My so-called life

by riko 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• riko
    riko

Hello everyone..I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about my experiences.

I'm 23, have been raised in the Truth all my life. When I was 18, I made a foolish decision to get married, something I knew deep down I wasn't ready for, still being very much in the 'bloom of youth'. I reluctantly saw my future as being one of Jehovahs Witnesses and with all my adolescent drives, I moved away from home to marry a man with about the same maturity as me. I did try to back out of the marriage 3 weeks before the wedding, tearfully telling my parents I was petrified and couldn't go through with it. I was convinced to go ahead with it after a bit of violence from my father and my mother's terror at losing face in the Kingdom Hall. After all, what self-respecting witness family wants a daughter who has backed out of a serious commitment, a promise. I was reminded that God viewed an engagement the same as He viewed marriage. Things predictably didn't go well and I eventually left my husband, met someone else and was disfellowshipped. All within a year. My family turned their backs on me, I was a long way from home and my depression was consuming me.

A year later, I was so desperately lonely, I contacted my parents and asked if I could come home. They agreed on the condition I was repentent and that I would work to get reinstated. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. I was treated like a leper for a year, going to meetings as they started and leaving just after the prayer so no-one would have to feel uncomfortable in my presence. I would go into the car park, sit in the car and cry for half an hour before my family returned. Even though we used to pick up my Gran every meeting and take her with us, she wouldn't speak to me until I was reinstated. It happened eventually, after a humiliating grilling from the judicial committee.

That was around 2 years ago and I have since left home and stopped attending meetings. I decided my own hypocrisy could continue no longer, my heart is not in the Truth and it never was. Now, many of my 'friends' and family don't speak to me if they can help it. I still have a relationship with my mother, father and brothers but that's it and I've found that my world is very small. I never fitted in with anyone while growing up in the Truth and I wasn't allowed to associate with any of the 'worldly' kids which has left me in a state where I can't make friends or feel comfortable around anyone. I never developed any social skills through the restrictions imposed on me and I've suffered from depression for around 4 years, it becoming more serious in the last year. In short, I've lost my youth. I'm terrified of people, I'm even nervous about writing this, being told you've never done a thing right takes its toll eventually.

I've seen the society treat people terribly, most recently my own brother. He was widowed 2 years ago nearly, left with a little girl of 18months at the age of only 26. He stopped going to the meetings shortly after she died and then met a woman who had left her husband through his violence and sexual perversions and they fell in love and married a few months ago. They've both been through hell and they helped each other through it all. They were threatened with disfellowshipping a week ago for their 'unlawful' marriage due to my sister-in-law not divorcing on the grounds of adultery. Apparently, mental torture, beatings, sexual violence and slave labour aren't grounds enough. They escaped with a public reproval, despite the fact that both of them haven't been going to meetings for almost 2 years. The husband of my new sister-in-law is still giving talks as a ministerial servant and the elders sit in the hall listening to him, knowing him to be a wife-beater and rapist. He's now courting again and his new girlfriend has no idea of his nature, nor will she ever as long as the elders are covering it up. Incidentally, my sister in law was abused by her father who was locked up for molesting his children but still remained a brother in the congregation and no reproach was ever brought upon him. His family, even the ones abused as children, protected his good name til the day he died.

I always believed I was the only one who felt there was something wrong about the Truth, no-one else would question anything and if I ever did, it was always satan talking. Blind faith is what I was expected to have, and to question was allowing the devil into your mind. The amount of times we were warned about the internet, the devils highway, the warnings we had about the lies we'd see on there, I now understand why.

I apologise for the rambling, like a lot of people here I'm sure, I have a lot to say about the society and how its affected me personally. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to getting to know you all :)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I always believed I was the only one who felt there was something wrong about the Truth

Surprise!

Yeah, the rules say you're not allowed to think bad thoughts, and you're required to report anyone that does have bad thoughts. So everyone that has them suffers in silence, thinking they are totally alone. Beautiful scam, absolutely lovely.

I'm sorry things have gone so poorly for you. JW's don't begin to see the irony of forcing people into bad decisions, then turning their backs on them when it falls apart.

Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing your story!

Dave

• Satanus
    Satanus

Welcome, riko. What a mess you have passed through. Most people here understand. Fortunately, you discovered the truth about the truth quickly. ((riko))

S

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome to the forum, riko! Glad you found us. You are definitely not alone.

• riko
    riko

Thanks for the words guys, sometimes you don't need anyone to give you solutions, you just need to know they're there.

JW's don't begin to see the irony of forcing people into bad decisions, then turning their backs on them when it falls apart.

That's certainly been my experience, the sad thing is, I've seen it happen to people who have accepted that it's their fault they've lost the elders help and strive to gain their approval again. Whatever happened to unconditional love?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Riko, some sheep who stray are gone after, some sheep who stray are locked outside.

You are not alone. Almost every Witness suppresses their questions and nearly every one of them refuses to find answers. They are terrified of what the answers will be. Meanwhile, the Organization enjoys the same collective freedoms as those claimed by the Pharisees and Sadducees, binding up heavy loads for the people that don't have to budged with a little finger by the Organization.

You ARE NOT ALONE in questioning. Not by far. In fact, everyone with more than a few dozen brain cells questions. The smarter ones find answers. The ones who are even smarter than that, leave when they find the answers.

AuldSoul

• Dansk
    Dansk

WELCOME, RIKO!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad you came here because this site can literally save your life. Your story is an echo of thousands here. We've all been touched by the pain and misery forced upon us by Watchtower. Some of us are just about healed, others are getting there and still others, like you, are still deeply hurt and feel fragile and vulnerable.

Dare I say it, you have age on your side! I'm 51 and gave 19 years of my life to a heinous organisation that is rotten to the core. Others gave far more years than I. My respect for their leaving after so long cannot be measured. It takes courage.

As has been mentioned, you are definitely not alone - and YOU have courage! Yes, you might not think so, but it takes great courage to do what you've done. You've seen Watchtower for what it truly is and against all the pressures you have taken your stand - because your stand is RIGHT!

I could say much more but the best thing to do would be for you to stick around and read more of the postings here. Before you know it you'll be crying with joy - because you'll have realised that there is a mass of real empathy here. It is priceless. It's what makes me come back virtually every day. You're now amongst true friends. Some are obviously still bitter about their experiences and one can fully appreciate why.

I am encouraged - so encouraged - by your coming here - because it means Watchtower has lost another lovely person from its ranks. And a young one at that! At this rate it will have only its dreary old stuck in the mud old timers left - and those who love their positions of "power".

Great to meet you. Stick around! Your recovery is near!!

Ian

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Welcome, Riko!

I always believed I was the only one who felt there was something wrong about the Truth

Thats what they want you to think! They keep you in isolation for a reason. They feed you the myth "if I didn't stay with the witnesses where would I go?"

Ha, life is GREAT outside the borganization!

Sherry

• Dawn
    Dawn

welcome riko:

Much of your story hits me so close to home. I was your same age when I was DF'd and had many of the same circumstances. I felt almost like I had been dropped into another country where I was lost - I didn't know the customs or speak the language. Having been raised in the truth and not allowed to have "wordly friends" I was lost as to how to rebuild a life outside of the JW's.

I have two pieces of advice for you and I hope that you will take them to heart because they come from someone who was once where you are, and has made it through to the other side. I am now almost 40 and have rebuilt my life AND my self-esteem. I am in a really good place now.

(1) seek counseling. I don't now your financial situation, but here in America there are low cost options for counseling and I imagine the same can be found in your area. If not, even finding a person who you can talk to - someone who is not a JW. Just being able to tell your story to an unbiased and objective listener really helps - they can give you feedback and help you to sort through your feelings.

(2) Go to college - even if it's just one class right now. This was one of the single most important steps I took that began the rebuilding of my self esteem. I didn't start with that goal - my goal was to get a degree and a better job. But the ultimate outcome was much better than that. As I learned new things I was able to start thinking outside of my JW upbringing, started to see life on a much broader scale. And each project I successfully completed, every good grade I got, was one more step towards rebuilding my self esteem. Like you, I was always told I was wrong - but in college I was finding that I was right a lot of the time. Being told you are correct, that you are good at something, that you are smart - that goes a long way to help build up what was tore down years ago. It also gave me the opportunity to meet people in a relaxed environment - to make new friends outside of the JW environment.

It's a long road to rebuild a life - and not an easy one either. But in the end, I think I am actually better off for it because I am stronger now than someone who has not had to travel this road. Good luck to you - and feel free to IM me if you want to talk more.

Dawn

• jgnat
    jgnat

My goodness, you are too young to declare your life over. I wonder if a few word choices can give you a fresh start. Like, consider this your chance for a rebirth.

I was never a JW, but I took my own hits in life. I, too, had my youth cut short. My mother was institutionalized for bipolar disorder when I was twelve. I was depressed for over a year afterwards. Lonely, I got pregnant. To a violent man. I had two children by him, then I finally mustered the courage to leave him. The third time. I was nineteen years old. My self-esteem was destroyed, my emotions were flattened, and I was incapable of making a decision on my own.

God took the destroyed person I was and made something beautiful out of it. I had to be strong for my children, so I got responsible right quick. I got my high school diploma through correspondence and worked my way off welfare. I was a good mom, no, a great mom. I always kept their future in mind when I raised them up. I worked very, very hard.

Now, my children are grown, sadly one of them has a chronic mental illness. But I love them just the same and they love me right back. Naomi, my grandchild, is the light of my eye and a delight to my soul. My experience has made me a compassionate and generous person. I would not take back my history, because that would mean my little family would never have been born. I would not be so tough or smart if I didn't go through what I did. I also have a good nose for manipulative, abusive talk. You do too.

You have a bright future, too, riko. You are young enough to learn how to make friends. Get professional treatment for your depression. And volunteer for a worthy cause to build your self-esteem and meet new people. I guarantee in a year you will feel like a new woman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit