How exactly did Jesus fulfill the law NOT the prophecies.

by mP 229 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mP
    mP

Leaving:

Just my two cents... according to a number of commentators, the transfiguration was God's affirmation that Moses (representing the Law) and Elijah (representing the Prophets) would give way to Jesus when He said "Listen to him." Up until that point, God gave the Law for His people to obey, and he gave the Prophets to communicate to them His sayings. This was to be no more. From this point forward, they were to listen to Jesus.

Remember, too, the definition of "fulfill" can simply be "to bring to an end" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fulfill see 2b).

MP:

Arent they just making it up ? Elijah and Mohammad went to heaven according to the Bible and Koran. There were lots of prophets, saying listen to them doesnt automatically make that spokesman a prophet. Given Elijah went to heaven on a chariot, why didnt the law end with his ascension ? It didnt because the bible does not say that.

The NT can say whatever it wants but the idea of fulfilling the law is not present in the OT, which is why no one asserting tht here has been able to show a single scripture from Moses.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Can you tell us what Yom Kippur is then, MP?

Or what about Sin offerings?

While Jews believe that everyone is born "good", they DO believe in sin.

Judaism was off base already at the time of Christ. The Pharisees were Jews and taught many wrong things about the scriptures. Jesus corrected them constantly. They were wrong about their rules on Sabbath. They were wrong on Law justifying a person. These false ideas kept going, and the Jewish Christians had to be corrected majorly. Hebrews is a major example of their need for correction. They were going back to things that were to be left behind.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

So your saying that we must accept Pauls word, because Jesus never said it.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the point of this thread. I thought you were asking what the word "fulfill" meant in the context of Christian teaching and Mosaic Law. I guess your actual point was that Paul taught the fulfillment, not Jesus himself. Offhand I don't know how to refute that, maybe someone else will. I think I get your point a little better now, though.

As i have shown Jesus in love thy neighbour is quoting, he is not refutng it.

I never claimed he was refuting it, just expanding the definition of "neighbor" in that commandment. But let's not talk about that here, it seems to be off-topic if we're talking about Jesus fulfilling the Law.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

The NT can say whatever it wants but the idea of fulfilling the law is not present in the OT

Of course it doesn't! The Law was incomplete! Anyone that does not understand "Progressive Revelation" will not get this. The Jews are STILL looking for Messiah, and He has already come and gone. 2000 years ago! When one only has the OT to look at, everything is incomplete. They have a partial Revelation of God. The book of Revelation, rather than being a doomsday book with literal events, is a fulfillment of everything. Without a full understanding of the OT, understanding Revelation is impossible.

All parts of the OT are fulfilled in Jesus. Messiah is present in every part of the OT. Every law was pointing towards Messiah. The Law was for the forgiveness of transgression of the people. Jesus was to remove the transgression.

Isaiah 53:8 - He was taken from prison and from judgement and who shall declare his generation? For he was cutt off out of the land of the living; for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

No sin?

1John 2:2 - "And He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

Daniel 9:26 - "And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself..."

Here is a prophecy that is very apparent on JWN:

Isaiah 53:3 - "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not."

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

So, MP, are you saying that Jesus did NOT fufill prophecies about Him?

• mP
    mP

Christ:

Can you tell us what Yom Kippur is then, MP?

MP:

Thats a holy day, its not mentioned in the Torah. We have the same w/ Xmas, xians have it as a holy day but it doesnt appear in the BIble.

Of course if im wrong show me the scriptures.

ChristAlone:

Or what about Sin offerings?

MP:

You keep using the word sin, but it or anyting remotely similar never appears in the Torah. YOu are assuming way too much, step back and find a scripture.

ChristAlone:

While Jews believe that everyone is born "good", they DO believe in sin. We were discussing the law, im now asking for a scripture from Moses' law that backs your premise.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Because here are SOME of them:

SUBJECTOT ProphecyNT Fulfillment
    As the Son of GodPs 2:7Lu 1:32,35
    As the seed of the womanGe 3:15Ga 4:4
    As the seed of AbrahamGe 17:7 22:18Ga 3:16
    As the seed of IsaacGe 21:12Heb 11:17-19
    As the seed of DavidPs 132:11 Jer 23:5Ac 13:23 Ro 1:3
    His coming at a set timeGe 49:10 Da 9:24,25Lu 2:1
    His being born of a virginIsa 7:14Mt 1:22,23 Lu 2:7
    His being called ImmanuelIsa 7:14Mt 1:22,23
    His being born in Bethlehem of JudeaMic 5:2Mt 2:1 Lu 2:4-6
    Great persons coming to adore himPs 72:10Mt 2:1-11
    The slaying of the children of BethlehemJer 31:15Mt 2:16-18
    His being called out of EgyptHo 11:1Mt 2:15
    His being preceded by John the BaptistIsa 40:3 Mal 3:1Mt 3:1,3 Lu 1:17
    His being anointed with the SpiritPs 45:7 Isa 11:2 61:1Mt 3:16 Joh 3:34 Ac 10:38
    His being a Prophet like to MosesDe 18:15-18Ac 3:20-22
    His being a Priest after the order of MelchizedekPs 110:4Heb 5:5,6
    His entering on his public ministryIsa 61:1,2Lu 4:16-21,43
    His ministry commencing in GalileeIsa 9:1,2Mt 4:12-16,23
    His entering publicly into JerusalemZec 9:9Mt 21:1-5
    His coming into the templeHag 2:7,9 Mal 3:1Mt 21:12 Lu 2:27-32 Joh 2:13-16
    His povertyIsa 53:2Mr 6:3 Lu 9:58
    His meekness and want of ostentatiousIsa 42:2Mt 12:15,16,19
    His tenderness and compassionIsa 40:11 42:3Mt 12:15,20 Heb 4:15
    His being without guileIsa 53:91Pe 2:22
    His zealPs 69:9Joh 2:17
    His preaching by parablesPs 78:2Mt 13:34,35
    His working miraclesIsa 35:5,6Mt 11:4-6 Joh 11:47
    His bearing reproachPs 22:6 69:7,9,20Ro 15:3
    His being rejected by his brethrenPs 69:8 Isa 63:3Joh 1:11 7:3
    His being a stone of stumbling to the JewsIsa 8:14Ro 9:32 1Pe 2:8
    His being hated by the JewsPs 69:4 Isa 49:7Joh 15:24,25
    His being rejected by the Jewish rulersPs 118:22Mt 21:42 Joh 7:48
    That the Jews and Gentiles should combine against HimPs 2:1,2Lu 23:12 Ac 4:27
    His being betrayed by a friendPs 41:9 55:12-14Joh 13:18,21
    His disciples forsaking himZec 13:7Mt 26:31,56
    His being sold for thirty pieces silverZec 11:12Mt 26:15
    His price being given for the potter's fieldZec 11:13Mt 27:7
    The intensity of his sufferingsPs 22:14,15Lu 22:42,44
    His sufferings being for othersIsa 53:4-6,12 Da 9:26Mt 20:28
    His patience and silence under sufferingIsa 53:7Mt 26:63 27:12-14
    His being smitten on the cheekMic 5:1Mt 27:30
    His visage being marredIsa 52:14 53:3Joh 19:5
    His being spit on and scourgedIsa 50:6Mr 14:65 Joh 19:1
    His hands and feet being nailed to the crossPs 22:16Joh 19:18 20:25
    His being forsaken by GodPs 22:1Mt 27:46
    His being mockedPs 22:7,8Mt 27:39-44
    Gall and vinegar being given him to drinkPs 69:21Mt 27:34
    His garments being parted, and lots cast for his vesturePs 22:18Mt 27:35
    His being numbered with the transgressorsIsa 53:12Mr 15:28
    His intercession for His murderersIsa 53:12Lu 23:34
    His DeathIsa 53:12Mt 27:50
    That a bone of him should not be brokenEx 12:46 Ps 34:20Joh 19:33,36
    His being piercedZec 12:10Joh 19:34,37
    His being buried with the richIsa 53:9Mt 27:57-60
    His flesh not seeing corruptionPs 16:10Ac 2:31
    His resurrectionPs 16:10 Isa 26:19Lu 24:6,31,34
    His ascensionPs 68:18Lu 24:51 Ac 1:9
    His sitting on the right hand of GodPs 110:1Heb 1:3
    His exercising the priestly office in heavenZec 6:13Ro 8:34
    His being the chief corner-stone of the ChurchIsa 28:161Pe 2:6,7
    His being King in ZionPs 2:6Lu 1:32 Joh 18:33-37
    The conversion of the Gentiles to himIsa 11:10 42:1Mt 1:17,21 Joh 10:16 Ac 10:45,47
    His righteous governmentPs 45:6,7Joh 5:30 Re 19:11
    His universal dominionPs 72:8 Da 7:14Php 2:9,11
    The perpetuity of his kingdomIsa 9:7 Da 7:14Lu 1:32,33
  • mP
    mP

MP: So your saying that we must accept Pauls word, because Jesus never said it.

APOG: Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the point of this thread. I thought you were asking what the word "fulfill" meant in the context of Christian teaching and Mosaic Law. I guess your actual point was that Paul taught the fulfillment, not Jesus himself. Offhand I don't know how to refute that, maybe someone else will. I think I get your point a little better now, though.

MP:

Its hard to wonder how such a vital concept is never said by Jesus. Perhaps the simple answer is if he that was the main purpose of his life then he would have said it, but he didnt.

Sin and hell was invented by the Catholic church so they could sell indulgencies for money! There is no firey hell in the BIble, just like theres no sin in the law.

MP: As i have shown Jesus in love thy neighbour is quoting, he is not refutng it.

APOG:

I never claimed he was refuting it, just expanding the definition of "neighbor" in that commandment. But let's not talk about that here, it seems to be off-topic if we're talking about Jesus fulfilling the Law.

MP:

Being a commentator does not make you special. We are commentating on the law now, that doesnt make us the Messiah.

• tec
    tec

You keep using the word sin, but it or anyting remotely similar never appears in the Torah. YOu are assuming way too much, step back and find a scripture.

Are you saying that you do not believe that sin is mentioned in the OT, or the law?

Leviticus 4:2

Say to the Israelites: 'When anyone sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD's commands--

That is just one example, MP. There are others.

Peace,

tammy

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Yom Kippur IS in the Torah. I just assumed you were more of a Jewish expert with how you were talking.

It is known as the Day of Atonement. It is discussed in Leviticus 23:27 and decrees a prohibition of work and food. Yom Kippur are mentioned in three passages in the Torah:

Leviticus 16:1-34 - Gold told Moses that only Aaron can enter the sanctuary when God is present on the cover in a cloud. If Aaron enters at any other time, he will die. On the tenth day of the 7th month, God said that the people must not work in order to cleanse and atone for their sins. The Kohen will lead in the atonement of all the people.

Leviticus 23:26-32 - God tells Moses that the 10th day of the month is the day of atonement and will be holy. The people must give a fire offering to God and not work. God tells Moses that whoever DOES work will be killed. This is a day of total rest from the evening of the 9th day to the following evening.

Numbers 29:7-11 - The 10th day of the 7th month is a holy day and one must not work. They will give an elevation offering by sacrificing a young bull, a ram, and seven lambs who are a year old. They must also provide a SIN offering of a male goat.

So yes, Yom Kippur is in the Torah. Very clearly. And YES, they did believe in sin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit