Is repititive imprinting of ideas a primary cult tactic?

by hubert 144 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hubert
    hubert

In a post by SYN that Lady Lee has brought up again, there is this statement by SYN.

I could underline my Watchtower in 10 minutes, tops, and be sure that all the answers were right. Many esteemed researchers have shown that repetitive imprinting of ideas is a primary cult tactic, and I tend to agree with them.

Does anyone, including SYM, have any written info from these researchers that I can use for my research to quote from? Here's the post that SYM wrote. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/28732/1.ashx

Thanks....

Hubert

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No question - a bit like , Loyalty to the Faithfull and Discreet Slave - Trust The Faithful and Discreet Slave; Loyalty to the Faithfull and Discreet Slave - Trust The Faithful and Discreet Slave; Loyalty to the Faithfull and Discreet Slave - Trust The Faithful and Discreet Slave; Loyalty to the Faithfull and Discreet Slave - Trust The Faithful and Discreet Slave

See how many times those phrases are repeated in WT studies and KM articles etc - a priamry cult tactic

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have some references on this topic on my site www.jwinfo.50megs.com, navigate to cult page when you get there.

• carla
    carla

I haven't gone to the links supplied above yet, but I just finished the Harp of God book. An original 1921, they use the word 'reasonable' quite a bit as well as many tried and true wtisms.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I haven't any evidence to support it, but wanted to submit my vote - Yes.

Preventing members from reading conflicting literature whilst parrot style repeating the same information somehow makes it 'truth' in their minds

Bull!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I would say "yes" as well. When you are told the same things over and over again, year after year, they inevitably become "true" in your mind, as you are discouraged from reading any non - wt information anyway. I remember about 20 years ago my mother bought me a Jerusalem Bible, which has the Apocyrpha in it. I know these books aren't part of the Bible, but some were interesting. However, I mentioned this to an elders wife, and she almost blew a fuse. Her husband advised me to either rip those pages out, or throw the Bible away. I couldn't really see what they were so afraid of at the time, but I can now, in the same way I can understand their fear of the internet, or any other media that may contain differrent ideas to the ones they teach. Reading stuff like that might encourage independent thinking, and we can't have that in jw land, now can they?

• daystar
    daystar

It most surely is. Repetition is a useful tool for programming behavior.

Learning to break free of as much external programming as possible and to program yourself to your own ends is, in my estimation, a primary lesson one should learn in life. Most people, sadly, never make much progress to that ends though.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/socinf/minority.html
    Principles of minority influence

This and other studies by Moscovici and others appear to demonstrate that the minority can influence the majority if:

• the minority disrupts the established norm and produces doubt and uncertainty in the mind of the majority
    • the minority makes itself visible, focuses attention on itself
    • the minority shows that there is an alternative, coherent point of view
    • the minority demonstrates certainty, confidence and commitment to this point of view
    • the minority signals that it will not move or compromise
    • the minority implies that the only solution to restore social stability and cognitive coherence is for the majority to shift towards the minority

Social Influence Turner

• metatron
    metatron

Well, heck, yes! This practise worked so well for Hitler - maybe they learned it from him!

He got everyone to blame the Jews. They were at fault. They undermined Germany. They polluted the Aryan race. They pulled

the strings. They had to be killed or expelled by any means, blah, blah, blah.

metatron

• mustang
    mustang

I recall "Repetition for Emphasis" as one of the points on the "Counsel Slip"(s) from the TMS (Theocraptik Ministry School). They even trained you in this facet of the mINISTRY.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit