Quotes web site: Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back!

by Quotes 112 Replies latest members private

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Now we know why the Orthodox persecute them in Eastern Europe, they don't need more stalinist communists.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Quotes, let me know if there is anything I can do

Like SNG said only shorter....I am still here to help if you need it. I am not about to let those BASTARDS WIN !!!

POZ

• mouthy
    mouthy

Dirty Pool is the game of the WT...

Well as Granny on this site . I think we should ALL( if able) let Quotes know HOW MUCH MONEY! we will donate to sue the WT to Quotes!!!!!

Dont let them get away with this one......Quotes you have a pm

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

One of the best sites on the Internet, bar none!

That site single-handedly bears out what an old friend once told me, "The Watchtower's biggest enemy is its own writings".

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

They're persistent little drones, I'll give them that. I wish I were network and computer savy. Then I could have been one of the new heads on Quotes' hydra. Looks like we'll just have to make this as public as possible.

Is it feasible to put the whole site's contents into separate groupings and have those distributed onto various websites and linked with each other? Sorta make their misleading claim of your lifting hundreds of pages material a non issue?

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

23 May 2005

The Drive

Dear Quotes:

When this harassment issue arose earlier, I had assumed that it would be resolved by your counsel's excellent response. Around that time the following article appeared:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2112477 (Osama, Call Your Agent! Is Doubleday violating Bin Laden's copyright? By Brendan I. Koerner)

While dealing with American law, its essence pertains to the Berne Conventions. It offers a good, succinct popular overview, with specific relevances to the fair use issues you face, suggesting that in some instances even a one hundred percent usage of booklength source material may not infringe on a copyright. Additionally, one avenue possibly worth pursuing are the editing, categorizing, and and particularly the highlighting you use on your website, which of itself offers both real and implied cumulatively transformative information. At any rate, the counsel you obtained seems to be first-rate, and must have assured you that there is no merit to this harassment.

Tactically, there could be no advantage to the WTS pursuing this worthless case to the point of actually suing you, since, unlike most of their idiocies which harm only those within their power, such a lawsuit would have real news value. Jehovah's Witnesses value systems and motivations are so beyond my ken, however, that should they continue, you may expect both whatever support you require and an exponential increase in the spread of the information you sought to distribute with your website.

My congratulations on your achievement with your website (which I have read, and enjoyed in a rather perverse way). Its effectiveness is evident.

Best regards,

[Dilaceratus]

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

Just when you think the Society can't get any more stupid and evil . . . I advise everyone to look up the details on copyright law. There's a thing called fair use, and the quotes site is a classic, texbook case of fair use. (Everything you need to know about fair use can be found in the links on this page: http://www.cetus.org/fairindex.html) Given the sheer volume of litterature (sic) the Society has pumped out, the quotes site couldn't have more than a hundreth of a percent of it online. The organizing of that material into topics and the highlighting proves that it was posted for research and discussion purposes, and that's what fair use is. If anyone needs to access the information from the quotes site, go here: http://web.archive.org/web/20041012012555/quotes.watchtower.ca/ Don't know how long that will be available. I might download the whole thing and burn it to a CD-ROM. Robert V Frazier

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

I guess the "truth" really does hurt those (WTB&TS) that ignore it!

• avengers
    avengers
    These guys have too many years of having their way abusing the law. I'm behind you Quotes.

More people are behind you dude.

"The Watchtower's biggest enemy is its own writings".

Well, if you ever wrote something like that wouldn't you want it buried dead and gone? These writings, done under influence of the Great Spirit of Jehovah will haunt you forever Watchtower. Here's another one.

Andy of the super disappointed in the "slave" class.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hope things work out Quotes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit