FEELING VERY DEPRESSED, EMPTY. LIFE IS CONFUSING...

by stillAwitness 87 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

If, as your profile suggests, you are 22 and going to school, that must mean college or university. If so, go over to the counseling department and ask them if they have a therapist or counselor who treats students' personal issues and ask if you can schedule an appointment. If you are a registered student, the appointment should be free. Tell this person what you are feeling, and why. You may be surprised how much it well help. Usually, colleges students can get several free sessions with a therapist before they are "referred out" to someone in private practice. But by then, you may be healed. Good luck!

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

You asked about books to read to help you through. I'll give a few to research.

Franz books would be great because he was on the inside at bethel and knew what was really going on.

Those will be an eye opener for you.

I agree with enigma with regard to studying other religions. Studying other religions show you that you were fed lies about them.

You come to see that they aren't evil as you were led to believe.

Also I recommend study of nlp. In specific the meta-model.

If you understand the meta-model you understand why different people see the world differently. You'll understand why a buddhist see the world

the way he sees it. You'll understand why a christian feels the way he does. You'll know why a catholic believes in the trinity and a jw doesn't.

Also why an atheist knows what he "knows". From there you see that jw's are just taught a model that gets poor results.

But the meta-model is hard to learn through books. You would have to study many nlp books to really "get it". Well worth the effort because you'll

understand almost everyone if you really do get it.

Finally i'd recommend study of the enneagram personality type # 1 the perfectionist. Not only do people act through personality types but

organizations do as well. You'll see that the Borg-Org (as I like to call them) are nothing more than a perfectionist personality type trying to

convert everyone to their personality type and "worldview" or model of interpretation. Perfectionists go through life trying to force a set of rules

that exist in their minds onto the external world and others. The model they think with in their heads is "perfect" (at least in their mind it is)

and never matches reality. They see the world in black and white. Their dillema in life stems from their internal thinking not matching reality

and their need to convert the world outside of their mind into this false model. If you understand the difference between a "healthy" pefectionist and

an "unhealthy" one you will soon see just how crazed the jw Borg-Org is. I recommend reading books on the enneagram by Don Richard Russo and Russ Hudson (they author

together) and also by Thomas Condon.

I'm sure there is alot more you could read but I thought i'd give you a few places others might not think to look.

• Soledad
    Soledad

This life is not all there is, at least it doesn't have to be if you choose. You make it whatever you want it to be. You can choose to wake up every morning and vow to make that day the very best day ever. Sounds easy? It's not. But the choice is yours.

As far as books, I would highly recommend the writings of Anthony De Mello

"Come home yourself!

Come back to your senses! Do you hear that bird sing?

How can you hear the song and not hear the singer?

How can you see the wave and not see the ocean?

How can you see the dance and not see the dancer?"

www.demello.org

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I loved the pic sf. It put a smile on my face.

Leueuse I appreciate your advice but I am still confused about your posts. Are you writing quotations from somewhere?

I really do think I need to start meditating and just live a little. I printed out all the replies. They really do help.

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

stillAwitness I agree with that. Living and having fun is probably the best thing you could do.

Most people who are leaving get stuck in too much thinking and worry. You may want to choose to "not give a f@#%" for a while if you know what I mean. If you think too hard on it, it can later become a pattern hard to break. Better to ease your way through with less worry. There's no rush. Leaving or staying aren't going anywhere. You may want to pm Lola. She's taking her time with leaving and seems far less stressed over it than most people i've known. To me it seems a better route.

Dez

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Thank you dez. I did pm lola.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus
    Why does God do that? I mean, you think its true he won't give you more than you can bear?

The standard JW/Jesuit answer is that God only gives those who are strong enough the burdens to bear. Which is a load of horsehockey.

Joseph Campbell is good reading, but maybe not quite suited for stilla. I'd recommend "The Meaning of Anxiety" by Rollo May, and "The Christian Agnostic" by Leslie Weatherhead for starters. This is a dangerous time for you, stilla. You need to proceed with caution lest you become overwhelmed with feelings of helplessness.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hello stillAwitness

When I was DFed, I went through eight months of unspeakable depression. I believed Armageddon would be upon me in short order. I turned to liquor, drugs, just about anthing to try and bury the terror.

I'm saying this to let you know I empathize with you. I don't have any magic words to offer you, but I do offer my friendship and support. I take some comfort in knowing that we're all in this together.

Nate

[email protected]

• Frog
    Frog

hey there stillawittness babe, gosh I know we can all relate to your confusion, and where better to vent it than in a community of understanding such as this:)

Just try to remember babe that even though you thought (were told) that you had all the answers to lifes most perplexing problems for the past 22 years, that you didn't. Nothing has changed except that you are brave enough to get perspective. At the end of the day babe, we must acknowledge that there is no fundamental truth, or single path to knowledge. We just have to learn to be content to be. At the end of the day 'we are what we do', and it's almost as simple as that.

PM me anytime, I would love to hear an update from you:) frog x

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm well-acquainted with depression. A good friend introduced me to this book when I was going through a rough time. Although it appears a children's book on first glance, it is deeply philosophical, and it never fails to cheer me up.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince/introduction.html

You'll have to copy and paste into your web browser.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit