why celebrate christmass?

by Cordelia 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

I only suggested we go to midnight mass together and already you are tellimg me what I can and can't wear, typical bloke.

• undercover
    undercover
    already you are tellimg me what I can and can't wear, typical bloke.

He'd make a great cult leader, huh?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I only suggested we go to midnight mass together and already you are tellimg me what I can and can't wear, typical bloke.

I am just setting the boundaries at an early stage....but look I will compromise a little...I wont bring my burberry hat if you dont wear your police jacket!

He'd make a great cult leader, huh?

Master of the Jedi Order I am!

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I for one, have embraced all the different origins of this celebration. I love that it's got such interesting and old traditions going back to the times of pagans of different cultures. It's fun to know what logs, trees, decorations, socks all come from. It gets me even more in the christmas spirit. I don't see it as religious at all though...unless love is your religion.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar
    For many it is, yes. For me it wasn't, its such a secular holiday, I didn't associate celebrating it with the religious aspect, I viewed it more as a time of giving and celebration of family and tradition. I started out slow but it wasn't long before I went totally beserk overboard. Now I absolutely love it. Doesn't hurt that I'm a pagan, either, because the origins are right up my alley!!

Depending on where your spiritual path takes you or whether you pursue spirituality at all, will color how you end up feeling about this and other holidays. Take it slow, keep your mind and heart open and do what feels right. If it bothers you to do something, don't. But keep in mind that its sometimes scary to take chances and experience new things, yet life is much richer for it if you do.

Have a happy holiday either way!

Sherry

What she said!! Start slow and do whatever you are comfortable doing at this time. It's a wonderful time to be celebrate all the joys and wonders this life can bring to us. Lisa

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Why celebrate Christmas? For me it is the connection to others and to the past. I focus on the giving part of the holiday, the time spent with friends, and now with the new family that's come to me through my marraige. I've slowly become more comfortable with the religous aspects of the holiday.

In my heart I honor all the of the contributing factors to the celebration of Christmas as we now know it, be they pagan, Christian or secular. I think its the last great festival we allow ourselves in the US nowadays and it's also a time to go a bit over the top. It's a way to embrace life and most of all, to me at least, to appreciate children. They are what really makes the holidays shine!

As others have said, do only what you are comfortable with. But don't let fear hold you back from trying. You might enjoy volunteering some time or funds to a local charity or cause. Giving can bring such a wonderful feeling. It's addictive, actually!

I know that the JW's scoff at this particular Christmas sentiment and say things along the lines of "bringing the truth to people all year round is more important than showering them with gifts once a year, blah, blah, blah..."

I say that if the giving is sincere than it's a good thing. I say that I'd rather see an outpouring of people trying to do the right thing once a year than them living in a joyless JW stupor 365. Just my opinion.

Christmas has helped fill up the emptiness I was left with after leaving the JW's. It's just a piece to the puzzle of what's helped me form a new life away from my upbringing, but I think it's an important one.

• Honesty
    Honesty

You could just call it the Festival of Dedication ( Hanukah) which Jesus celebrated.

When was Jesus born?

Some scholars say sometime between September-November and others say sometime around April. Some say around 6 B.C. others say around 4 B.C. while others say around 2 B.C. Does it matter when He was born? Isn't the fact that He was the promised Messiah enough to rejoice over His birth as Christ?

Luke 2:9-11 (HCSB) Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.

But the angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: today a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord, was born for you in the city of David.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I celebrate Christmas for two reasons.. one.. it's wonderful to finally be on the "inside" with all the pretty decorations. I told my bf that all my life I looked at the pretty lights and inside the houses as I drove by and saw the Christmas trees.. I wondered if there were happy families in there and wondered what kind of christmas traditions they shared.. so that is why I told my bf that my Christmas tree had to be near a window, so people could drive by and see "I AM ONE OF THOSE FAMILIES" who has her Christmas traditions!

Now.. this is my third year. The first year I was fading so my tree had to be far hidden inside.. But I loved decorating for Christmas.Everything is so beautiful.

The bigggest reason I celebrate is that it means a special family tradition. I can finally join my dad and brother and sister. Dad isn't religious. Doesn't attend any church, but it is a big deal to him and to finally share this with him.. share the gift giving and what not, it fills my heart with so much joy!

I watch SimpleSally's daughter who is now 4. She just lights up when you talk about Christmas or Birthdays. It doesn't take very long for little ones to know what Christmas traditions are all about. Just that joy alone to give your daughter makes it worth while.

If you no longer believe in the WTS and their rules, then let go of the guilt... enjoy Christmas and give your daughter this, because Christmas is mostly for children. i wish that I could have given it to my kids. They are just not only having it.. and my baby is 21.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It's going to be my first Christmas celebration for many years as well, and I admit to feeling a little strange about it, but I am going to have a tree and decorations. I don't have family in the jws, so their calling isn't an issue, and I have an invitation to dinner on Christmas Day, so hopefully I should be ok.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Cordelia -

Here was my reasoning on the matter;

Nothing that the Jw's taught had proved to be correct. Why should it influence me at all in this matter?

In my case we emphasize the spiritual side of things - we have a few lights and presents and a little tree - but we like the religious music and mention Jesus and his benefits often to the g-kids.

Try and shed the jw black/white thinking for a moment. Is it absolutely clear that it is either right or wrong? If you have determined not to live the jw lifestyle now, why box in the kids? They will be adult one day and decide the right/wrong issue for themselves. Why taint their thinking with the old WT dogma that you have clearly rejected as 'truth'.

Just my Opinion -

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit