BD:
    Okay

Tetra:On the count of three, jump.

One..

Two..

Three........

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

(shuffles over to proper thread with silly smile on face, pausing only to curtsy to imaginary crowd.)

• Legolas
  • fairchild
    fairchild
    Will all stoners please return to the proper thread.

Dang, and I thought it was just getting fun.

On a more serious note.. as suicide was mentioned a few posts ago.. can anyone answer this question for me.. How many people (including the JWs) say that "God will not put a heavier load on us than we can carry" I have always wondered.. if that is true, then why do people commit suicide? Don't they commit suicide because they are too burdened by their misfortunes? Once again, to me this points away from God's existence.

• Navigator
    Navigator

You would do well to listen to James Thomas. There is no God outside yourself and you will never find HIM there. Now is the only time there is. Stop thinking of yourself as a human body seeking a spiritual experience. You are so much more! You are in fact an immortal creation having a human experience, or at least dreaming that you are. This earth is not your home.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Just a question for you Fairchild, as you seem to be a thoughtful and honest person...

How would you feel if you became aware that you are god(like)?

• fairchild
    fairchild
    You are in fact an immortal creation having a human experience, or at least dreaming that you are. This earth is not your home.

This is a truly comforting thought, but again.. it is a theory without proof. Just like God is a theory without proof.

How would you feel if you ;became aware that you are god(like)?

I don't think I can answer that. In my understanding of the word "godlike", no human will ever be that way.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Fairchild....didn't you get the memo?

God is dead.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    On a more serious note.. as suicide was mentioned a few posts ago.. can anyone answer this question for me.. How many people (including the JWs) say that "God will not put a heavier load on us than we can carry" I have always wondered.. if that is true, then why do people commit suicide? Don't they commit suicide because they are too burdened by their misfortunes? Once again, to me this points away from God's existence.

I believe that God does not give us more than we can handle, we may be pushed to our limits, and yes while one is suicidal they feel burdened.

I admit I felt very much burdened and thought that life was rather empty and pointless and there is not much point in going on. When you are depressed you struggle to see the positive and i've noticed that depressed people without realising it push away and refuse help.

People feel the suicide is the cure, a way to end all your pain, but it is not! Suicide is not the answer....

In a way suicide is a selfish act, can you think of the pain you would cause everyone around you? They start to blame themselves even if the person wrote a suicide note claiming that its no one's fault it still lingers as pain and guilt in everyone's hearts.

Suicide is a Mortal sin to God, and he would hate it if we took our lives....

Satan however would love it... Thats what the devil does he constantly whispers lies in our ears convincing us that suicide is the answer, all your suffering and pain will end.

I will quote the T.V series Medium "People who jump off a cliff find that once they are 3 quarters down, their problems are fixible"

*well it was along the lines of that anyways*

So its about having faith, God can help you through your adversities and healing does take a long while, heck I am still recovering from depression, it can take years, but in the end you are a stronger and better person and you gain so much wisdom from it all.

The Catholic church believes in "purgatory" no sinful being can enter heaven, we also go through suffering on earth and what is not finished on earth gets finished off in Purgatory before you enter heaven. So enduring through suffering goes well when it comes to the time of judgement.

At the time of adversity the depressed person would feel pinned down by adversity and would want to give up.... a way to decribe depression would be to be in an endless fog, pressed down by a huge weight, in a huge maze, falling in a never ending hole etc.

But you will find your light at the end of the tunnel, we all have our burdens to bare.

A life without burdens is no ordinary life.

In peace,

Evanescence

• bebu
    bebu

"You are gods." --Jesus, quoting the OT.

Standing on our own two feet, we are gods, able to do whatever we please. We see the good, the bad, and the ugly, and we decide what kind of god we are. We are like a lot of Zeus's and Athenas, etc., doing what we like, I think at times. Also, because of the intense sense of justice innate in each of us, we justify our god-selves constantly.

When I was a child, I was a great critic of parenting. I would NEVER parent like my parents parented me, by golly! I saw every flaw, real or imagined. And I swore I could do the job 100 times better than they did. Time has shown me that, flawed as they were, they were terrific parents, and I feel sure that they did so much better than I have in many areas. I understand their reasons now, as I understand what their actual goals were. I could not grasp their goals, as a child; I just had a faint idea of "being good". Now I know they were after my character being a certain way, that I could be a certain kind of citizen, wife, mother, neighbor, etc. Perhaps part of the reason you can't understand certain things about God is that you are misunderstanding His goals for humanity in general, and you in particular.

It's an interesting thing to try, to imagine (if one is a theist) that there really is no God. Because, now what? How would I really want to live? Really want to be? Without constraints, and if no one is really looking, who am I really at heart? What do I long for? What would I live for? What would I die for? And if I am willing to die for a person, or even a principle I believe in, is such a person or principle possibly a greater reality than myself, after all? Why would I exchange the only thing I might have for an intangible principle? We seem to believe in principles even if we do not believe in God.

I know I'm not directly answering your question, Fairchild, but I have found asking a different question than the standard one(s) gives some more helpful insight. Instead of asking something like "Why would God do/allow xxx when it causes trouble??", try "Because God does/allows xxx, what possibilities are now here that couldn't have been otherwise?" This is not a fast exercise; you need to take your time. You may need to find new resources and opinions to consider.

I have approached tough questions with a deep breath and faith that God would get me to the other side, somehow, in one piece. Changed, but one piece. Life with God is all about searching and finding, again and again and in new ways, not just finding one final, static state. It is a great life, I think.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit