JW mom told 6 y/o grandson Santa was fake

by unbeliever 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Great....another thing to look forward to with my husbands mother. I agree with doubtfully...keep kids away from JW's during any holiday season.

They are all just grinches with fancy bookbags!

WG

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Shame on your mum. What was she planning to gain by dashing a little boy's dreams about Santa. Who is it hurting.

When you think about it kids these days have their lives filled with electronic gadgets, television etc. There is not much left for imagination and fantasy. So why discourage it? Why....

Your mum needs to be taught a lesson. Like Sherry said, she is undermining your brother as a parent.

• forsharry
    forsharry
    Tell your grandson that JEHOVAH is a fake.

After all, people have actually seen Santa dressed up at the mall. Has anyone actually seen this Jehovah dude?

I am so glad that at this moment I was not drinking the bottle of water I have been eyeing on my desk for the last ten minutes. Otherwise I would have had to get up to the maintenance closet to retrieve paper towels and mr. clean for the computer screen and surrounding environs. :)

It's SO TRUE! Yet it just struck the laugh out loud chord within me.

I'd have to agree with everyone else here though. I knew at age 10 just how hard life was going to be, knowing what my future would hold (and thinking that I would be trapped in the org. for the rest of my god-forsaken life.) Any sense of magic and wonder and optimism had been crushed within me...it was a very sad and lonely childhood. And talk about isolating. It was a real BLAST to be the only kindergartener that didn't believe in Santa, because "It was a lie."

Cruton O' Christ, we have to deal with reality for all of our adult lives. It's hard and it's challenging and there is no magic like there was in our youth...let them keep their innocence and keep that sense of wonder...all too soon it will leave them as the responsibilities and truths about life seep in.

Forsharry, of the "Let them Sleep...Just for a Little Bit" Class

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

When one of my granddaughters was 3 or so, her mom, my JW daughter, had told her Santa wasn't real. Shortly after that they were driving by a shopping center, and there was Santa, standing by the road and waving to all the cars going by. My granddaughter turned to her Mom and and in that defiant/triumphant tone that 3 year olds use so well, said to her mom, "See! I told you he was real!"

S4

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

maybe I am alone in this, but I don't see why parents should lie to their children about this commercial propaganda spokesman or anything else for that matter. I don't see the harm in with holding information from children until they are perceived to be ready to accept it such as sex education and such, but that is far different from telling them out right lies just for the sake of a tradition that seems to have been started by merchants for merchants and against parental interests.

someone might explain to me the benefit of teaching children to expect presents just because the calendar says its a certain day that many but not all people have decided should be such a day?

seems to me that peer pressure has made many humans into german clocks.... the clock strikes chrismas time and they get out the lights, put up the decorations and hand out presents, no thought as to why, just do it.

• Es
    Es

Thats terrible it wasnt her place at all

The poor kid

es

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I told him that Santa was real as long as you believed in him. He was happy with that explanation.

Perhaps tell him that even though Santa is not a real person, it's still fun to pretend he is real when it's Christmas time... kind of like pretending a super hero or cartoon character is real. It's just something fun to do.

• undercover
    undercover
    maybe I am alone in this, but I don't see why parents should lie to their children about this commercial propaganda spokesman or anything else for that matter.

Well, maybe we should start with dispelling other fairy tales before we get to Santa:

An invisible man that lived in the sky made a man out of dirt and then took one of his ribs and made a woman. Then a snake talked to the woman and got her to eat some fruit. This fruit had magical abilities...it let the man and woman know they were naked, but also made them smart like the invisible sky man. Then the invisible sky man ran the man and woman out of the garden he had given them and told them to get by on their own even though he really told them he was going to kill them. And the man and woman didn't get to eat out of the other magical tree that would have saved their lives forever. And no one lived happily ever after. The end.

I'll take Santa Claus, thank you very much.

• Odrade
    Odrade

This is so disgusting. My best friend's JW mother told the 5 y.o. granddaughter that if she dressed up and went trick or treating that God was going to kill her at Armageddon. The granddaughter told her mom she didn't argue because "grandma didn't want to hear about it." LOL! Still... sickening. What kind of grandma tells her grandchild that God is going to kill her??? Evidently, a JW one.

• Confession
    Confession

Have to agree with Zen Nudist on this. I don't like the idea of carrying on such a deceptive charade. However, I know many have just become used to it--and I would NEVER meddle in the way this grandmother did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit