2015 service report

by mommyfirstandalways 109 Replies latest members private

• sir82
    sir82

Friday is probably actually a bad day to have the Memorial in terms of attendance

Why? Any "guest" who would attend would be more likely to attend on what would be perceived as "good Friday".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't know where you are Sir, but here traditionally Friday night is for going out having fun. Plus it's not a normal meeting night. (Except maybe for a few congregations that share halls)

Sunday is the ideal night for high attendance. I remember someone posted a chart years ago that proved this. The Sunday peaks stood out a mile.

• sir82
    sir82

I don't know where you are Sir, but here traditionally Friday night is for going out having fun. Plus it's not a normal meeting night. (Except maybe for a few congregations that share halls)

Well, here in the USA, Friday is viewed the same.

But I would submit that anyone who would skip a religious meeting on a Friday evening because they are bar-hopping would not be inclined to go to a religious meeting on a Sunday night at 8 or 9 PM, merely because the bars are closed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I submit that they would. Not 95% plus who go along because they believe it to varying degrees (or committed faders) but the small but significant percentage that don't really care all that much one way or another but who nevertheless make the difference in terms of the headline figure.

I can imagine grown up inactive JWs getting bugged by their parents to at least attend the Memorial: "what, Mom when is it anyway? Friday night, come on, no way!"

• sir82
    sir82

We can round and round on this.

I imagine the same conversation going like this: "What, mom, when is it anyway? Sunday night, come on, the kids have to go to school the next morning! No way!"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well the stats don't lie. Where is that chart that showed peaks on Sunday?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    We should also pay attention to what the Memorial attendance is doing in individual countries, such as in places like Zambia. They get ridiculously high attendances, like half a million, in recent years for that one country alone. If that was a temporary phenomenon and attendance dropped in that one country it would affect the overall Memorial figure, and would actually be misleading in terms of giving a picture of what's going on in the rest of the world.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Do we know for sure if this is the peak number or avg number? It's probably peak since they like to tout the peak numbers, but it would be nice to get confirmation.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Peak number is usually what they tease release ahead of time.

Plus if it was the average figure that would be the biggest increase for decades. Not likely.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I played with the numbers and this is what I roughly came up with. It is just my crude interpretation of the numbers but still seems significant. If anyone is a statistician and can put a more correct interpretation on the numbers, I would appreciate it.:

1990-2015 Growth of peak Publishers 3,941,285

1990-2015 Baptised 7,270,008

1990-2015 Crude death figures 1,598,795 (Mirroring international statistics)

1990-2015 Disfellowshipped (never to return) or left the organization 1,729,978 or 21% of current 2015 statistics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit