Life Is On the Hairy Edge

by AlanF 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Julie & Alan:

Thanks for taking the time to give us some updates on Julie's condition. I've been thinking of you all a lot.

I'm concerned about her poor pain control, and having to get morphine injections every hour.

If the option of Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA) has not been offered to you, please see if you can get it for Julie. I would imagine she has IV lines already, so this would just be an additional line infusing.

What PCA is, is a special pump that is controlled by the patient with a dose of pain medication at the push of a button. In the hospital where I work, there is an Acute Pain Service with anaesthesiologists who are consulted by whatever service the patient is under; and a similar arrangement likely exists where Julie is hospitalized. With PCA, a medication pump is programmed to give the patient an appropriate dose (determined according to the patient's weight) of pain medication when she presses the button. There is a lock-out mechanism so that extra doses cannot be given until a specific time period has elapsed (our patient population usually has a 5-minute lock-out time), which prevents possible overdose. The patient should understand that she is not to press the button except for pain relief. The danger of becoming dependent or addicted when using narcotics appropriately for pain relief is minimal.

I would talk to her nurse and doctor and ask for a consultation about whether Julie would be a candidate for PCA. Good pain control is so important to the recovery process. It helps with getting the patient out of bed willingly sooner; mobilizing early (depending on her rib fractures and lacerations on her lung and liver) helps prevent blood clots from forming in the legs. Good pain control is also important psychologically; she is very likely going to have flashbacks about the accident and things that happened in the hospital, and poor pain control is a huge negative impact that could figure prominently in her memories.

Best wishes to all of you,
    Love, Scully

• waiting
    waiting

Scully,

You are one smart woman. I always learn when you post about medicine. And usually learn when you post about sex, too.

You made good points - and I hope Alan & Julie will look into your suggestions.

waiting

• one
    one

Emotionally impacted to learn about the accident, good to know she will be ok. I have lost children... this kind of news gets to me.

What impact will it have on your family? good and bad...
    let us know when you get the time.

I'm sure you and your family will get all the 'chips' back in place.

I have been driving since i was 16 and even now i get too happy behind the wheel sometimes. A lesson for us all.

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Sounds pretty bad! Hope she feels better soon!

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Sounds pretty bad! Hope she feels better soon!

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Scully
    Scully

waiting:

thanks for putting a smile on my face! you made my day!!

Love, Scully

• JanH
    JanH

Alan,

Terribly sorry to hear this news. Many years since I met your beuatiful daughter, but I do remember her well and this was really shocking and tragic news. Love & best wishes to all of you from me and Kirsten.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• AlanF
    AlanF

Julie here (too lazy to change Alan's ID and I'm on his computer).

Thanks, Scully, for the advice. I had wondered about a pump for her morphine, but tonight they're going to try moving her over to oral meds. They last longer than morphine and many patients do better with them. Plus, she'll need to be on oral meds to go home. So we'll see how that goes.

We found out today that her lung is more damaged than we originally thought. About half of it is badly bruised. So she has to stay in the hospital until it's doing better and she can maintain higher blood oxygen levels.

She had a nice afternoon. All of her friends came up to see her, PLUS the boy she has a crush on. He brought her flowers and asked her to the prom. She had the biggest smile on her face. Unfortunately, the prom is in only a few weeks; I don't know how she'll manage it, but her friends and I will probably go shopping and bring home a selection of dresses for her to pick from. She probably won't be able to stay there very long, and won't be able to dance, but I still think it's terrific the boy asked. It gives her incentive to get better.

The occupational therapist came in today to teach her how to do some simple things like put on her socks, tie her shoes, put on her binder (like a girl for the fractures in her back), get in and out of bed the correct way. He said that, all things considered, she's doing pretty good. She has a great deal of pain when she gets in and out of bed, but she's a trooper and hasn't complained once. You see it in her face, though. The poor kid.

So that's the latest news. I'm heading back up to the hospital. Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts.

Big Julie (as opposed to Little Julie)

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks for the updates Julie. SO sorry for all the troubles and suffering she had to go through. But i'm SO glad she's going to be all right.

All the best to you and Alan,
    Pat

• Angharad
    Angharad

Alan & Julie

(Only just spotted this thread)

So sorry to hear your news, I cant begin to imagine how scary it must have been for you.

Hope she gets better soon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit