Quotes website: Defending and Legally Establishing -- an Update

by Quotes 101 Replies latest members private

• Black Man
    Black Man

Quotes:

This thread brought a smile to my face. So cool to see you and your lawyer giving the 'Tower all they can handle. Major props and kudos go to you and your lawyer for a well-thought out rebuttal. Thanks for putting your site up, thanks for fighting to keep it up. That site has helped me tremendously..........keep fighting!!

• Scully
    Scully

jgnat wrote:

Is there an economic loss associated with Quotes' site?

If the WTS claims that they have lost revenue associated with the distribution of these quotes on the Quotes website, they will probably find themselves in a bit of a pickle with the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (Canada's equivalent to the IRS). Remember that back in 1990 they switched to a donations-only basis of literature distribution to escape the eventuality of having to charge (and submit) GST - Goods and Services Tax - on literature that was previously distributed for a nominal fee To Cover The Cost Of Printing?. I seriously doubt that they'd want the CCRA auditing their books if they claimed such an economic loss, particularly if it was determined that the revenues were taxable.

That being said, if they pursued this line of argument, it wouldn't be difficult to show that the Donation Arrangement? itself was the main reason why the WTS's revenue began sagging - the People For Jehovah's Name? learned extremely well from their leaders (who just LOVE it when JWs volunteer all their time and resources in Putting Kingdom Interests First?) that getting something for nothing is a VERY good thing. However, we all know that in the case of WT literature, it would be a case of getting nothing for nothing. If I remember correctly it was less than 2 years after implementing the Donation Arrangement? and the WTS started printing books in soft cover instead of hard cover - well before the surge in Internet use and the creation of the Quotes website - a clear signal that revenues were already suffering.

Love, Scully

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Wow this is such good reading! I'm so glad to see that the WTS is suffering right where it hurts the most in the pocket book! Not to mention lost revenue in lost membership.

Scully excellent (as always) points!

Quotes you've done good and thanks for all the hard work you've and others have put into this incredible web site it's by far one of the best places to go to find out all about the WTS.

Totally awesome!

Kate

• Will Power
    Will Power

Scully

I seriously doubt that they'd want the CCRA auditing their books if they claimed such an economic loss, particularly if it was determined that the revenues were taxable.

could this be why the Awake! is going to monthly printing & dropping the articles used for college education and leaning more toward those biblical in nature ? Maybe "a decision" has been made for them - and that is why they have been given a year to adjust. LOL

Quotes: as long as the WT stays in business - quotes.watchtower.ca will be there.

• Scully
    Scully

Will Power writes:

could this be why the Awake! is going to monthly printing & dropping the articles used for college education and leaning more toward those biblical in nature ?

Maybe dropping the "human interest" articles is merely conforming to their underlying theme of having no interest in humanity as they focus on their bottom line.

• Will Power
    Will Power

For some JWs, weren't these "human interest" stories their only proof that they had love among..... Now what will they do?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well put, Scully.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Do it man. Do your thing.

• blondie
    blondie

Congratulations, Quotes. Looks good.

Go on vacation and miss a great post.

Blondie

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    Remember that back in 1990 they switched to a donations-only basis of literature distribution to escape the eventuality of having to charge (and submit) GST - Goods and Services Tax - on literature that was previously distributed for a nominal fee To Cover The Cost Of Printing?.

Lol - I remember this - but I was told it was because God's Word should be free.....(they never mentioned the middle portion).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit