What does 100 calories look like?

by jgnat 94 Replies latest social entertainment

• jgnat
    jgnat

Cut all carbohydrates from your diet and you are heading for trouble. It can lead to a condition called Ketone acidosis, where ketones build up. This happens when the body breaks down stores of body fat for fuel. Your breath may smell fruity or like nail polish.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Hey Glander

I have been under a lot of personal stress. suffered depression in the way past very bad ( had a breakdown)

He took my bloods over a month ago. He said nothing to worry about, just slightly high, and it would only be a cause for worry if it got worse.

It's usually hereditary or poor diet. I hadn't been eating to good, so we think that's what the cause is ( diet ) can't see it being hereditary.

(then we all got struck with nasty virus on top, the past month been tired and lacking energy cos of it, gone now)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had extremely high cholesterol, I tried changing my diet with no effect. I resisted statins, but my doctors really gave me a hard time. I have heard that taking statins simply for high cholesterol is not yet proven to extend life expectancy. I have to see a cardiologist due to another heart issue, and he was sure I ha clogged arteries, did an echocardiogram, nada, I was fine. I had my cholesterol checked recently, it's fine now. My new doctor said she wouldn't have given me them anyway. So I am happy about that. The only difference since then is the gluten free diet and I was using coconut oil. I take fish oil, but I did back then also. I heard natural coconut oil was good for the heart, but I was only doing it for a month when I got the test, so if that is what helped, booyaa.

• *lost*
    *lost*

jgnat yep

That's why the atkins diet was so controversial.

It's all about balance isn't it.

• LV101
    LV101

"lost" -- interesting what Sister Anne says about all carbohydrate is stored as fat in the body --- for real? I've never heard or read that before. I do believe the unhealthy/excess carbos add to weight although I'm confused because I thought they all turned to sugar and some convert slower (healthy, complex carbs) than others.

I cannot follow those high protein diets. I know people who swear by them but I'm not ever trying again -- you didn't indicate the nutritionist was saying to follow high protein eating but just sayin.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What happens is if we eat more food than we need, insulin kicks in and converts the extra sugar to fat. In normal people. The food we do need is burned up for fuel by the body right away.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have done the Atkins, I actually lost a lot of weight, and I felt great. I had no issues with blood sugar fluctuations, the ketosis stops the hunger really well. They actually want to have you go into ketosis, especially at first, that is what causes you to burn body fat for fuel, as there is no carbs to burn. I ate a lot of salads and veggies and lean protien. It's just hard to stay on for the long haul, but personally I think most people would be better off on that than the typical American diet of french fries and ice cream, especially if they are overweight. There is a lot of nonsense that it is hard on your kidneys, but really, the amout of meat you eat is well within normal range, and it puts no special strain on the kidneys. You are allowed to eat unlimited meat, but the reality is protien like that is very satisfying, so you really don't eat all that much. I ate far more veggies than I ever did before, and that continued even after I stopped the diet, I learned to like them. As you meet your weight loss goal, you are supposed to gradually add in healthy carbs untill you find the right balance. That is the downside of it, it's really hard to find that balance, once you start adding carbs, you loose the appetite suppressing part of it, and many people struggle with that, they gain the weight right back. It just is hard to maintain. It does work quicker than other diets and that can be motivating, especially if you struggle getting started on a diet. But I would check with a doctor before you tried this or any diet.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Thing is see - back in the day, we had a more basic natural balanced diet. Today in this world of 'money' and 'profits' when we dig deep into the differences in modern farming and food production compared to back in the day - we realise at some point, there was a shift.

'' Good nutriton

Means eating foods each day that will give the necessary vitamins, minerals and other nutrients needed to keep the body strong.

All our lives we have been told to ''eat a blanced diet''

Very simply it means taking daily meals or snacks, including all or some, of the following

• Protein foods
    • Fruit and vegetables
    • Dairy foods
    • Bread and cereal group. ''

( of course there are exceptions to the rule, medical conditions etc, nutritional dis-orders, so thanfully we now have the understanding of food sciences, but as we are seeing they are very complex issues )

Have you heard of the ''supa - food groups '' ?

edit to add:

Modern lifestyle compared to back in the day.

what upsets the balance in modern day life is lack of physical activity / exercise / work. If you take in more than you expend - you start to store up excess. this excess energy gets converted to body fat. Inside the body and out.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

jgnat, my husband is borderline diabetic and the disease runs in his family, so we're trying to head the illness off at the pass by eating healthier. I don't usually like "health-food" type recipes, but this one is really good. It can become a meal by baking a potato, squashing the potato on a plate, and adding a little butter and/or sour cream to potato. Then top with some Quinoa Salad, which can be heated in the microwave. Delish!

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water, 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 2 limes (juiced), 2 teaspoons powdered taco mix (like Old El Paso), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 cup cooked corn, 15-oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained), 5 scallions, finely chopped. Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring quinoa and water to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes until quinoa has absorbed the water. Whisk olive oil, lime juice, taco mix, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes. Combine quinoa, corn, black beans, and scallions in bowl. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Makes 6 servings. Good hot or cold.

• *lost*
    *lost*

LV -

The intro in the booklet says.

'' For the past 20 years ''Sister Anna's Recipes'' have served a large population of everyday users.

This present edition ''Sister Anna's Cook Book'' for

1. Everyday Healthy Living

2. People with CoeliLiving healthily with HIV/AIDSac Disease or on a Gluten free Diet due to certain food allergies.

3. Immune compromise - HIV + and Hepatitis A,B, &C+

Have come about as a result of my interest in doing further research in relation to Diet/Nutrition and discovering that a healthy diet not only keeps one well, but also improves the well being of the chronically ill patient giving one a new lease of life. ''

It would also be a good booklet for persons suffering with depression. It's an easy read, simple but effective.

the recipes cover

Egg dishes, soups, fish dishes, meat dishes, pastries, jam and jelly making

Gluten free section.

Living Healthily with HIV/AIDS

Planning meals

General Nutrition Information.

It really is a great little book

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit