Where did God go??

by fairchild 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• fairchild
    fairchild

It has been over 10 months now since I stopped going to the kingdom hall. I had imagined how I would really find my way to God now that I was no longer being misled by the WTS ( for - profit) publishing company. I kept reading the bible, because people on JWD had told me how I would see it in a different light. I didn't see it in a different light, so I stopped reading the bible. I tried to pray a few times, but as usual, it felt like talking to the ceiling, so I stopped praying as well. I have not opened my bible in several months and have not prayed in just as long.

Do I have the feeling as if "something is missing"? No I don't but it does worry me. I still don't think that life came to be by chance. But if God created us, then I don't understand why he couldn't be a bit more clear as to who exactly he is and what exactly he expects of us. Should I tell this to a JW, they would tell me hellllooooo it's right under your nose. See, God speaks through the GB, how more clear can it be? If it were that simple, then there would be one religion, just one. The fact that there are so many religions proves that there is no clarity at all. Should I conclude that this means that God doesn't really care whether we get to know him or not?

Speaking of which.. does he care? If he was the "loving father" the JWs talk about, don't you think that he would care for his "children" a bit more, and not let them starve to death? I understand that earthquakes are necessary for the cycle of nature and such, but if he was so caring and so almighty, don't you think he could make earthquakes happen in the middle of nowhere so that they would not kill thousands of his innocent children? If you're a father and your kids fight, don't you split them up? Well, this loving father's children go to war and kill each other. Oh but wait, he was going to do something about that during "this generation", which was, let's just admit it.. the generation of Jesus and not the generation of 1914.

What am I supposed to conclude here? Either he does not exist (but then we have the problem of the intricate designs of life to deal with), or he just does not care. If he doesn't care, then why would I? What if he does care and I have it all wrong?

But isn't that whole garden of Eden story a bit far fetched though? The first pair sins, tempted by satan, and thus all their offspring has to suffer and pay for what they did? And the world is given in the hands of satan to do with it as he pleases and try to turn people away from God? So one day I am baking 3 different kinds of cookies and I tell my kids they can eat the yellow ones and the blue ones but they can't eat the red ones. So tetrapod comes along and he tells my kids that the red ones are the best ones and it won't hurt to eat them. So my kids eat some red cookies. Then I find out and I punish not only my kids, but I will make sure to punish THEIR kids as well as soon as they are born. And their grandkids, and the ones after that.. and I tell tetrapod that he can now have my home and everyone in it and do with it as he pleases, and he is free to try and turn my kids against me. What is wrong with this picture? What would you call this kind of behavior? Personally I would call it childish and irrational.

But what am I to do now? Where do I stand and where do I go from here? I have lost the illusion that there will be a paradise where everyone will be young and healthy forever. Do you know how tough it was to part with this comforting thought? Yes, I think you do know, because you have had to deal with the same feelings. But if there is no such thing as a paradise, then what is there? Nothing? I don't want to die if there is nothing.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• JH
    JH

I think that God loves to be a mystery !

I still believe in God, but lost the hope of alot that has been taught to us as JW's happening in this life time.

I still believe that one day he will come back from vacation and fulfil what he said he'd do.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Fairchild, I was raised a JW but was never baptized. I left when I was 18 and it has been over 20 years that I have been away from it. During that time I went through cycles of disbelief, being p.o.'d at God, apathy, you name it.

I think its like what people always tell you about romance, when you try to force it, that doesn't work, and when you least expect it romance blooms. I think being spiritual can be the same way, when you try and force it, or think it has to be a certain way, the more you try the farther you get away from it. I think maybe just trying to be and let your spirituality come naturally is a much better way to go.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Fairchild,

It's tough. You reject JW's using logic, and then you wind up logic-ing your way right out of god altogether.

You might benefit from the posts on this thread where I genuinely tried to give God a shot: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/82731/1.ashx

And there was also BigDog's recent thread expressing some feelings that come with the loss of one's faith: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/100666/1.ashx

Which is not to suggest that BD's lost his faith, or that you should become an atheist. But there's lots of soul searching and earnestness in those threads that seem applicable to your current situation.

Good luck,

Dave

• Legolas
    Legolas
    I tried to pray a few times, but as usual, it felt like talking to the ceiling, so I stopped praying as well.

I'm sorry but I had to stop here and laugh!!!!

I'm going to finish reading it now!

• Legolas
    Legolas
    But if God created us, then I don't understand why he couldn't be a bit more clear as to who exactly he is and what exactly he expects of us.

Ok...LMAO....I had to stop again....I have said before that if I left my house for the weekend and just left my then teenagers home alone That I would have the RULES writen down SOOOOOO CLEARLY that they would have NO excuse if anything happened while I was gone!

Now why did God not do that?

I thought HE was a BETTER parent then us mere humans?

• Legolas
    Legolas
    The first pair sins, tempted by satan, and thus all their offspring has to suffer and pay for what they did

Doesn't the Bible say that the son will not pay for the sins of the father or something like that!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    what am I to do now? Where do I stand and where do I go from here?

I suggest you kiss goodbye all beliefs of a deity separate that you need to stroke, and just be present, deeply and kindly present with what the universe presents to you in this moment right here.

Investigate into the intimate sense of life in and around you, and see how deep your connection is with it. In other words, investigate into your own existence and honour and make friends with the truth that is right now in and around you. Really experience how it can feed you with a deeper satisfaction than religious beliefs ever could.

Realize what really looks out your eyes.

alt

j

• MetricRX
    MetricRX

He's drinking Egg Nog with Santa Claus!

My advice? Be your own god. Recognise all the power you hold within, all the ability to love and learn and live life on your own terms.

And if God exists, hopefully he isn't an a**hole!

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I din't think he went anywhere. A person who supposedly knew about such things once explained to me that this universe and everything in it is just one of a bazillion universes, environment, xerascapes that God has created. He being a really creative person, and all. Reading about such boggling concepts as membrane reality and string theory and 10 dimensions existing in nature, I suppose what the guy said about God is true. But I see God as more of a dedicated horticulturist. I mean, he works and works so he can stand back and admire his lawn.

"I love my lawn.", he'll say to just about anybody. But then, he doesn't really give much concern over each and every blade of grass, now does he? Like the hundred or so that have recently turned a bit brown. You know, that patch out back where the dog always dumps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit