Joe Anderson's Letter

by silentlambs 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

I always wondered where Barbara's husband stood in this whole thing. We always heard of Mrs Anderson, but not of Mr Anderson.

It'd be a hard thing to do, to step down as elder, but I'm sure this will put less stress on Joe and the rest of the Anderson family.

May God give the Anderson family peace during this time.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Great letter from a fine brother that does a nice job bringing the issues
    into clear focus. Another "good" elder resigns, but there will be another
    "dumb" elder to replace him. In the end, only the dumb and mean ones
    will be left.

Lee

• JT
    JT

Fred says:

Thank God! One less elder.

######

now this is funny coming from a dude who is viewed as a "Flunky" in his congregation

you got to love it, a guy whose elder's have determined he "Ain't" qualified to carry a mike

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    I have always acknowledged that there are serious shortcomings with Watchtower and that Jehovah is going to judge his house accordingly. That doesn't mean that I share any of Ray Franz's issues.

Easy does it YK, nobody was suggesting that you do.

Incidentally, Ray Franz did not invent these 'issues', and he certainly does not propose anything dramatically different from many of his 'apostate' predecessors in his criticisms of the WTS.

It always amuses me when WTS apologists try to paint what has happened the past twenty years to the WTS as Ray Franz in one corner of the ring, and the WTS in the other. For example, I was for a period of time removed from serving as an elder for questioning the WTS view of the 'generation' doctrine before RF had ever published his book. I was foolish enough to hang around the WTS for a long time afterward hoping for reform, but I should have trusted the Biblical principle rather than my hopes; "That which is crooked cannot be made straight.

Best to you YK, enjoy your evening - HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 19 July 2002 20:45:19

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Excellent letter. It's so refreshing to see an elder with strength of convictions and a sincere heart.

Lew W

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

This is Sloboy's spouse responding to Brother Anderson's letter:

Dear Joe Anderson:

How heartening! Thank you! I am so sorry for the betrayal of Barbara by the Society. I am so glad you support her and see the inconsistencies in the so-called "policy on child molestation" of the organization. I have stood by friends assuring them that the elders would handle matters properly in molest cases only to have the wool ripped right from our 'lil lamby eyes! Policy? Please! It is more a case of who knows who, who's son or other relative did it, who's position needs to be protected, and how crazy or apostate can the victims and their supporters be made to look. I have known Jehovah's name for 40 plus years. I gave my youth, my heart, my assets and my stamina to the organization and to Jehovah. My God is still Jehovah, a God of love. I currently cannot have anything to do with an organization that does not "look out for widows and orphans in their tribulation." I have been quoting that scripture to elders, elders wives and many other friends for the last 5 years in the context of asking them to step up and do what is right and scriptural in behalf of molest victims and their families. The result? We were viewed as having a personality problem with the perpatrator and his family. I have been shunned and ostracized by the majority even though there has been no marking or disfellowshipping or disassociation of myself. It's a long and horrible story, as are many I have read here and heard first hand. I cannot do it justice in a short email and it drains my energy and spirit to rehash the betrayal by my brothers.

Again and finally, Thank you Joe and Barbara, the Pandelos, Erica, Heather and her Family, Bill Bowen and Sister Bowen. I pray so often for Jehovah to show me the way. I cannot imagine what would have happened to us if we had not found this website.

Much love. Sloboy's spouse.

• joenobody
    joenobody

YouKnow,

That is by far the most intelligent and insightful thing you have written. I applaud you for having a mind of your own. While we may not always agree on doctrine, I appreciate your very human thoughts that these things will not go unpunished.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey You Know,this is the second time you have totaly suprised me with your post.What an excellent post.There are some that would call you an apostate for what you have written.They would be wrong,that was the post of a decent person.Do you have anymore suprises in store for us?As you can see,posts like that are very well recieved,good for you!...OUTLAW

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

I'm so proud of all of you for your courage and sense of justice:

• Joe Anderson--I knew you would take a stand, may others also follow your lead
    • (((YouKnow)))--I knew you had it in you
    • Barbara Anderson--You are a wonderful example
    • SilentLambs---All of you are in my heart and my mind day and night
    • Those who have written letters to your Congress Persons and MP--Together we will make a difference

YoursChelbie

Edited by - YoursChelbie on 19 July 2002 23:9:46

Edited by - YoursChelbie on 19 July 2002 23:11:26

• Richie
    Richie

An excellent letter from Joe Anderson - I have printed your letter and will often refer to it, since you pointed out exactly the root causes of child molestation problems and how elders have always been in a quandary as to know exactly what proper course to follow except by always saying that it is Jehovah who invariably straightens out all matters eventually, even cases of rampant criminal activity within the Christian Congregation. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Almighty God, as they say...... Yes, Joe Anderson did the right thing (as well as his wife) by contacting the authorities, as the duty of each God fearing Christian is to report a heinous crime such as murder, grand theft, child abuse and the like to the proper authorities outside the congregation whereas afterwards one should also report the same to the elders as a matter of follow-up only, so that all matters can be solved beyond reproach and proper punishment can be meted out to the accused when all is proven in a court of law accordingly.

In case a witness has come to know that a murder has been committed, he or she is obliged to report this to the police (as well as the elders), for this is the correct thing to do. The authorities use forensic science and DNA to determine whether one is guilty or not. The same can be argued for child molestation, where oftentimes the same procedure would be followed (including DNA) to establish proof. The elders have no experience at all in forensics, psychology of law or DNA - the only thing they argue that there isn't a second witness, so it should be left up to God, otherwise one would go against "God's arrangement". Sounds too much like the Jewish class in Jesus' day where the Jews made their laws invalid because of excessive rules and regulations and not showing proper love and affection....

Thank you "You Know" for your comments. You are indeed impartial in your observations and show intelligent reasonings which is noteworthy and refreshing.

Richie

Edited by - Richie on 20 July 2002 0:15:41

Edited by - Richie on 21 July 2002 17:35:28

Edited by - Richie on 21 July 2002 18:5:8

Edited by - Richie on 21 July 2002 18:6:33

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit