why celebrate christmass?

by Cordelia 46 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

dfed, how do you 'know' jehivi is displeased with Christmas? from scripture only.

• marsh
    marsh

Luke 1 46-55. The Song Of Mary.

Luke 2.Christ born of mary.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

14."Glory to God in the highest,and on earth peace,goodwill toward men.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Quote by defd: Why do you need reasons for doing it? Is not the reasons for NOT doing it good enough? You know why Jehovah is displeased with the customs of Christmas. That should be good enough.

Sincerly

D.

What we know is that an organization that lied to us told us that Jehovah didn't approve of it.

That does not make it fact that God does.

• daystar
    daystar

People give all sorts of reasons why they celebrate Christmas now, after having left the organization.

I recognize the rather overtly non-Christian imagery rather well. I think that the WBTS did a fair job with their research on that.

Luckily, I don't have any particular problem with non-Christian imagery. I have no problem with the entire gamut of fun and decor.

However, were I a Christian, I would. My sense of integrity would not allow me to make use of the Christmas tree, lights, etc., though I might have no problem celebrating the Christ's birth itself.

Now, all that being said, the Christian faith itself has what would be considered pagan roots. Even the story of the life, death and resurrection inherent in the story of Jesus Christ is not new. As it stands, it is a fairly good retelling of an earlier story of the life, death and resurrection of Horus, the Egyptian god, son of Isis and Osiris - http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm

• marsh
    marsh

Hi Daystar,

I understand what you are saying,BUt for me everything started with Genesis and the fall.The promised redeemer.

I Know about Isis,Osiris,Horus,have read AH s book about it.

There is always genuine and counterfeit.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Cordelia, my advice is to forget the religious implications and do it for your daughter, you could even put the tree up on Xmas Eve and take it down on boxing day if you are worried about what your family might say, but as a mother I know there is nothing better than your child's face on xmas morning.

Very good idea.

We celebrated for the first time 5 years ago. It did feel odd, but not wrong, just really different. I also felt very sad because we hadn't had Christmas for our children, and it was almost heartbreaking to witness our grandchildren having such a good time. Now everyone celebrates it and we are making new traditions for our grandkids. You can't undo the past. I've had to deal with that.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

thanks everyone,

guess 30 years of believeing christmass is wrong is pretty hard to let go of, i'd like to know some more things that we do with pagan orgins so i can feel better about celebrating it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit