all the way down the hall screaming "I KNEW IT!" before his mom stopped him. He's a year older now and a smart kid, but he wants to believe in magic so he still does.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Personally, I don't think I could tell my kids that Santa was real. My reality complex is too strong. I like Elsewhere's suggestion.
    However, it is way out of line to go bursting other people's bubbles. I mean, WTF, man? That's just passive-agressive.
    SNG

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Grandma DEFINITELY stepped outa bounds, contradicting what parents chose for child.

However, I'm with Zen; why lie to my child?

"I wonder what ELSE Mama was lying about to me..."

kdn

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

unbeliever,

You might ask your mom, "What did Jesus die on?" When she answers, say, "Oh. I thought you taught me upright poles were phallic symbols. Did Jesus die on a penis? Do you pick your teeth with a phallic symbol? In school, did you do your work with a #2 penis? Is everything with you people about sex?"

I would happily be changed into a fly if as a result I could watch that conversation.

AuldSoul

• Bryan
    Bryan

jeffro,

My view is that it has nothing to do with Santa. It's the fact that it was not the grandmother's place to tell the child what she did.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• LDH
    LDH
    There is a difference between fantasy and out right lies

I *so* agree.

Like if I were to tell you my fantasy is to belong to a religion in which God speaks DIRECTLY to 12 elderly crustaceans, that would be real. Not a fantasy.

See the difference?

Lisa

Allergic Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit