A few in military refuse to fight 'wrong war'

by Trauma_Hound 128 Replies latest members politics

• Xander
    Xander

What, so invading another nation unprovoked is okay by international law now?

This is news to me.

The US *IS* breaking international law right now - they are just claiming that they have a good reason to (the fact that said reason hasn't actually manifest itself yet, with troops only 50 miles from Baghdad, notwithstanding).

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

was it you or somebody else who said that the soldiers are sent without having a choice? how can you say that as an excuse in one thread and in the same moment condem this soldier?

LB,

so if bush would order to drop a nuke than the guys would still have to do what he says? i commend everyone who is willing to go through a lot of trouble because of his conscience.

• rem
    rem

Xander,

The US is not breaking international law. Iraq has broken the cease fire agreement. This is legally just a continuation of the first Gulf War.

rem

• rem
    rem

Realist,

There is a difference between being willing to fight an honest war and not being willing to fight an illegal one. I think a person who signs up for millitary service should expect to fight in any honest war no matter what his personal thoughts are about it. If not, then that person has no business signing up. Once it's outside the bounds of the laws of war, then he has a case to object.

Remember, this is a voluntary millitary - these people are not drafted to serve the millitary. They should have made their choice up front.

rem

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

The UN has not even made that ridiculous claim. The US and the thirty other Nations have not violated International law..... However, the Iraqi leader has.......

Haaah, the product of wishful thinking. Ifs and Buts were beer and nuts, we would have a party!

""What, so invading another nation unprovoked is okay by international law now?""

Have you been living on the moon for the last 12 years?

This desperate statement does not even merit a reply. However, read UN Resolution 1441 and call us in the morning!

• Realist
    Realist

rem,

i would say whether this is a legal and honest war or not is exactly the question at hand. 75% of people world wide and over 140 countries view it as an illegal war.

• rem
    rem
    75% of people world wide and over 140 countries view it as an illegal war.

I don't think the legalities of war should be judged by popular vote. The legality is judged by the cease fire agreements. I'd be interested to see how many in the world agree that Iraq has broken the cease fire agreement? Probably a very small percentage. The 'feelings' of the majority are not necessarily reality. Has the UN stated that this is an illegal war? Not even resolution 1441 was necessary for this action, legally, though it did make the case stronger.

rem

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Un Realist:

Please show were you got your numbers. To say that 75% of the world’s population (world wide? What does that mean???) beleaves .....is very suspect. What rubbish. In fact, in most pro western Nations, our leaders enjoy a majority.

Plus the issue is not how many support the war, but if the war is legal. And once more, you have nothing to back up this claim.....

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    IMO -- They have done every thing but mention summer camp . How about this -- The Navy ,it's not just a job it's an adventure. Army -- Be all you can be . Air force -- Aim high , and Marines -- A few good . People need to realize that when they admit themselves into the armed forces that they are being relied upon doing their job with out question.

People DO realize this. Your opinion assumes that the vast majority of people are total, complete, absolute morons. While there is a great deal of evidence that there are a lot of idiots out there, your "theory" only holds water if you are of the opinion that people can't think beyond a slogan. Get real. No one who joins the armed forces walks out of their initial service and training and says "Boy, this is all just hearts and flowers! I'm sure glad we weren't trained to expect death or unpleasantness. What a lovely, risk-free low cost alternative to paying my own tuition!"

You can keep saying the same thing over and over, it won't make it valid.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Sara Annie: Good, on topic points! I want you on my debating team! Rem too....in fact, many have done a great job to debunk this mess.................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit