D'Fing and Love

by I-CH-TH-U-S 73 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

Furthermore, Jesus himself, the great teacher, quoted from all over Gods word just like they do at the KH so whats wrong with that?
    And yes, you can TRY to prove just about anything using scriptures from here or there, but truly using all the scriptures gives heighth, depth and breadth to the true understanding of a matter.

• defd
    defd

Well said anewme.

D.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't recall hearing any talk at the KH that even remotely resembled any of Jesus' teachings or his style of teaching. Neither did Jesus use a corrupted mistranslation of the bible. It's easy to see the errors in the NWT when comparing it to a word for word translation from the original texts. You can find interlinear translations in any Christian bookstore, and you can find some online as well.

W

• defd
    defd

NWT corrupt? What about ALL the rest of the bible that have REMOVED Gods name and replaced it with an impersonal title? That my friend is corrupt and disrespectful.

D.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    You can find interlinear translations in any Christian bookstore, and you can find some online as well.

The WTS Kingdom interlinear is pretty damning by itself. I owe a great deal of my leaving the org to that little puppy.

What about ALL the rest of the bible that have REMOVED Gods name and replaced it with an impersonal title?

What about the NWT that added Jehovah to the new testament where it did not belong?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    NWT corrupt? What about ALL the rest of the bible that have REMOVED Gods name and replaced it with an impersonal title? That my friend is corrupt and disrespectful.

So is adding it to the new testament where it did not exist in the original Greek, and the watchtower society has admitted to doing this.

W

• Satanus
    Satanus

Anewme

That is known as proof texting. For getting the flow of the bible, it isn't the best method.

The approach most commonly used among modern Christians when studying the Bible is called "proof texting." The origin of proof texting goes back to the late 1590s. A group of men called Protestant Scholastics took the teachings of the Reformers and systematized them according to the rules of Aristotelian logic.

The Protestant Scholastics held that not only is the Scripture the Word of God, but every part of it is the Word of God in and of itself—irrespective of context. This set the stage for the idea that if we lift a verse out of the Bible, it is true in its own right and can be used to prove a doctrine or a practice.

When John Nelson Darby emerged in the mid 1800s, he built a theology based on this approach. Darby raised proof texting to an art form. In fact, it was Darby who gave fundamentalist and evangelical Christians a good deal of their presently accepted teachings. All of them are built on the proof texting method. Proof texting, then, became the way that we modern Christians approach the Bible. It is taught in every Protestant Bible school and seminary on earth.

As a result, we Christians rarely, if ever, get to see the NT as a whole. Rather, we are served up a dish of fragmented thoughts that are drawn together by means of fallen human logic. The fruit of this approach is that we have strayed far afield from the practice of the NT church.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:6cqIQFqZ1vkJ:www.forministry.com/vsItemDisplay.dsp%26objectID%3D536E52DC-8729-4359-9A890FB2C581976A%26method%3Ddisplay%26templateID%3DC3435351-D45C-4B52-867A3F794D1CD85C+%22proof+texting+method%22+&hl=en

S

• anewme
    anewme

Oops! Your getting way off our little topic F'nFree. Not to mention your own topic on quoting scriptures from different parts of the Bible. I still say, whats wrong with that. Jesus did it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't remember jesus using more than one at a time. But, it's been a while.

S

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Not to mention your own topic on quoting scriptures from different parts of the Bible. I still say, whats wrong with that. Jesus did it.

According to Matthew 4:6, Satan was the one who was good at lifting scriptures out of context.

Granted, in those verses, the story goes that Jesus also quoted scripture, as rebuttal, but why assume that when a scripture is quoted at a Kingdom Hall it's automatically on the side of truth and right? Does it mean then that if it can be proved that the Society does pull scriptures out of context, in order to motivate people to do things the original scriptures don't imply, that they're taking a page out of Satan's playbook?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit