Serena William is 'fighting for women'?!

by LoveUniHateExams 109 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

She's a terrible role model - promoting aggression and threatening behavior and then claiming to be victimized when it doesn't work.

Hopefully she goes downhill quickly and disappears.

• MightyV8
    MightyV8

The writing is on the wall

Her days are numbered.

(Where have I heard this stuff before)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hopefully she goes downhill quickly and disappears.

Couldn't agree more .

What a way to be remembered in professional sports ?

There is video out now that shows her coach giving hand gestures during the match so what really occurred is that she simply got caught unexpectedly and it unnerved her.

The once supposedly honored and admired tennis player got caught red handed in doing something that she knew was illegal.

• minimus
    minimus

She is being racially profiled by that sexist man. Poor woman!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Since we are talking has been tennis players weighing in here is another one:

https://nyti.ms/2MYZHXw

I like Martina Navratilova’s take.. shes much more balanced than billy king. Serenas behavior is indefensible.

• Moster
    Moster

Thanks Morpheus. Martina said exactly what I was thinking as I watched the drama unfold - again. Fix the differences in punishments - don't expect 2 wrongs to make a right and then get mad when they don't.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    In 2009 (one of the events i referenced before) Serena threatened to shove a "F**** ball" down the "F***** throat" of a small female line judge during the US Open.

Yes, that was against Clijsters in a semi-final. The line judge called Serena for a foot-fault.

Serena’s behaviour in losing the final the following year to Sam Stosur was pretty poor, as well. Serena doesn’t lose often, but when she does...

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

This is my take:

1. Warning for coaching

Every player knows a player is not supposed to get coaching while playing. That even applies in local club competition. It is cheating. It may be hard to catch or prove (eg see the controversy over Andy Murray’s loss to Verdasco), but the rule itself is unambiguous. The only exceptions are team events such as Davis Cup.

In any event, Serena only got a “code violation” warning, which normally means nothing.

2. Smashing racquet and 3. Abusing umpire

The next two events are remarkably similar to what McEnroe did in his infamous match against Pernfors back in about 1990 (which I saw live).

In short, McEnroe had already received a “code violation”. The match is tight, and he misses a point. He bounces his racquet hard on the ground. You can hear the crack. A point violation is given, straight away. McEnroe calls the referee, and tries to argue that the racquet is not broken, and he plans to continue playing with it. He loses the argument. As the referee walks off, McEnroe apparently yells an obcenity. (It is hard to pick up on the tv replay, but apparently he did.) The referee straight away u-turns. Third violation. Under the rules at that time, a third violation was a forfeit, not just a game penalty, and hence McEnroe was thrown out.

The reason I set all that out is to show that it is simply untrue that Serena was treated any worse than a male player would have been.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good comments about Johnny Mac, Shepherdless.

And who can forget Jeff Tarango, another spoilt brat ...

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/06/18/top-15-tennis-player-outbursts/slide/jeff-tarano-1995/

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

This cartoon has caused a storm in Australia, the lefties heads are exploding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit