Sad news - Our friend Larc

by Angharad 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas

I am sorry to hear that

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am so sorry. He was such a dear man. We used to email pretty regularly a couple of years ago.

• sf
    sf

May you rest in peace Carl.

sKally

• JAVA
    JAVA
    Be vewwy vewwy careful!!

Thanks for the warning Andi. :)
    Carl used to wonder why JWs were so fearful of demons and/or other spirits when bringing home used items. He used to say, "If I was a spirt why would I hang around in a smelly old couch--I would be out flying with the eagles."

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm sorry

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

I'm absolutely shocked to here this Jan. It was only a year ago that Carl asked me about my opinion of your stroke condition.

I find it difficult to put into words what I want to say. Carl was an inspiration and a lovely man.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

My prayers are with the family.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Dear ((Jan)),

Carl was the very first person to welcome me to this db, a welcoming I so desperately needed...and he was there.

And then you went through your own difficulties, and he was there for you as well.

When I talked to him this last summer, he sounded as frisky as a 1-year old pup...so this sad news is a surprise indeed, beyond words.

He was a cantankerous old fellow, but with a heart as big as Montana.

I will always respectfully remember him in that way, and hope that you fare well in the next few weeks and months, as you adjust to life without him.

With my very sincerest condolences, and best wishes,

Craig

• alias
    alias

Take care, Larc.

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((Jan))))

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Larc/Carl was my "coup" as I organized the first SE Michigan Apostofest -- he was our out-of-stater and I remember being sorely disappointed that he showed up without Zazu when his train rolled into the AMTRAK station in Pontiac.

We had a delightful lunch at BW3 and he told me all about his team playing that Trivia Network game on most Saturdays. Then, when I brought him to Flint to check into his hotel, he took me on a tour of Riverside(?) Cemetary to share with me the wonderful sculptures that dot the landscape there. He also had me drive him around past his old digs and haunts. And bragged on his granddaughter.

That evening, we joined the rest of the "apostates" at Chili's and, when saner people left for home, Jourles, Carl, Hmmmm and I braved an incredible downpour to "retire" to a microbrew joint on Saginaw in Pontiac. Carl was the life of the party, full of spit, vinegar and some truly awful jokes!

Later on, when I was mulling over going to college at the ripe old age of 45, Carl was one of the biggest proponents of the view that it was NEVER too late to get an education. In fact, I think he wrote a thread that inspired me to take action. At any rate, I know he encouraged me and, frankly, it is my pursuit of a college degree that is keeping me focussed and relatively sane now that I am facing my own health issues.

We sometimes argued, but always our conversations and posts were tempered with mutal respect for the bruised human beings we had been because of our JW affiliation.

I felt sincere affection for Carl and for Jan, the few times that I was able to speak with the Thorntons by telephone.

May you have peace, ((((Jan))), as I'm sure Carl has already arrived at that state.

Sincerely,

Brenda/outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit