what do you think about.................................

by defd 80 Replies latest jw friends

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I wonder if they would let sisters go door to door, if they had big bushes of hair in their pits?

• JH
    JH

As long as the sister or brother looks neat with their whiskers

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    It's all about the image that the watchtower sales organization is trying to create. Many companies have dress codes that will ensure that their sales people are representing the company in a professional manner. Dress is just one aspect of that. For example, Disney doesn't allow facial hair for men or large jewelry for women among other rules.

Good point, Coffee.

I have thought the same way about it. They perhaps thinks it 'gives a witness'. It is impossible not to know that a group are witnesses when you see them around - mainly because of the way they dress and groom. The organization indicates that it makes one look like a minister of the good news should look to others.

I maintain it is massively superficial to assume that grooming and dress make the man. It makes an impression, yes. But means little.

When I was in upper management, I met hundreds of well groomed and well dressed persons. Some of them had the morals of belly-button lint. Others were fine upstanding members of society.

I have also met some very unkempt persons who had hearts of gold and kindness beyond normal. And morals that would make many so called Christians cower in shame.

Grooming to a standard has nothing to do with the heart and spirit of someone.

Jeff

• undercover
    undercover
    It's all about the image that the watchtower sales organization is trying to create. Many companies have dress codes that will ensure that their sales people are representing the company in a professional manner. Dress is just one aspect of that. For example, Disney doesn't allow facial hair for men or large jewelry for women among other rules.

I was told by an elder that it was about the "image". He gave the example of a company Ross Perot owned in Texas and how men weren't allowed facial hair, long hair and women had to wear dresses/skirts, no pants. It was to uphold a certain image. Similarly, some standards are in place for JWs since they are going door to door representing the God's message.

That argument still didn't work with me at the time. Being a Christian or talking about God isn't a business, we're not part of a major corporation....oh wait...maybe...yes...could be...it has to be...it IS! That's it! It IS a business. That's all it is. It's all about marketing and sales. It's not about being a Christian or following the Bible, it's about the WTS control of it's employees so that they give a good showing to the public as they ply their wares to them.

• vitty
    vitty

My husband used to feel uncomfortable going in an area that didnt like ppl in "authority" social sevices or police, when wearing a suit because he said ppl distrusted you if you looked too formal and that wed be much better off wearing just trousers and a sweater, but oh no, common sense doesnt come into it.

We would often be mistaken for some officials and they just wouldnt open the door !!!!!!!!!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

if you want to grow your facial hair - go ahead - Jehovah didn't make any mistakes when he created you, you have hair, it grows, keep it if you will, turf it if you don't.

The witnesses can be penny wise / pound foolish - the make many laws/ or rules to abide by yet they miss the bigger more important issues.

• undercover
    undercover
    We would often be mistaken for some officials and they just wouldnt open the door !!!!!!!!!

We had to work public housing in service. When you pulled into the parking lot, there'd be tons of people just hanging out, smoking and drinking. As soon as we got out of the car and the people saw two suits walking toward them, they disappeared pretty damn quick. They thought we were detectives or social workers or something. But when they figured out we were JWs, they wanted even less to do with us.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey DefD,

While still a JW, one now ex-JW wrote to the Society asking why he should be denied privileges in the congregation due to having a beard. I have a PDF scan of their response. Throughout the letter, they make the points that every area of the world differs in what is appropriate attire and grooming, that they can't possibly research each area, and so leave it to the local elders to make the call. They specifically say that a person could not be denied baptism, membership in the Theocratic Ministry School, or having a share in the ministry for the sole reason that they have a beard. (I like the suggestion here that there is *something* that could allow them to DENY you the right to share in the ministry -- just not a beard. Hee, hee.) However, they point out that other "privileges of service" might be unavailable to one that has a beard.

The last paragraph is the most telling. I'll quote it here:

"At the same time, on matters of grooming, we do agree that this should be left to an individual's personal decision. While a certain style of grooming, such as wearing a beard, does not prevent a person from being valued as one of Jehovah's servants in the Christian congregation, it may have some effect on the extent he can be used for additional privileges, depends on the local sentiment. In time, a person's preferences may even change somewhat when considering all of the factors involved."

(Emphasis added)

So basically they are saying that it is entirely between you and Jehovah if you want to wear a beard. But it is up to the whims of the local elders to work out what the consequences of your decision will be. And of course, your "preferences" may fall in line change when you see those consequences consider all factors involved.

Don't wear it out of spite. Wear it or don't wear it because you want to. If you do something strictly because someone else doesn't want you to do it, you're still controlled by them.

Dave

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Oh the pictures, they show Jesus with a beard ? Yes they do but they also show him with long hair. In those days there were only one group of people that had long hair and it were not the Jews. I do not remember who they were but it is written in the scriptures. So using those pictures is not a good stand to use as evidence.

Yes - but does anyone recall when they showed Jesus without a beard? All the pubs up until [I'm guessing a little- I know the timeframe but not actual dates] about the early 60's showed Jesus clean shaven. Then all of a sudden he had a beard again.

This point actually made my dad doubt the witness faith for years. He wondered how 'God's organization' could not see such a simple point as that correctly for years. He never became a witness - thank God.

Jeff

• defd
    defd

Why would wearing a beard be spiteful? How does it portray a bad attitude?
    If it's neatly trimmed and you like it and it looks good on you, what sin is it to wear the beard? Why is is such an issue to the elders or the Society? Why is this personal decision taken away from you? There is absolutely no principle or command given in the Bible about not wearing a beard, unless you're a Levite. Paul(I think it was) counseled on neat grooming, but no direct rules were given.

What I mean by that is, if the brothers admonish me to shave for this and that reason and I dont want to and because I want to SHOW them, that would be a bad attitude. If I do research and find that it is ok and it is just a rule made by local congregations and the reason why they would say no is not a good one, then I wouldnt feel bad not complying.

D.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit