Sad news - Our friend Larc

by Angharad 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Very sad news. I liked Larc. He was witty, intelligent and sometimes had a wicked sense of humor. He will be missed.

• nowisee
    nowisee

when i first came here larc was around a lot, posting excellent wisdom and advice and insight. he and i had some conversations that still stay with me in an encouraging way.

i am sad that he is gone.

but not forgotten.

best wishes, nowisee

• LDH
    LDH

Ang,

Please tell Zazu I will miss Larc greatly. We had some wonderful conversations. It was like talking with an old friend.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sorry to hear that.

Larc one of the posters who made an impression on me when I first found JWD and I thank him for that

((((((Zazu and family)))))

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

My condolences (((((((((((Zazu and Family)))))))))) .

IC

• nilfun
    nilfun

I am so sorry to hear this, and very sorry for your loss, Zazu. Please accept my condolences.(())

• vitty
    vitty

I do remember larc posting, its very sad

My condolences to his family and friends

• Special K
    Special K

My sincere condolences to you Zazu..

I truly enjoyed reading and pondering Larc's posts here on JWD.

Special K

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Condolences.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him on the forum, I guess it was before my day here. Thoughts to the family.

Jeff

• JAVA
    JAVA

Carl's Thornton, (larc on the JW Forum) died early Monday morning while in the hospital. He was weak and in for treatment of a severe infection and was receiving high doses of antibiotics. Carl's heart failed, and he died in his sleep. He was 65-years old. I've known Carl for nearly 20 years, and to say that I'm saddened is an understatement beyond words.

Like many on this forum, Carl grew up in a JW family. Unlike most JWs of his time, he went to college and received an undergraduate degree B.S. in Chemistry. Graduate school followed and he earned a Ph.D. in field of Psychology. His students knew him as Doctor Thorton, Professor of Psychology at GMI (the college changed names to Kettering University not long ago) in Flint, Michigan. I knew him as a friend, not a professor.

Carl wrote the Preface in "The Mental Health of Jehovah's Witnesses" by Jerry Bergman, Ph.D. He was honest about Bergman's research saying, "Dr. Bergman and I differ in our viewpoints in one particular area. He stresses more the environmental impact of the J.W. culture in precipitating mental problems. While I share this view regarding psychosomatic illnesses and neurotic depression, my review of the research in the areas of psychosis and alcoholism leads me to believe that there is very strong genetic component to these problems." But he also added, "Nonetheless, I share Dr. Bergman's concerns. The tragedy, as I see it, is the total ignorance among the congregational elders in the Watchtower hierarchy regarding the etiology and treatment of mental conditions. This ignorance can have devastating impact on someone suffering such problems. J.W. members stand a good chance of committing suicide or becoming chronically and permanently impaired as a result of the improper treatment they receive” (p.5). Like many health-care professionals, Carl saw the caused by high-control religious sects.

Twenty-years ago I read an interesting article in one of the few newsletters that was reaching out to ex-JWs. This was before the days of the Internet, and groups like this forum. Dr. Thorton wrote the article, and the newsletter had his P.O. Box address, which was in the same city I live. I wrote to Carl, and a few weeks later he wrote back. Thereafter we met at a coffee shop several times and we became friends, and that’s how I came to know Carl.

He was always willing to share articles, booklets, books, etc. If I had a dollar for every cup of coffee we drank together, I’d be a rich man. The fact is I’m richer today because of Carl. I sincerely believe this forum is richer too because of him. I will truely miss him.

Goodbye old friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit