MY CONSULTING TRIP TO BETHEL (starting over) PART 6

by seven006 66 Replies latest jw friends

• dobby
    dobby

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. So happy that you were able to make such positive changes in your life.

I have been looking forward to each post, will there be a Part 7? Sorry - I just had to ask.

• Panda
    Panda

Dave , I absolutely HATE flower patterns and ruffles. Yuck Yuck Yuck

I remember so many times sisters telling me to soften up, that black wasn't a color...and then that cobalt blue wasn't a decorating color. Yellow walls or blue walls maybe too bright...and flowers are nice boy I wanted to kick someone. Oh and when I did buy a flower print my friends said it was obscene. Yeah an obscene flower. God I hate that religion.

Panda of the loving-caring class

Almost forgot to tell you that Tyrone Power was in the old original of the Razor's Edge... it was in black and white and maybe alittle more dramatic. But the scenary in the new one is better.

• happyout
    happyout

Ok, I have to jump on the "you need to write a book" bandwagon. So many times when I have spoken to people who've never been affifiliated with this religion, they just don't understand how out of touch with reality the members are.

When I first got out (faded), I was exactly the opposite. I thought everyone had bad intentions, when I dated, I always met the guy at the restaurant, he could never come pick me up. I also wouldn't leave a drink at the table, because of course most guys drugged girls drinks. It's no wonder so many times I didn't have second dates!

Thanks so much for sharing, and of course there will be a part 7. We need to catch up til the present time, right?

Happyout

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Wow! Funny and deep at the same time. I'd read a book on art supplies if you are writing it. (I'd rather read a book on art though.)

I could relate to all of it too -- except the part about being successful and having women come up to me. My level of success is better reflected by the fact that I studiously avoided valet parking for at least a full decade after leaving that org.

Gamaliel

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Excellent experience! Thank you for Posting it Dave. I love Korin's unexpected visit. Living well is definately the best revenge :)

Your story is very encouraging to the situation I'm in right now. Things get better once you leave a controlled life.

• seven006
    seven006

Thank you to everyone who has liked this part of the story, I appreciate your comments. Now I'll try to respond to a few specific comments.

Julie,

Do you really want me to do that? Remember you and Alan at the beach house and the bottle of that damn German booze I can't pronounce let alone spell? I will tell everyone about that if you like but I don't think you want everyone knowing how much of a sexy pagan god Alan is. How will they ever be able to take him serious again?

drwtsn32,
    One thing I found out through the years is people who are attracted to you because of what you drive or what you do for work usually can only see the stuff you have instead of the person you are. Back then I guess I felt I needed all the stuff because I didn't have a clue who I was yet. All the stuff is gone now, but I'm closer to figuring out who I am. Once I know that, then maybe I can start to let others see it. Truly knowing yourself is not a concept I, or any of us here on this board were taught to try and figure out as we grew up. It was more important to try and understand who you were told to be than who you really were.

Aztec,

Michigan is not the hot bed of art and fashion. But, I think the Midwest has some of the nicest people in the country. Some of my best commercial illustration clients are from that area. As far as people go, they beat the pants off the clients I have in LA. Being a little behind the times is not a bad thing, it just means you don't feel the need be a slave of passing fads. Nagel was a damn good artist and his art in my opinion, is of significant historical value. He did art that a person could actually understand what it was and it was done to perfection. Id take a Nagel over a Mark Kostabi any day.

Lady Lee,

The problem I have has more to do with more than just my eyes. I have a weird brain.

DFWnonJW,

Dancing to me is just one of those things women force men to do to make them look stupid and show a woman they will completely make an ass of themselves just to get laid. I think it's funny and ironic that the best male dancers are gay. I do the dishes instead of dancing.

Redhorse Woman,

Sara was just the first girlfriend I had out of many over the next few years. She did the most to teach me how clueless I was and took the controlling head of the house hold concept I was raised with and rolled it up and shoved it up my butt. She is the only lady I ever dated who still remains a good friend of mine. She reminds me of how powerless I am around her when I go into get my hair cut. I tell her I just want a bit of a trim and she cuts it any way she damn well pleases. Right now I'm sitting here typing this and my god damned ears are freezing.

blackout,

I think the only time you get completely deprogrammed is the day they turn the machine off. It's more than just a time in our life, it's a part of it. As long as we have a memory it is with us. The trick is to put it in it's place and deal with it the best we can.

Odrade,

Yep GD was a trip wasn't he? I think it was partly my fault for blowing his fingers off. He started to really change after that. It's amazing how a near death experience changes people. The man was a perfect example of a JW robot.

If you can't find the movie, let me know. I have a personal copy.

I need to head out and see a client. I will finish my responses when I get back.

Dave

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i've been eagerly poring over all 6 installments, and have enjoyed every last bit. i think it takes a lot of courage to post your story publicly. thank you.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Great series. Thanks for putting all of this down for us.

I feel like I am at an apostate assembly, listening to the upbuilding experiences.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

006,Thanks for that long walk with you,its been a long time since I had a walk that has been very therapeutic for me. We started out walking slow and easy,then we picked up the pace,it turned into a slow jog that moved ever so quickly into the final turn right out of the borg into FREEDOM!

I know that there was much pain for you throughout this walk,I hope that this walk has been therapeutic for you too,and that your future will be filled happiness.

Blueblades

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Thanks for sharing Dave, what a wild and crazy story. I have edited it a bit for grammar (let me know if I lost anything or edited it incorrectly) and it is now up at:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/dave.htm

or if you want to start at part 6 it is:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/dave.htm#part6

If you guys liked this and haven't read "Visions of Glory" by the late great Barbara G. Harrison, check it out free onlnie at:

http://www.exjws.net/vg.htm

She's a gas! About Bethel as well, since she lived there for awhile.

love to all,

Randy Watters

http://www.randytv.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit