A few in military refuse to fight 'wrong war'

by Trauma_Hound 128 Replies latest members politics

• rem
    rem

ThiChi,

Isn't that the cool thing about this board? Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. In the end, though, we're all cool!

rem

• heathen
    heathen

I am not the only one who came to this conclusion . This is something that others have concluded about the US military.They had this problem of desertion in the first gulf war .I can't speak for everybody but was here to see the anti war marches then as well as now .I'm sure there are plenty of people in the military for the training and job skills they claim will help them later in life .The major conscerne that I recall was just how willing they are to actually see combat.So far I think they are very content with the morale of the soldiers in general .No doubt it will depend on how long this thing drags out .IMO

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    I am not the only one who came to this conclusion . This is something that others have concluded about the US military.

The fact that an incorrect assertion isn't unique doesn't make it any less incorrect. There are a surprising number of people who contend that the earth is flat. Doesn't make the theory any more credible.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the military for the training and job skills they claim will help them later in life .

Well, yeah. That's part of the deal. I'd be willing to say that nearly everyone joins the military to gain skills they'll use later in life, whether in the armed forces of the civilian sector. The fact that they are trained for, and may very well see, combat is part and parcel with the deal. Your assertion that catchy advertising slogans impede the decision making capabilities of people of at least average judgement is ridiculous.

• Eric
    Eric
    Your opinion assumes that the vast majority of people are total, complete, absolute morons.

Actually it assumes that some of the volunteers in the American military are total ...so on and so on.

Did you get to see any of the interrogation of captured Pfc. Miller of Kansas, before Rumsfeld shut the networks up?

Voluntarily signed up or not, earning his handsome Pfc. salary or not, no one should have put him in harms way.

Eric

• heathen
    heathen

Sloagans are very powerful propaganda . In fact I bet they spend millions of dollars finding sloagans that are appealing to the young people . I do think alot of people are influenced by them . Only time will tell as to how many of these people signed up for the bennefits and how much deployment they are willing to cooperate with .

• LB
    LB
    so if bush would order to drop a nuke than the guys would still have to do what he says? i commend everyone who is willing to go through a lot of trouble because of his conscience.

Realist you can come up with a dozen different scenarios, but the fact remains that if you join the military you will fight as directed. Yes, nuclear weapons are a part of the arsenal. So if you are so stupid as to join the military and think that you get to pick your own battles, then you're a dumbass.

Maybe we should let the troops vote?

Or maybe, just maybe, a person joining the army needs to consider if they are willing to fight and if not then are they willing to go to jail.

Or the AntiBots can just bitch and whine about everything under the sun. Won't change a damn thing.

• Xena
    Xena
    Or maybe, just maybe, a person joining the army needs to consider if they are willing to fight and if not then are they willing to go to jail.

That's what it boils down to....you can chose not to fight but be willing to face the consequences of your decision. When they joined the military there was always the possibility that they might to fight in SOME war and there was always the possibility they might not agree with the reasons for that war....you weigh your options and you take your chances...and you face the consequences of those choices...one way or another.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

The following oath is taken by all personnel inducted into the armed forces of the United States, as found in the US Code, Section 502.

I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

oath ( ½ th) n., pl. oaths ( ½ thz, ½ ths). 1.a. A solemn, formal declaration or promise to fulfill a pledge, often calling on God or a sacred object as witness. b. The words or formula of such a declaration or promise. c. Something declared or promised. 2. An irreverent or blasphemous use of the name of God or something held sacred. 3. An imprecation; a curse.

Doesn’t seem to leave much room for changing your mind when the time comes to pay the piper.

• teejay
    teejay

Interesting.

My first thought was the same as LB's: renege on your commitment all you want, but pay us back what you owe us. I wonder how "conscientious" he'd be then.

OTOH, Simon has a point that I've pondered over for a long time. What should a service man/woman do when they are faced with an order they can't conscientiously follow? It's easy to say: "disobey," but what kind of unity would an army have if every soldier took it upon themselves to question every order? And if *that* happened, might as well disband the army. But then, officers at Nuremberg where penalized for NOT disobeying orders.

Obey or disobey? Listen to or ignore your conscience? It's a sticky question for a soldier.

• Simon
    Simon

The fact that the USA is encouraging Iraqi soldiers and commanders to surredner, disobay orders etc... surely proves that such things can be the right thing to do. If you deny this then are you saying that what the USA army is doing is wrong?

Given that it can be the right thing to do then why should "doing the right thing" only be something that Iraqi's can do?

Surely USA soldiers should be just as capable and brave enough to do the right thing too ... or are they in more of a totalitarian regime?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit