What does 100 calories look like?

by jgnat 94 Replies latest social entertainment

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's a lot of talk these days about complex carbohydrates, and I do notice a different "burn" when I eat them. Quinoa is one of those carbs that gives me a better feeling I self-describe the effect of different foods as its "burn". As I've said before, sugar is like high-octane fuel; it does not feel good at all. Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest, giving me a long, slow burn that can last for hours. It is a good feelng.

Fats, sugar and salt dominate the mouth. They mask the subtler flavours. They are the SHAZZ, KAPOW.

Reduce these three, and at first foods may taste bland. My interest shifted to stronger flavored foods such as parsnip for the zip. Now the mouth awakens to new flavours.

And finally, I now pay attention to how foods feel in my gut and how it hits my bloodstream. That's the "burn". Proteins and complex carbohydrates have a much slower "burn" and I feel better.

I switched to a new breakfast that gave me a whole different morning experience. I had a slice of dark rye toast, buttered, a small slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese, a 1/4 cup orange juice, and a large cup of water. That meal stayed with me for hours.

• *lost*
    *lost*

jgnat

people also have to take inot account their 'breeding' for want of a better word.

A shire horse has different requirements to an active racehorse.

Some people can't touch white bread/or any bread cos of the bloat

x

edit to add; juicing - veg combinations. anyone here doing it ?

Detoxing the system.

animals also react to food/diet

show a dog real meat and watch him beg. the stools become hard and chalky too.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, like my little Jack Russell terrier co-worker who can't sit still if her life depended on it. She burns calories like they are going out of style, and eats like there's no tomorrow, either. She has other health problems that I wouldn't trade for.

I'm more like the goofy Newfie dog. Deliberate in my actions, I get the job done. Calmly, peacefully.

• *lost*
    *lost*

we have a new jack terrier pup. she 6 mths old now. yep. mental. and a

Pug, pug is my baby. she is the best thing ever (pog - pig/dog)

OMG food and smell.

but boy oh boy so much character, it's literally like having a child. lol

she is amazing

• jgnat
    jgnat

The happiest Jack Russell I ever saw had the run of the farm. She could mouse and run circles around the other farm dogs to her heart's content.

• *lost*
    *lost*

I love dogs. their character and antics.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Lost: thing is see - back in the day, we had a more basic natural balanced diet. Today in this world of 'money' and 'profits' when we dig deep into the differences in modern farming and food production compared to back in the day - we realise at some point, there was a shift.

I agree Lost. A hundred years ago heart disease was not common. What has happened in the last hundred years is a shift to more manufactured, processeed food , and the dominance of flour, sugar, salt, and bad fats, all because they are easier to store and cheap and people like the taste, so it is profitable to manfactue them. Once people start eating these food, their taste perceptions are altered and they come to prefer them, and real food tastes bad. I knew a lady that lived on Pringles, one of the worst things you can eat. It is high in salt, and so processed it has a burnt flavor, that has to covered up with artificial flavors. She dropped dead of a heart attack at 70. I have, over a period of years, switched to healthier food. It is very hard to completely change your eating habits, so don't set yourself up for failure, gradually introduce healthier options. The number one offender in my book is soda and other sugary drinks. Those are just empty calories, and sugar is extremely bad for you. I switched to ice tea, it is thirst quencing, cheap and avalable every where. . Even if you put a little sugar in it, it is not nearly as sugary as soda. experiment with herb teas and rdifferent flavors, add a little juice for variety. Just a little though, juice is high in sugar too. If you drink a lot of soda, that one change will make a huge difference in your health. My sin lost twenty pounds just by giving up soda.
  • jgnat
    jgnat

A hundred years ago heart disease was not common because heart disease is an old man's disease. Life was hard, brutish, and short. People died of bacterial infections, "consumption" (pneumonia, cancer, TB), smallpox, diptheria, cholera, diabetes, the list goes on. There is a story here of a man in this community who survived the 1918 flu epidemic. His parents died so he was adopted by a local family. Within the year the adoptive parents were dead too. I checked the demographics of this area from 1911, looking at the census records. There is a shocking deficit of young girls and women, all age groups. Women did not go to the hospital to have their babies; they went in to the bush. Sometimes the women did not come back.

Consider what the diet was like without access to refrigeration. Fat, salt, and sugar were used to preserve food.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I avoid juices because they compact all those calories in to a tiny package. It is too easy to overindulge. Here's the appropriate size for a portion of juiced fruit and vegetables:

Shot Glass

This is much better:

• *lost*
    *lost*

Lisa - yep, I'm not a soda pop person, or junk, crisps etc. A treat now and again, but not all the time, kids weren't brought up on it neither.

Crisps - lol, yep. Just hold one, take a lighter, and see watch that crsips burn, loaded with fat.

Pink slime - heard of that ? google it.

What really goes into chicken nuggets - google that too.

Good thing is the food sacres are making the consumers frightened and they are starting to take notice and educate themselves. I dunno what food regs are like over there but in europe, you couldn't get a banana if it was too bent, lol.

Horse meat in hamburgers.

Salmonella in eggs.

BSE in beef.

Contaminated pig products, pigs were fed contaminated feed, every supermarket had its shelves stripped of every pork/ham product, the shelves were actually bare. one day there was ham, the next it was gone. lol

foot and mouth

swine flu

bird flu

the latest virus to hit sheep and cattle, abortions and malformed young.

Britain has strict regs for how livestock are farmed and kept.

europe doesn't ( but they are now being fined cos they have had like 10 15 yrs to make the changes and they never. so uk was being flooded with cheap unregulated meat and it was crippling uk farmers on competive pricing ) i dont think USA does either.

Your cattle feed lots over there - ewh - shameful, we would never be allowed to keep animals like that. Corn fed (maize ) ??? not grass fed. google it.

massive pig production units - ewh. American company bought up huge farms in Poland, cheap, and did the old mass production thing there too, not good.

you are what you eat my dear.

People really have no idea about what is really going on with their food, what goes into it, where it comes from, how its raised.

oh and monsanto, chemicals, GMO crops.

jgnat - have to disagree there.

loads of old time farmers in Ireland that lived hard lives, lived well into old age. Irish immigrants into america, buiding the cities, same, unless the drink done them in, they like a drinky winky - a bit too much, lol. Same in uk, they built the country, all done by hand back then mind you, shovels and picks, no JCB machinery.

Full Irish breakfast - you heard of that over there ?

Slices of bacon, sausages, onions, eggs, tomatoes/beans bread, real butter, tea. We love our tea, lol.

Set the men up for their working day (they ate like horses, and worked like horses) good few years back, fried breakfast was condemned as ''not healthy'' lol. they ahve changed their mind on that one too, now it's good for you. the native always know best, the wisdom has been handed down generation to generation.

Women having babies in the bushes ? irish women had massive broods, seriuosly, 10, 11, 12, 13 yep, for real, the would pop them babies out in the house then get back to work. lol

Uk women the same.

Its what we call ''hardy''. Bred in.

lol. hope this is interesting for u guys.

x

edit to add; my dad should be dead, fell off a roof in his late 50's, got mangle, busted pelvis, busted shoulder, busted leg, busted mind, lol. thought he was going to die. they told him - you'll never walk again..... he said, 'watch me' he got more go strength and vigour than the young men. unreal. truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit