Why DOESN'T Ray Franz post here?

by AlmostAtheist 51 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Sometimes it's a surprise to those of us who spend a big chunk of our lives wrapped around computers at work and at home, but there are still lots and lots and lots of ex-JW's who do not participate on forums like this. Computers just aren't their thing.

This is only a guess, but maybe this is true of Mr. Franz, especially given his age.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Concensus seems to be:

1) He's just not interested in the "ex-jw online community" (possibly due to age, lack of expertise with/interest in computers, time constraints)

2) He wouldn't want the attention (he could post without ever revealing who he was, maybe he already does. [personally, I doubt it])

3) He's trying to use his remaining years actually living and not playing Watchtower games

Sound like perfectly reasonable explanations to me.

Dave

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I sent him an email once thanking him for his book and how much it helps so many of us who get bulldozed by the runaway train that is the delusional world of the jw.

I got the sense that he really didn't want to be associated with any anti-jw type thing. He called a spade a spade. He doesn't feel the need to pile on. He is also aware that there are a lot of misplaced and unecessary negativity directed at the jw and it's members. It is hard not to be negative when you are on the receiving end of their toxic delusions, but ultimately they are just what he called them, "victims of victims" and "captives of a concept". He probably just doesn't want to be apart of anything like that.

Plus he is not in the best of health. The last email he responded with gave me a detailed description of his health problems.

I love Ray but he isn't the worlds greatest summarizer.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi Agnes I don't think I've seen you befreo so Welcome

Pretty much the question has been answered. He's elderly, ill, and busy with his own work.

What else is there to say about it?

Every person who leaves the WTS has to decide for him/herself how they will deal with their history in the WTS. Heck Why don't my daughters who are both "out" choose not to get involved with JWD?

Franz makes a huge impact with his book. He is available by email or snail mail. By publishing his books he has made himself available to anyone who wants to contact him

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

CYP,

The last email he responded with gave me a detailed description of his health problems.

Sounds like a typical elderly, ill person. There are some people you just don't ask, "How are you doing?"

Andi

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

How do you know he doesn't? It's a simple matter to post here with an assumed name. I suspect he occasionally posts here, but not wanting to draw attention to himself and spoil the fun, he posts under an assumed identity. Perhaps I am really Ray Franz.

Nate "Ray" Franz

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You can tell which books he wrote for the Society. They are very wordy. I affectionately say he could use a good editor.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I met Ray last month when he was in Germany (I only had occasional mail exchanges with him before). He is a very nice, kind and modest person who has all my respect. I do believe that he doesn't want to be a "religious leader" anymore -- actually, the very concept of "religious leadership" is among those which he has most consistently criticised in his writings.

This being said, I think much of his own "faith" (let alone the WT specifics) has remained unchanged. He believes in God, Jesus and the Bible as the Word of God, and concentrates on what he deems upbuilding from this perspective. He obviously doesn't understand why so many of us have gone a few steps further and question the Bible or theism, or have joined other churches, religions or philosophies. Even though I do not share his views on many things, I can understand that and I am sure his work can help many people on the fringe of the WT and beyond, so I really don't feel like challenging him on his beliefs.

He probably reads JWD from time to time, but I think it is quite wise of him not to post and argue.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Sounds like a typical elderly, ill person. There are some people you just don't ask, "How are you doing?"

Andi

Now that is a sensible reply... If you ask I must lie -so dont ask,Unless you want to ruin your day.LOL

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well said Confession

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit