born again Christians

by ymrah 212 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bebu
    bebu
    ...once one has acceptance in Christ, one has "Christian Liberty". It doesn't mean doing literally anything, for everyone strives to be a good citizen, but it does free one from condemnation.

We all look for acceptance outside ourselves, at some point. If we have acceptance from a source that we care about, little else matters. We can move on from that foundation.

Little Toe,

I really appreciate your (and Andi's) 'sporadic thoughts'. They reflect my experience also.

bebu

• Dansk
    Dansk

Little Toe,

You earlier quoted Milton:

"The mind is its own place, and of itself
    Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven".

He also wrote: "The greatest burden in the world is superstition."

In all sincerity I have read and heard nothing from BAs, both here and off-list, that the above quote couldn't be applied to.

Dansk

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dansk:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=superstition

1. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.
      1. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
      2. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.
      3. Idolatry.

I agree with the quote, but I protest your application of it.
      I'm afraid that you are arguing against the common, albeit subjective, experience of many, many people.

Sincerely - I don't live in fear, I don't believe in chance, and I continue to seek scientific explanations for all that has come into my experience. There will always be another unexplained mystery for man to grapple with, another hill to climb. It keeps man driving forward.
      However, we all have things that we don't understand, and hence take for granted until we can give them the appropriate attention. Don't get me started on microwave cookers!!!

I would just suggest to you that there are laws at work, in the lives of people on this planet, that need an explanation. Each chooses a path which helps them come to terms (even if they can't comprehend it) with the things that happen in life.
      I don't see a spiritually inclined person's answer as being any more of a crutch than the atheist's "science will eventually work it out", one.
      Bear in mind that it has been Christians, very often, who pioneered many of the sciences.
      Meanwhile (while bearing that in mind) please also recall that it was religion, not the Christians, who hampered progress.

Can you see, yet again, that I'm making a broad distinction between the term Christian (born again) and Christianity (religion)?
      I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge, especially about the sciences. That isn't hampered by my belief in an intelligent (and sometimes humourous) design to the universe. I despise religion for religion's own sake.

How then, you may ask, can I go to a religious service?
      Simply that I find that it fills one of many desires to express my spirituality. I can sing my heart out, about my creator, without having too many heads turn (try that in Manchester High Street). I can meet likeminded (on some subjects) people, and discuss and reason on something that captivates my interest.
      It's kind of like coming here, for a discussion about ex-JW topics, as compared to grabbing a stranger on the street.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to meeting you, in three weeks time - hehehe

2. SpannerintheWorks
      SpannerintheWorks

LittleToe,

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to meeting you, in three weeks time - hehehe

You will be pleased to hear that I was due to attend the 'fest, but it coincides with our holiday to the Med, but who knows, I may cancel it

at the last minute!

Oh well, only ten weeks till the barbie!

Spanner

3. Dansk
      Dansk

Hi Toe (did you get my off-list e-mail? If so, you haven't answered it you arrogant ass )

I would just suggest to you that there are laws at work, in the lives of people on this planet, that need an explanation.

YO!, Now THAT'S something I totally agree with you on!

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me have your opinion on this matter, viz mankind is said to be made in God's image. OK, so if I see someone attacking you in the street I'm going to want to join in and help you! Now, one could say I would be acting in such a manner because God's loving kindness is inside of me; that it's in everyone, really, because we are made in his image.

If this is true, then why did God look down as 6,000,000 Jews were exterminated - including little children holding their mother's hands as they went to the gas chamber? Believe me, this is a question I've wrestled with for decades, even as a Dub. You see, if it's in MY image to want to help the innocent, then why didn't God, who's loving kindess is FAR GREATER than mine, step in and immediately stop the death of such innocents? I am seriously perplexed over such matters as this.

Dansk

4. Sirona
      Sirona

Hey LT,

Fest menage a tois

Careful what you wish for! LOL!

I'm actually really shy when it comes to stuff like that so no 3some's for me...

Definately looking forward to seeing you all, assuming its an open invite that is....

Sirona

5. LittleToe
      LittleToe

Spanner:
      Are you a Brit??
      Darn - I'm sorry you're missing the Fest, but I look forward to meeting you at Eman's!!!
      I'm sure we'll get a good flame war going over a pint at Eman's local. It's a lovely traditional pub.

Dansk:
      There ya go again, asking questions that I don't have an answer for.
      The best informed minds of the world have been working on that one for millenia.
      I have a few scatterbrain thoughts on the subject, but DEFINITELY not something I wish to share publically!
      However you quote me out of context. I was refering to spiritual experience.

Sirona:
      You mean we were supposed to wait for an invite???
      Oops!!!

6. Hamas
      Hamas

Wow ymrah,

You're kicking ass with this post.

7. SpannerintheWorks
      SpannerintheWorks

Hi LT!

Spanner:
      Are you a Brit??
      Darn - I'm sorry you're missing the Fest, but I look forward to meeting you at Eman's!!!
      I'm sure we'll get a good flame war going over a pint at Eman's local. It's a lovely traditional pub.

Yes, I live in the SW of England. However, I was born in your ( our ) native country! Ironical, isn't it! There we were, having it out with each

other, and we're probably related! ( Hi, cuz! )

Spanner

8. SpannerintheWorks
      SpannerintheWorks

Hamas,

Wow ymrah,

You're kicking ass with this post.

LOL!

Spanner

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit