SCHIZOPHRENIA + JWS = ??

by lisaBObeesa 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Lisa-

First thing, like was already mentioned--make sure your aunt is somewhere safe.(Even if it does piss someone off.) Ask about her meds, but chances are she'll say whatever she thinks you want to hear. I've dealt with alot of mentally ill people--98% of the time they are either not taking their meds, or needs their meds adjusted. Since she has just been released from the hospital, she should already have an appointment with a psychiatrist. (If not, she needs one right away .) You can always call and talk to him. BUT--he cannot tell you anything due to Dr./patient priviledges. You can tell him your concerns, maybe get a faster appointment.

I have dealt with a couple of JW's and mental illness. Even after doing alot of education with them, they are still convinced that it's the "demons" because the patient was "spiritually weak". They are convinced that MORE service work, more studying the JW literature, more prayer, etc.......is the only way to be rid of mental illness. Elders and MS are not trained to deal with true mental illness. They use guilt to try and scare people. So the mentally ill person carries on added pressure, thinking this is all their fault---hence suicide attempts occur.

I can vouch for this--I'm bipolar--many suicide attempts, ect. If I would have listened to them, I know I'd be dead today.

If your dad is being "weird" intentually--it's doing alot more harm than good. In most all states they have an "Adult protective services". There is emotional abuse going on here. Is he making sure she's taking her meds? I think they'd be interested in hearing about blaming the demons. Talk like this needs to be addressed ASAP. It can cause damage that might not ever be undone. Mentally ill people sometimes cannot differentiate between what is true and what's not.

Sorry I got carried away. I've just seen the damage done to patients. Please, at least call her doctor. Oh- one more question--does your dad have any type of power of attorney (health &/or financial) over her. It's a big NO NO- to withhold any medical care.

shelley

PS- Another idea--if you are here in the US all states have mental health advocates. You can call the local mental health facility for the number. They are there to advocate for the patient. They usually are great people!

• garybuss
    garybuss

She is always thinking someone is stalking her or tryin to play jokes on her,just bothering her plain and simple.
    If there is no one stalking her for real, that might be a delusion and a delusion that has features like someone trying to do some harm to me is a paranoid delusion. It's my understanding that paranoid delusions are kind of a classic symptom of Paranoid Schizophrenia but not exclusive to Schizophrenia. I gotta think, no way is a history of paranoid delusions a signal of mental health.

• steve2
    steve2
    It's my understanding that paranoid delusions are kind of a classic symptom of Paranoid Schizophrenia but not exclusive to Schizophrenia. I gotta think, no way is a history of paranoid delusions a signal of mental health.

Pretty sound observations and conclusions Gary! We ought not forget that, not so long ago in human history, it was considered a divine gift to hear voices and see things that others could not see. Think of the prophets of old such as Ezekiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah. It's kind of disturbing to think that, judged by today's "enlightened" standards, they'd be considered suffering from delusions of grandeur and medicated to the eyeballs.

I agree that some people are distressed by their unusual perceptual and thought experiences, and listening to the "warnings" of well-meaning concerned fundamentalists may be just enough to push them over the edge, preferring death to living with the torment. The current therapeutic approach is best summed up in the modality referred to as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which focuses on integrating and accepting the unusual experiences as part of one's life, rather than resorting to efforts to get rid of the phenomena. It is said to be the one of the most effective therapies for those tormented by voices or other so-called disturbances.

• Tez
    Tez

Schizophrenia affects each person differently. The only real experience I have come across with someone who has it was horrific... This person, that I was close to, didn't take her meds the way she should have, she started hearing voices and ended up 'sacrificing' her young daughter for Jehovah!!!! and then tried to take her own life! It still makes me go cold thinking about this but it emphasises the need for someone with this disorder to have the correct medical and psychological care. Sadly she was neglected by the medical profession and the elders in her cong didn't understand her condition. The advice you have already been given is the best you could have, also for yourself to find out as much about it as you possibly can... It takes a lot of understanding and obviously your father hasn't a clue! but you could perhaps help him understand it doesn't come about as a result of spiritual weakness, it is a very real and dangerous condition for many.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I remember treating an acutely psychotic teen once who had hallucinations & delusions that disturbed her greatly. Her mother kept telling her they're real and made it worse in so many ways. We implored her not to do it but she refused to stop. There was talk of reporting her to Child Protective Services for purposely making her child's illness worse; I don't remember the outcome.

Anyways.......it is really sad your dad thinks this is the appropriate time to "educate" your aunt. It is SO unkind of him to do so. Even if he feels a spiritual responsibility to witness to your aunt, anyone with common sense would realize now is not the time. Is it possible he thinks she is being harassed by the demons and he's warning her? How misguided and very sad.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Lisa, I totally hear you. I'm sort of dealing with this one too in my family. A certain member of the fam has a schiz.-type disorder, and mom has recently started communicating with her again. Mom is thinking it's the demons, and doubts the medical knowledge that it's genetic, and a physiological problem. The rest of us are trying to convince mom of the truth about schiz., but mom isn't sure. IT'S SO ANNOYING! How can you blatantly doubt facts?

So now that mom is talking to her, she is telling her to just come back to the truth to get rid of demons. Mom also says to us that she just wishes this relative could get off some of her meds because she's heard of the terrible side effects. Yes there are horrible side effects, but the alternative is stuff like your aunt is going through, Lisa, the suicide attempts, and absolutely dangerous and out of control behavior. I just want to say, I hear ya, and let's just keep trying to get the message through of the importance of these meds......!!!!!!......

• Talina
    Talina

hey i am schizo-affective, i worry about suicide everyday and if i am going to do it. then i think of all the things i should live for. i take meds and they kept me stablized. i dont have those thoughts very often but when i do i get someone. if you have questions about schizophrenia, i can tell you how people with it think. because i used to think i was an alien and everyone was against me. but now i am stable. so. just ask...

• steve2
    steve2

Hey there Tal

• steve2
    steve2

Hey there Talina,

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you are living your life despite the difficulties you face. I agree with your comments.

There is so much unheard of courage and determination among people who daily face mental health difficulties and it can be an encouragement to other sufferers and their families that this does not need to be a 'prison' sentence, as it were.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi Lisa

That's sad. Yes, what he is doing is harmful. I'm so sorry.

I hope you can help her.

Nathan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit