SUICIDE

by Dansk 61 Replies latest members private

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Shamus

Suicide is a terrible thing, Dansk. Feeling like killing myself and having a family member kill themselves is quite different. I don't know how I would feel if someone I knew killed themselves.

For what it's worth, I've felt suicide first-hand and seen what it does to the rest of the family. My brother killed himself when he was only 29 (I was 20). He wasn't a JW (nor was I at the time). It wasn't only him that died that day - it killed my mother inside and she never got over it. She died while suffering a nervous breakdown and a broken heart.

Ian

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Dansk,

I had a J.W. girlfriend who kept association with a mutual girlfriend (who was disfellowshipped). The Elders called her aside and threatened her that they would disfellowship her as well if she didn't stop associating with the Disfellowshipped person.

Her answer was.. "Because of your disfellowshipping her, she has tried to committ suicide. How can I leave her when you elders put her in this mess. How will I feel if she does committ suicide knowing that she has asked me for support through all this?"....

This WTS, really discombobulates it's members.

Sad to say I suffered their discombobulated mind set for many years..and truly believed them right.

Dansk.. you mentioned "Or, as my friend is fond of saying, they?ve got their heads stuck up their rear ends"

My 17 year old son, has a medical term for that and says one is suffering from

Rectal Cranial Inversion

Once you get yourself in this position. It is very painful to get out of it, too.

sincerely

Special K

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Special K,

?discombobulates? ? had to get the dictionary out for that one!: disconcert or confuse.

?Rectal Cranial Inversion?

LOL! Yes, that?s a wonderful way of putting it!

Ian

• Sassy
    Sassy

I think what got me was the lack of love after an attempt. How horrible. You always see movies where they think someone died and they have this memorial for someone and they get to see everyone crying and saying all the things you should have seen or heard when you were alive.. but in real life in the JW world, that isn't what happened, at least not for me. When my OD didn't take, did I wake up to people telling me that I was loved and needed? No instead I was treated for the most part with the most cruel lack of love ever. This religion has not taught people to be not to be loving but accusatory. To be honest, I don't realize why I didn't leave the religion then, when I didn't die. I guess I wasn't strong enough yet.

Sassy, That "friend" of yours... leaves me absolutely speechless... bebu

thanks bebu..

• Dansk
    Dansk

Sassy (((((((HUG)))))))

To be honest, I don't realize why I didn't leave the religion then, when I didn't die. I guess I wasn't strong enough yet.

Well, you're here now - and we're mighty glad of your company!

Love,

Ian

• Sassy
    Sassy

Thanks Dansk!

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I would actually be suprised if statistically it would be that much higher, if higher at all than other religions. I knew of only one witness that killed himself, a teenager distraught over the tragic death of two of his best friends in a car accident the week before.

I have known a few others that killed themselves, and they were not witnesses. I don;t know...I do know that the witnesses really need to develop some sort of REAL counseling system, with people that have actual training. They should require elders to get real training in these areas, and to have referrals over professionals ready at their fingertips to suggest people call upon when things are too deep for them. I think for a lot of people, support from the elders along with REAL professional counseling helps.

When I was having trouble several years ago, I decided to go to a counselor, and when I told my best JW friend she applauded me. It was a big mistake though, I picked one that really didn't listen well, and didn't help me that much at all...big nightmare...put me off on counseling for a long time..long story I don't feel comfotable talking about. Anyway, I did not go back to a regular therapist, but did meet with a few counselors here and there...people that were in the trenches every day with troubled people, and they gave me some good advice and encouragement that helped me figure out things along the way. During all of this I stayed a witness....it was after I got my head together that I realized things were not right in their teachings.

Again, I don't know...I think those statistics could be difficult to qualify. But it doesn't matter what those stats would be. I think we can all agree that the WTS needs to re think allowing unqualified elders to have the responsibilty of working with those that need professional help. They need to realize that the bible does not solve mental health issues. Sure, it can be used to help give people some encouragement. I read Nina's threads about her Dad...the elders surely could have prevented that tragic event by taking care of one of their own by simple kindness.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Nina,

Jehovah's Witnesses and other high-control groups and cults survive by drilling into their members the idea that they have the only way to salvation and any deviance means death. That effectively isolates the members of the group from any outside help they might need.

So true. The basic contention of the Witnesses, what they were originally designed for, was a short-term sprint into a new-world. As a religion, they need to develop long term strategies for helping their members cope with life. Since their apocalyptic predictions continually fail - they MUST develop a real religion, something that can be relied upon to assist with daily living. Or tragedies will continue.

But I don't know if the people at the top are smart enough or loving enough to do the right thing.

What they need to do is start rebuilding the social nets they have so carelessly destroyed - by reducing the meeting and service schedule and replacing it with social activities that do not revolve around the end of the world. And then we go on from there.

CZAR

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I know of someone in my area that committed suicide. Real sweet person too.

wannaexit

• Sassy
    Sassy

For a long time after my first attempt did not succeed, I kept a bottle of pills (more this time) hidden just in case I needed them. I was trying to wait on the elders to punish me before I did. I thought I deserved anything they would put on me and had to pay the price and not take the 'running' way out.. then I planned to take the rest of the pills. I had them hid in case anyone tried to look for them to make sure after my first attempt that I wouldn't try it again. Ironically, no one ever looked for them. I think they are still hidden in the same spot.. can't say I have looked for them for a long time now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit