Serena William is 'fighting for women'?!

by LoveUniHateExams 109 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So Serena Williams lost the US Open final 6-2, 6-4 to Naomi Osaka, her Japanese-American opponent.

Williams received three code violations from the umpire, Carlos Ramos:

1. a warning for illegal coaching (subsequently admitted by Williams's coach)

2. a point penalty for smashing her racquet

3. a game penalty for verbally abusing the umpire.

I haven't seen the match but I'm guessing that 20-year-old Osaka just played better than 35-year-old Williams on the day. The punishments for the three code violations were correct, even though Williams has somehow managed to turn the issue into one of sexism. She said that the umpire wouldn't have punished a male player in the same way, i.e. Williams (in her mind) is being treated with undue harshness because she's a woman.

Yeah, Serena Williams smashed the shit out of her racquet in the fight against The Patriarchy. You go girl! XD

The one flaw in her belief is that a woman (Osaka) benefitted from Carlos's alleged 'sexism'.

Serena maintained her views in a post-match interview but maybe she'll change her mind after she's properly cooled down and processed her defeat, who knows?

• waton
    waton

at least she cant claim it was racial discrimination.

jws with a persecution complex.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Hmmm....Is she going to thank Jehovah for loosing?

Isaiah 45.7

I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster ( create evil:KJV); I, Yahweh, do all these things."

Ps. Verbally abusing an umpire? Was that over the racquet smashing episode? What a good witness! A violent tantrum on camera worldwide is A-OK but whatever you do DONT buy your kid a birthday present!

• Simon
    Simon

She was completely outplayed by Osaka but stole the moment from her so that Osaka was booed and felt the need to apologize for winning.

Serena now claims she was "fighting for women" even though she threw Osaka under the bus and ruined that moment for her. The only person she was fighting for was Serena.

Her coach has come out and admitted that he was coaching her (articles say he just gave her a thumbs-up, he clearly did much more if you watch it) and the umpire was following the rules of the game so she really should shut her mouth and apologize.

She's a bad loser and a bad competitor and claiming "sexism" (no doubt there will be some "racism" soon too) just undermines the whole thing but the feminists are too stupid to realize that so they are all rallying to her side because she said the words "woman" and "unfair", a magic incantation.

Strong women don't start crying and claiming it's unfair because they are a woman when the rules of the game are applied to them.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Very poor sportsmanship. Reminded me of the John McEnroe outbursts of years past.

• Simon
    Simon
    Reminded me of the John McEnroe outbursts of years past.

Yes, and I remember him being penalized points - one cost him the set and the match.

So unfair, now we know it was just because he was a man!

• sparky1
    sparky1

Call me 'jaded', but I think Serena is really 'fighting for' this.............

"Let all malicious bitterness and anger and wrath and screaming and abusive speech be taken away from you along with all badness." - Ephesians 4:31 NWT

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Si Strong women don't start crying and claiming it's unfair because they are a woman when the rules of the game are applied to them.

Hear, hear. I note she hasn't said anything further on the subject and I do Wonder if she's been "counseled" for it by family, even they may be aware it's hypocritical for a jw believing woman to cry "sexism'.

As an aside I don't think tennis players should be penalised for the actions of their coach, however.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@sparky1 - yes, plus she's fighting to cement her legacy.

Serena has 23 GS titles - the most of any woman in the Open Era, more than Steffi Graff.

I think someone has 24 titles but that wasn't completely in the Open Era.

IMO, Serena Williams is the greatest female tennis player of all time.

But she does deserve to get called out when she acts like a dick ...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

She claimed that men are not punished for the same offence. Whether she has a point or not all depends on that fact being true or not. So I would be interested to know what the facts are.

There was another case recently where a woman was penalised for removing her shirt whereas men who do the same are not penalised. In fact she had a sports bra on and turned away from the crowd, whereas men sometimes sit without shirt with no punishment. The punishment in that case was bizarre. So sexist rulings do occur in tennis. The question is whether Serena Williams is correct that men are not punished for the same offence. If that is true she may have a point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit