Witnesses - Ever Wondered Why You're So Tired After Assemblies/Meetings?

by The Searcher 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

The last Circuit Assembly I attended was at Shea Stadium, right next to LaGuardia Airport, so those planes going overhead every few minutes was enough to wake you up. Not a good place to try to catch a nap.

• blondie
    blondie

We could never afford 8 day assemblies in money or time.

1963 took 2 days off for Disney and Marineworld (sessions were from 1 to 9 pm with morning field service)

1969 Friday thru Sun for me, baptism on Friday, and only Sunday and Saturday for mom and siblings

1955 Only baptism day for mom and 2 kids under 4

By 1966 we were going to a roofed facility with air conditioning and padded seats with parking. For a couple of years it was back to the ball parks but then back to AC and padded seats as more and more facilities were built that way.

As to boring talks, jws looked forward to "new" light at the DA, then DC, now RC. Only delivered by anointed male jws on the expanded GB, not board of directors. They tended to go off script more and put in personal speculations like Fred Franz. But then Freddy tended to go way over time especially at the end and topped it off with a long prayer. My family left early to beat the traffic crowd. Not too theocratic but that has been a trend at jw conventions for years. My brothers and I would draw theocratic pictures (no BS book then) and play boggle with the words in the publications.

Afterwards we would go out to eat with our jw relatives and pick apart the talks, speech flaws of the speakers and guess what the next talks would be about by the titles. They were pretty good at guessing....years of hearing the same things.

• fulano
    fulano
    It's the demons that are at the meetings and assemblies.
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    Assemblies & conventions are definitely tiring, as evidenced by the super long queues of weary, worn-out bro's & sis's queueing up at Starbucks (or other coffee outlets) during the lunch break. So much for the assembly or convention being refreshing or invigorating!
  • blondie
    blondie

The WTS believes the angels are there supposedly protecting, let alone the holy spirit....

*** it-1 pp. 107-108 Angel ***

No longer do these mighty angelic ones appear visibly in behalf of Jehovah’s servants on earth, as when they delivered the apostles from prison; nevertheless, God’s servants are assured of the ever-present, invisible protecting armies, as real as those that surrounded the prophet Elisha and his servant. “He will give his own angels a command concerning you, to guard you in all your ways.” Yes, “the angel of Jehovah is camping all around those fearing him, and he rescues them.”—Ps 91:11; 34:7; Ac 5:19; 2Ki 6:15-17.

(Psalm 91:11) 11 For he will give his own angels a command concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.

*** w10 1/15 p. 5 par. 9 Why Dedicate Yourself to Jehovah? ***

Jehovah gave them the guidance of the Law, the encouragement of the prophets, and the protection of the angels. A psalmist wrote: “He is telling his word to Jacob, his regulations and his judicial decisions to Israel. He has not done that way to any other nation.” (Ps. 147:19, 20; read Psalm 34:7, 19; 48:14.) As Jehovah cared for the nation that belonged to him in the past, so he will care for those who dedicate themselves to him today.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w10 1/15 p. 5 par. 9 Why Dedicate Yourself to Jehovah? ***

Jehovah gave them the guidance of the Law, the encouragement of the prophets, and the protection of the angels. A psalmist wrote: “He is telling his word to Jacob, his regulations and his judicial decisions to Israel. He has not done that way to any other nation.” (Ps. 147:19, 20; read Psalm 34:7, 19; 48:14.) As Jehovah cared for the nation that belonged to him in the past, so he will care for those who dedicate themselves to him today.

The WTS believes that the angels are there invisibly cashing away any demons, so jws believe that. But what about the jw demons?

• tiki
    tiki
    Don't forget those stadium bathrooms...the long lines...the stench...can't even imagine the germs....kids nowadays have it made in theater seats in air conditioned assembly halls....
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    Assemblies & conventions are definitely tiring, as evidenced by the super long queues of weary, worn-out bro's & sis's queueing up at Starbucks (or other coffee outlets) during the lunch break. So much for the assembly or convention being refreshing or invigorating!
  • Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    Sorry @Secret Slave, my not-fat fingers bumped the "dislike," I was trying to "like"!
  • Divergent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit