why celebrate christmass?

by Cordelia 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy
    It's going to be my first Christmas celebration for many years as well, and I admit to feeling a little strange about it, but I am going to have a tree and decorations. I don't have family in the jws, so their calling isn't an issue, and I have an invitation to dinner on Christmas Day, so hopefully I should be ok.

just let yourself relax and enjoy it. I find this year I am listening to the Christmas music more on the radio and trying to learn the words so I can sing along..

I still ask people for advice that have celebrated all their lives, what their family traditions are with Christmas, ask for decorating or craft ideas.. Each year I am enjoying Christmas more and more.. as it becomes slowly a part of me, a part of my tradition..

The first year I had my tree, I bought an artificial one, which was perfect for an apartment, not too big.. It is still fine in size. I picked up some boxed sets or ornaments and only a few specialty ornaments. It all adds up when you are first celebrating. Then after Christmas I picked up more with the clearance/close out sales.. each year I get a get a few more. I'm amazed now as my 3rd Christmas comes along how many I have now.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

This will be my second Christmas with a tree and all the trimmings...last year felt weird. I thought it would make me incredibly happy but initially I felt depressed, sad and like I was between two worlds and didn't quite fit into either. I decided to have 2 big christmas parties and throughout the season invited all of my friends over for holiday cheer. this helped immensely as it's the sharing, giving, celebrating that are the best. And can I just say...growing up I always wanted to decorate for the holidays and all of my non-JW friends (the only kind I have now, thank God!) were so impressed with how I decorated considering it was my first full out Christmas. Also, I have a two and a half year old son and this year he helped decorate the tree and we are having the best time! There is nothing religious about the holiday for us -- it's all about celebrating with friends and giving to those in need. There are important lessons that you can teach your little girl during the holiday -- one thing that I do even though it's early in my son's life is emphasize the importance of giving and especially to those in our community who have less than we do. Happy Holidays!!!

• wiegel
    wiegel

To HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Its not about you anymore. Its now about your daughter. Raiser her to be a normal kid and not the confused
    kid who's odd. It may bother you a little at first but I PROMISE IT WONT BOTHER HER! Days of the week are Pagan. Wedding rings are Pagan. What ever we do now Eat, Breath, Sleep, the pagans already did it!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Get laid at office Christmas parties.

This never happened to me!

• Sassy
    Sassy

me either!

• Scully
    Scully

For me, Christmas is not a religious celebration. It is an accepted cultural custom. We don't do the "Santa" thing. The children have always known that their gifts come from their dad and me. My decorating theme is snowmen because it's wintertime, not necessarily related to Christmas in any way.

We put lights up because they are pretty and decorative, and because it gets dark so stinking early these days. Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that our ancestors may have found themselves suffering with Seasonal Affective Disorder (without having the helpful medical label attached to the feelings) and instinctively resorted to increasing the amount of light they used at this time of year to help them alleviate their symptoms. Maybe the feast of Saturnalia was something that came out of that practice, not out of a desire to worship pagan gods. I think that would be a very interesting anthropological study.

As a matter of fact, the Festival of Lights (Chanukah) is still practiced by Jewish people, and it has its origins in the apocryphal scriptures. Jesus was a Jew, and would have observed this festival as it was commanded for all Jews to do this. Why would he NOT observe one of God's commandments?

Just a few things to think about. Take it at whatever pace is comfortable to you.

• defd
    defd

I will be more open about it next year but i want to be sure it isnt wrong to do it?

what you all think?

Why do you need reasons for doing it? Is not the reasons for NOT doing it good enough? You know why Jehovah is displeased with the customs of Christmas. That should be good enough.

Sincerly

D.

• Scully
    Scully

Oh and something else. Because we CAN.

Have a look at Romans 14:5,6

One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each one be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day observes it to Jehovah. Also, he who eats, eats to Jehovah, for he gives thanks to God; and he who does not eat does not eat to Jehovah, and yet gives thanks to God.

Whatever you decide to do, keep in mind that you don't owe an accounting or explanation to anyone else.
  • marsh
    marsh

Lets put Christ back into it,lets keep the Story of Jesus Birth alive. Immanuel.

I have been to many midnight masses in my time raised a RC.Church was not an option we Had to go,no exscuses.I am from a large family yet for all of us Church was important.At Christmas it was all about Jesus birth,then pressies.

I heard a story the other day about a charity shop .In the window was a Nativity scene but there was no baby in the manger...........The reason? Let's put Christ back into Christmas.

You may find the Catholic site interesting. New Advent. I'll try to put a link.

www.newadvent.org/cathen/13724b.htm (I Hope)

I have friend and he says how about the pagans copied the believers?

Mathew 1:23,"Behold,the virgin shall be with child,and bear a Son and they shall call His name Immanuel"which is translated "God with us".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit