Serena William is 'fighting for women'?!

by LoveUniHateExams 109 Replies latest social current

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Calling out sexism is indicative to her own intellectual dishonesty toward over shadow what really transpired .

Perhaps now her stupid coach wouldn't be giving hand gestures when she plays in a tournament ?

• minimus
    minimus

Such boorish behavior should never be tolerated. Seems like she’s a bit crazy sometimes. Maybe she needs a good shrink

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Seems like the International Tennis Federation has some more other things to say about Serena's performance at the US Open.....

Serena Williams was fined a total of $17,000 for three code violations during her loss to Naomi Osaka in the U.S. Open final.

READ MORE: Osaka beats Williams in chaotic upset at US Open

On Sunday, a day after the match, the tournament referee’s office docked Williams $10,000 for “verbal abuse” of chair umpire Carlos Ramos, $4,000 for being warned for coaching and $3,000 for breaking her racket.

• Chook
    Chook

Praise be to god for our fine black sister. She nearly qualifies as an elder with that temper.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Since Serena usually thanks Jehovah when she wins, I would expect that Jah was punishing her for something.

....... ie. wrapping the American flag around her, posing nude for magazines, premarital sex, barely attending any meetings ...etc. the list could be a long one.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think it’s clear that Serena Williams broke the rules and the penalties are justified from that point of view. The other issue is the claim that men are not penalised when they break the same rules because umpires show discretion when applying the rules, and in practice apply them to men and women differently. If that claim is true then it’s worth trying to fix. Serena Williams complicates the issue because she behaves discourteously and self-centredly. But the point at issue should really be evaluated on the facts themselves: whether the rules are being applied differently to men and women.

For example it’s illegal to drive over 30mph in town and anyone caught over that speed is breaking the law that is clear. At the same time, if police made a habit of charging women driving over 30mph with speeding, but not men driving over 30mph, we would say there is a problem with that. Not because people breaking the law shouldn’t be charged, but because laws should be applied fairly.

• cofty
    cofty

Her disrespect for her opponent was a disgrace. Arrogant, entitled drama-queen.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

It must take a whompin' lot of work to get ready for those games, i do sympathize with her feelings of immense injustice. But jmo, if i was her, with a well to do husband and (i assume) plenty of do-re-mi from her successful life, i'd be happy to leave it behind and take care of baby.

• cofty
    cofty
    i do sympathize with her feelings of immense injustice.

Except there was no injustice. She had a tantrum when she was held to the same rules as everybody else.

She was not as good as Osaka and needed to blame somebody - anybody.

• Simon
    Simon
    The claim was that men are not punished for the same offence because they are viewed as being “passionate about the game”, whereas a woman is punished for the same offence because she is “throwing a hissy fit”. I don’t know if that claim is true or not. She would need to point to credible examples where men are not punished for the same offence.

There's a big difference between what McEnroe used to do which was effectively claiming that the umpire had made a mistake and made the wrong call and what Williams has done which is to accuse the umpire of intentionally trying to cheat her. And whether you smashed your racket into the ground is not open for any debate.

She is aggressive to the point of threatening officials which is not acceptable.

Whether men or women are treated differently is immaterial - all that matters is that all women are treated the same because they are playing a separate sport. Women and men are judged differently as part of the game because women only play 3 sets max whereas men play 5. People should stop seeing inequality where none really exists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit