born again Christians

by ymrah 212 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dansk
    Dansk

Little Toe,

Yes, I'll be at the bash! See you there!

Dansk

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Little Toe: As I said in my post, that has been MY experience. I'm glad you found a church that does not dwell on giving. It sounds like a good church and you are very fortunate to find it.

I once attended a Born Again Charasmatic church where the pastor, right in the middle of the sermon said that God was telling him it was time for a love offering. Collection baskets were actually placed before the podium, the band played one of their church songs and people one by one filed up and dropped their offerings in the basket.

THEN, get this, the pastor then concluded his sermon stating that those who didn't give when the Lord called were certainly not christians and (he ACTUALLY said this), was NOT born again. And, this was not just an isolated instance.

So, again, from MY experience, it does have to do with being born again.

Also, didn't Jesus just have two points about how to be born again? Now, forgive me, it has been quite a while. But didn't someone ask Jesus "What must I do to be Born Again?" (or saved in some translations?) What was Jesus' answer?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So we glean from this:

But didn't someone ask Jesus "What must I do to be Born Again?" (or saved in some translations?) What was Jesus' answer?

that all Christians are "born again".

It seems from this vantage point downunder that the term "born again" has come to mean something different in the USA. It seems that it refers to some kind of fundamentalist, charismatic movement. This is not true in some other parts of the world. For example, in countries that have a strong evangelical approach, they would see being born again as something quite natural to say, but it's not mentioned much. I guess because it's just a term that's been popularised in some parts of the earth.

Cheers, Ozzie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I concur with Ozzie.

IMHO All Christians are born again, and only those who are born again are Christians. There are many who are trying to act like him (but never succeeding in copying a "perfect" example), and who take that title, but does that truly make them what they claim to be?

It's about "grace", not "works" (Ephesians 2). John 3 is the conversation with Nicodemas, where the necessity of being born again is discussed.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hi, Littletoe. So if you are not "born again", then you can't be a Christian, and vice-versa?

And if one is not a Christian, then one will not be saved?

From what?

Spanner

• Hamas
    Hamas

Who knows wtf to believe anymore.

Jw's say it , born againers say it , mormons say it , plymouth brethern say it etc

ITS ALL A MYSTERY !

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Spanner:
    I never discussed salvation, only being "born again", and that in a completely Christian context.
    I also don't believe that I am the font of all knowledge, or that I am entirely right. I'm just a traveller on the road. What I do works for me... ...and I continue to evolve.

I'm happy to discuss spirituality in many contexts and frameworks. Just ask anyone who's talked to me in person, for the proof of that...

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hey, Toe, do you work from home, too?! I can hardly get anything done these days as I'm always nipping onto the forum!

Dansk

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I've been born again. I do not consider it a religion. But there are a couple things I think are important for some of you to understand.

1. Being "born again" is a way of life like Little Toe mentioned. It is not a life with an air of superiority, but truly a life of humility and a STRONG realization that we as individuals are meant to serve one another. Not "serve" in the JW terms of being subserviant and weak, but "serve" in a manner of doing everything to make others lives better. In the same way Jesus' life was lived. He did nothing BUT serve those around him. He exhausted himself so many time working to make others lives more vibrant and meaningful. That is what the true Christian attempts to do.
    2. Money is a huge deterrent to why some people do not get involved in religion. My suggestion is IF all you've seen is the commercial side of religion to find yourself a different church. When we shop for a car or an outfit, do we give up after hitting one car lot or one store? I doubt most of you give up that soon. You keep looking for what you want because you KNOW what you want. It's just a matter of finding the right place, right??? Why do so many give up after finding ONE church that doesn't live by the Biblical principles? When I was church shopping, I did a lot of research and visiting different churches before I found what I was looking for. But when I found it was such a HUGE BLESSING! I had never experienced anything like it before! Yes, the plate is passed around. But people are NEVER strong armed into tithing or contributing financially. It is asked IF you do, that you do it from the heart - not out of obedience to some guy from a pulpit, but because you WANT to. Which to me is the essence of Christian servitude - serving from the heart like Jesus did.

This is my experience and mine only. But I urge those of you who are hungry for worship in your life to NOT GIVE UP. There is a church family out there somewhere that you can connect with. It's just a matter of finding it. When you do find it, you will not regret it.

Andi

• borgfree
    borgfree

I consider myself a born again Christian. To me, salvation depends on one thing, accepting the free gift from our Lord and giving our lives to Him. All other matters are not salvation issues.

I am like Little Toe on the hell fire subject, I do not know whether it is literal or not, but I do believe that whatever it is, it is an eternal separation from God, and that cannot be good.

I think that church attendance is not a salvation issue. As the bible says, the purpose is to build one another up, to do fine works, and to encourage each other. So, church attendance is for our benefit.

If I choose to attend a church then I want to contribute to the expenses of the church, building expenses, ministry expenses, charities, etc., etc. If I choose not to contribute, that is my business.

There is much freedom in being a Christian. I will never let any group or individual enslave me again, with the exception of our Lord of course. My salvation and my worship is between my Lord and me, everything else is extra.

Borgfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit