Anybody here who still has faith in God and belief in the Bible?

by Sheepish 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Sheepish:

I was asking if anyone was alive in the Spirit, rather than had given up.

Then, are you saying those of us who do not believe in the Bible are NOT alive in the spirit, and thus DEAD? How small and narrow must we make a god that so many can be separated from like that?

I see my mention of "knock you upside the head" upset you. Please accept my apology, I meant it in a metaphorical concerned sense, not a physical and hurtful one. Funny how you can love reading a book filled with murder and violence, death and destruction, and take such offense at a few words of mine.

It seems these days the most upsetting thing to unbelievers is that someone else finds there is an absolute truth.

Actually, one of my pet peeves, is how easily and unquestionably people make God in to such a tiny thing which they can be alive in, and others not. There is no such compartmentalized divisions for That, which has no beginning or end. Perhaps God is infinitely bigger than you and your Bible make It out to be.

j

• mouthy
    mouthy

ps..... mouthy.. will i be getting nasty PM messages?

Well Did you??? I really dont mind getting nasty e-mails.... !!!! Helps me remember how it was at the doors when they threw water over me, or stood there naked....I smile & say a prayer for them..... I was taught to be argumentive ----I am TRYING to change that ....Some on here have been so hurt by MAN!!!! that I forgive anything they call me... In fact I am happy as long as they STILL put up with me (((HUGS Sheepish)

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Yes... Mouthy..

I did get a message in my box...and a very nice one!! Surprise!

love gold_morning

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well Praise The Lord

• Sheepish
    Sheepish
    Then, are you saying those of us who do not believe in the Bible are NOT alive in the spirit, and thus DEAD? How small and narrow must we make a god that so many can be separated from like that?

Jt: I didn't say that.Either you are alive in the spirit or not. You would know.I don't think you can logically make conclusions about the size of the God I worship, from the question I asked. I think you may be assuming some things.

I see my mention of "knock you upside the head" upset you. Please accept my apology, I meant it in a metaphorical concerned sense, not a physical and hurtful one. Funny how you can love reading a book filled with murder and violence, death and destruction, and take such offense at a few words of mine.

Naw, didn't upset me. Just wanted to point out your approach.(The word I ment to put there was "Bully" by the way). You know, I love living, and this world is "filled with murder and violence, death and destruction." It is what is. Again, I didn't take offense. I've had many many discussions with people of other beliefs, after I left the JWs. And I do listen to see if they have a better way to live life, and any better understanding of things.Or even just peace. Some of my best friends are athiests, and agnostics-really. So other views are not alien to me.I also don't get angry or take offense when mine is to others.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

There is no such thing as "absolute truth".

The insistence that we can know Absolutes, moral or otherwise, is a denial of the dynamic character of the world around us, and it arises from the same sort of dogmatic appeal to absolute knowledge that in earlier times twice put Galileo before the Inquisition. On this latter point we would do well to remember the response of a scholastic thinker when Galileo asked him to look through his telescope and observe the moons of Jupiter: the man replied that he needn't look through the device, as he would certainly not see anything that Aristotle had not written about more than a millennia before.

When one claims he/she has "absolute truth" they close the mind off for any real, logical, informative learning input.

• anewme
    anewme

Gold Morning that was very nice! Thankyou for the interesting facts about our marvelous bodies! P.S. You should try and keep Mouthy as a friend. She is a wonderful person.

• mouthy
    mouthy

You should try and keep Mouthy as a friend. She is a wonderful person.

WHAT???? How would YOU know???? Thanks anyway....But I bet if you REALLY met me you would change that remark!! ( as I open the window to stick my head . chest, out..... Shuts the window both are too big)

• Sheepish
    Sheepish
    There is no such thing as "absolute truth".

I suggest an experiment. Jump out the third floor of a building, or off a cliff. You will absolutely fall to the ground. I think you get the point...there really are absolutes. You might not like em, but they exist.(ps. I am not in any way shape or form suggesting you try this, I am only trying to make a point! I don't want you to jump off a cliff...just making sure you understand.)

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Sorry sheepish but you are comparing your "absolute truth" to a "natural law". Gravity does work. However it is not an absolute I will fall. There are many variables involved. It is relative. You would like to believe your moral absolute truth is comparable it is not.

Absolute Truth : “Something true for all people, at all times and in all places”.

Absolute truths are based on facts, not just through general consensus of a group. Consensus is usually formed by personal opinions and not based on facts.

Philosophers have argued about absolute truths forever. So instead of getting bogged down in how does absolute truth exist or not exist, let me ask "How does your belief in god constitute an absolute truth"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit