Where did God go??

by fairchild 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

suicide is fairly unique to us as humans, isn't it?

but when approached from an evolutionary standpoint, it makes sense. here you have some people whose ancestors had mutations that did not manifest themselves until after they had children. mental illness. and that's why some people kill themselves, honestly. they are menatally ill.

and then there are many who are not, too. they kill themselves for whatever reason. i tried once when i was a JW. i was obsessed with the thought of just getting to the paradise regardless of whether god would let me stay or not.

i don't think religion helps in this regard at all. a lot of people are depressed because they see a world that is supposed to be gaurded by a loving god, and all they see is suffering. this is a way more depressing situation to be in than simply thinking that this is all there is, this is how apes behave, and lets make the best of it.

not to say atheists don't kill themselves. kurt cobain and ernest hemingway were both atheists.

just thinking out loud here this morning... time for a coffee... man, i'm hung over!

TS

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    kurt cobain

Did not kill himself.

There is undeniable proof that courtney love is a mason and she did him in.

RIP kurt

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i hate courtney love...

speaking of athiests and suicide, albert camus has a great essay called The Myth of Sisyphus on suicide. he didn't commit suicide himself, but he wrote on it incredibly well, IMO. i read this book when i was 18. it's amazing that it took me ten more years to drop the god concept...

from the amazon review:

According to Camus, suicide was a sign that one lacked the strength to face "nothing." Life is an adventure without final meaning, but still, in Camus' eyes, worth experiencing. Since there is nothing else, life should be lived to its fullest and we should derive meaning from our very existence. For Camus, people were what gave life meaning. However, in the moments following the realization that one will die, that one's descendants will die...in fact, that the earth will die, one senses a deep anxiety. And, as an atheist, Camus doubted meaning beyond this life.
    TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit