SCHIZOPHRENIA + JWS = ??

by lisaBObeesa 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I really am upset right now, and for a wide variety of reasons. But number one on my list right now is my worry about my aunt.

My aunt is schizophrenic and obviously off her meds. She tried to commint sucide about a month ago and was put into a hospital...she got out two weeks ago, and my dad came into town to take care of her while she is adjusting to life out on her own again.

The trouble is, my dad has gotten very involved with the JWs again in the last few months. When I saw my aunt today, she told me about how she 'gets messages' from the TV, but my Dad (her brother) is helping her deal with that. (hummm)

Then Dad tells me he has explained to my paranoid schizophrenic aunt that demons are real, but how we can be safe from them.

She tells me how my dad studied with her from the Bible for 2 hours today and how great it was. And how dad gave her a 'beautiful Delux Version of the Bible with gold on the edges of the pages.'

She is still clearly very ill, still 'receiving messages' music videos and things like that. I think what my dad is teaching her is really not helpful and maybe even bad for her! I think the only thing he should be teaching her is how to take her meds every day!!

Am I the one who is paranoid? Is it really not that big of a deal? Because it is really bothering me and I don't know if I should do anything about it..

Your thoughts?

Worried,

Lisabobeesa

• horrible life
    horrible life

Your father needs to talk to a medical professional about schizophrenia, to understand and learn more about it. And how important it is to take her medication. I have an uncle who shows up at my parents house when he is off his meds. Dad rolls his eyes, and opens the door for him. The CIA, implants tiny little listening devices in his skin, and different items throughout the house. He distroys his skin, and the house.

It is a horrible disease. Your father needs to understand this. Religion is not going to help. I wouldn't even mention demons. That is the last thing she needed to hear about. Invisable beings, meant to do you harm. OMG !!!!!

Bottom line, she needs her medication, He needs help. HL

• carla
    carla

You are right to be worried. Your father needs to be educated! And she needs her meds! I wish I knew how to tell you how to reach a jw about this or anything else but you know him, there must be some way. He needs to understand it is an illness. Best wishes, carla

• steve2
    steve2

Is your aunt safe or at risk of self-harm? if so, you need to act promptly because there is a high correlation between self-harm or suicidal behaviour and incorrect use of prescribed medications among those with the diagnosis of schizophrenia.

If your aunt is at increased risk of self-harm as a result of stopping her prescribed medication, does the law of your land have a mental health act that can assist in having her mental status reviewed by a duly authorised officer?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Seriously Lisa if I you I would go to www.schizopherenia.com and ask this question there. You are more apt to get a useable reply from people who actually deal with this condition on a daily basis and know it from both sides. It's a really good web site, very friendly and helpful.

Good luck and yes you have every reason to be very concerned and worried.

PS I know for a fact that there are JW's on that forum it could be interesting to hear what they have to say.

• Erich
  • Erich
    Erich

Hi al

• Erich
    Erich

What, if she REALLY get messages via TV ?;-))))

E.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Thank you all for your replies.

Bikerchic, thank you for the link.

Steve, she was in the hospital for 3 weeks because she was at risk for self harm, now she is out so I assume the doctors feel she is no longer a risk. I just don't know if she is on her meds or what.... All I know is that she is very unstable right now. And I know she has appointments a couple times a week with the doctors. I think I will just straight out ask her if she is on her meds when I see her next.

I seriously am starting to think my dad is mentally ill because his thinking on this is...wierd.

Maybe I should find out who her doctors are and speak to them...

• acuragirl
    acuragirl

Im dealing with something similar with my mom.She is exremely paranoid but she doesnt have schizo....at least i dont think.She is always thinking someone is stalking her or tryin to play jokes on her,just bothering her plain and simple.I think some of what she says is valid ,like she gets a few prank callers,but who doesnt! Most of what she tells me is bolongne.Just her active imagination,probably learned thinking throught he WTS.This woman has had her locks changed like 10 times in the past year! And a couple weeks ago she told me someone stole her dinner out of her refigerator...............needless to say i was speechless but it became even stranger when she told me it reappeared in the refigerator............???????. You see what the WTS can do to people, make them totally wacko!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit