Anybody here who still has faith in God and belief in the Bible?

by Sheepish 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I read a wonderful quote by Thomas Jefferson:

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Only people like the JWs are concerned with the numbers.

AuldSoul, I'm curious as to the reticence in your answer. Is the "insights" or the reasons for being skittish that you don't want to talk about on this site? After what I have read on this site, what could possibly be the reason for not wanting to share "insights"? Does this site still disfellowship for "bad" thoughts an ideas? Or are we back to the stake burning thing again?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Of course not.

GBL

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Thanks everybody for your responses. I know it's hard to rebuild after the JWs, and I don't mean to pressure anyone, just wondering if anyone "made it out alive!"

onacruise: How do I define Biblical criteria/Biblical understanding? I guess, by reading the entire book and letting it interpret itself...there is plenty in it that is completely understandable even to a child.The rest becomes clearer as you pursue it. Seek and ye shall find, you know. Every mother's son comes up with their own endtimes scenario...but most agree on how we are supposed to live and behave until whatever happens happens.

ts: "how do you like them apples?" Well, since you asked-not much. They seem pretty sour to me.

misspeaches: I went through the same thing.I think everyone does who comes out of such a regimented religion. If you desire to know your Creator and live in the way that is best for you (cause you'd think that the Creator would show you the best way to live) just keep praying, and asking and seeking. If the God of the Bible is true, you will get answers, cause that is what is promised...Your subconscience deals with what you feed it.

blindS (sorry forgot your whole moniker!) That doctrine of the "one true organization" is key.If you read the Bible from an objective point of view, you will see how pumped up the society made itself on the basis of what is given for Church organization.(Scripture talks about being set free, and the freedom in Christ, and the load of Jesus being light! Does that sound like JWs?)The second key is the the JWs translation which is blatantly mistranslated.Without thoses two key features, the JWs doctrine just crumbles to the ground.

• Tez
    Tez

Yes I still have a faith in God and a belief in the bible!! But have just been left very confused. I know now that the 'borg' don't have it right.... well they don't have it all right I should say... But anything and everything I ever learnt about the bible and God came through them, so the fact I now have a faith is due to what they taught me! I am not, and refuse to be, bitter and twisted because I now know that they got a lot of things wrong... Now is the time for me to trust that God will make all things clear in his own time.

I have a phobia about studying now! and could never contemplate getting involved in an organised religion again... but I have been left feeling deflated and have a void that I know needs filling!

• daystar
    daystar

For good or ill, my leaving the Society was not due to having found inconsistencies in their doctrine.

My current view on the bible and on God is due to years of research after having left the Org. I found that anything I might call God does not resemble anything like God is described in the bible. I lean much more the direction of the Buddhist on that matter. That being the case, I simply cannot believe that the bible, or any other "holy" book for that matter, to be the word of any god.

I want to have nothing to do with religion in general, not because I'm bitter, per se, but because I don't want someone else telling me a bunch of stories and, what I consider to be fairytales, professing them to be Ultimate Truth. If a person were to say, "these are just some good rules to live by and these other ones are suspect", in regards to the bible, I might have some respect for that person.

As an example, I frequently watch Joel Osteen programs. This guy quotes from the bible, but I don't consider what he does as preaching. He makes recommendations on how to live life, be successful, and be happy, by using the power of the Christos energy (my words) to activate what you desire in life. I don't have the slightest problem with that.

I have found a much, much better understanding of the bible I think, outside the confines of any religious structure.

I suspect that if a person could look at their bible with entirely new eyes again, as if they'd never seen it before, as they might another religion's holy books, with a fully critical eye, with some degree of skepticism, perhaps even doubt, they might discover some very interesting things. Oh, and for God's sake, also read something other than the bible and don't compartmentalize them. Everything is related in some manner.

• Honesty
    Honesty

After a chance encounter with a college aged born-again Christian I started a systematic study of WT doctrines which led to undisputable evidence from the Bible, secular history and archaeological findings. I discovered several eye-opening facts about the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, among them:

Almost everything the WTBTS/JW's teach is unbiblical.

The WTBTS has twisted and distorted the Bible into saying things God never inferred to mankind

The WTBTS meets ALL the criteria of an antichrist.

The WTBTS inculcates hatred towards all non-JW's with their twisted reasononing.

The WTBTS has profaned God's name among the nations with its unscriptural doctrines and practices

The WTBTS traps its victims in a never-ending cycle of deceit and manipulation.

Once I realised that in order to grow spiritually I had to separate the WTBTS from God in my mind, the illumination that comes from the unconditional love He shows His creatures became evident.

After mentally discarding all the WT lies and allowing the scriptures regarding Christ to speak to my heart and mind I began to physically feel His presence in me. Then I began to understand what all those seemingly crazy born-agains I had talked with in years of field service meant about the indwelling of the Spirit.

Does that answer your question?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Need any on here have to ask that question of ME???? I turn alot off I know !!! But I tell you if it wasnt for GOD( who in MY opinion) is Father ,Son & Holy Spirit I could not go on in life ( since I am made in HIS image ) what do I mean by that??? well I have a body( as folks testified to Christ they saw)
    I have a soul_ which in MY opinion is Father or if you MUST use Jehovah ( I dont use that anymore it is a mistranslation) & I have certainly got SPIRIT ask any who have met me- They may not like MY Spirit -but I am SO blessed to have one- I could be a fruit like I was in WT ( a LEMON)

Sorry if I offend you my dear kiddiies.... I have had p.m.s from MANY who want adoption as a step -in for the grannies, Mum, sisters, kids they lost... But the GREATEST ADOPTION you could have is by GOD!!!! when you say "I am a sinner, dont know if you exist- but if you do, come into my life & help me to understand"

No I am NOT the debbill

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was a Christian before I became a JW. I became a JW because I thought they could explain the bible to me (I was a very new Christian at the time, and didn't know a lot).

When I found out the JW's didn't know what they were talking about, I started all over again. I'm a member of an indendent church, while I believe that teachers can be useful I think that one's understanding of God comes from within. I also believe that the church is a VERY big tent. It is not up to me, or anybody else, to determine who is a "true" Christian.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    Just wondering... anyone here find biblical understanding outside the Jws?(

I did when I was a JW and I still do now that I'm not a JW.

My beliefs have been and are continuing to be "tuned up" as a Bible believing Christian. At least now I'm not being told WHAT and HOW to believe.

AND............now I can actually question without being looked at as a bad associate.

However..........having been fed from the WT table for so many decades, I do have some inner conflict with some doctrines such as the trinity, immortality of the soul, etc.

But now I am comfortable with knowing that I don't need all the answers.

I also will not debate what I believe. There was too much of that "I'm right and your wrong" crap when I was a JW. I don't do that now.

HappyDad

• daystar
    daystar
    I'm a member of an indendent church, while I believe that teachers can be useful I think that one's understanding of God comes from within. I also believe that the church is a VERY big tent. It is not up to me, or anybody else, to determine who is a "true" Christian.

If that is what your church teaches, then I can definately respect it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit