Questions From Thinkers

by Perry 186 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• N.drew
    N.drew
    First establish the existence of SOMETHING,

The something that is well established imho is the consistant reactions that occur with every disturbance.

For instance I understand it to be true (but I might be wrong) that with every sexual contact with a child by an adult it produces in every child a feeling of forboding. Why are reactions so consistant in humans?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll bite. I don't know if this has been said before but these are my first reaction to three of the questions.

Q. How do you explain David's graphic portrayal of Jesus' death by crucifixion (Psalm 22) 1000 years before Christ lived?

A. I must assume you are speaking of this: "they pierce[e] my hands and my feet" Ps 22:15 The rest of the graphic portrayal could be describing many different forms of misery, or not be prophetic at all (David did have a deserved reason to lament). Even this one sentence fragment may or may not refer to crucifixion. We have young people these days that peirce all differnt parts of their body. The simplest explanation is that the writers of the gospels found instances to line up the life, death, and resurrection of Christ to bolster their argument that Jesus was indeed the Messiah. They were motivated, after all.

Q. How do you explain the thousands of people who have experienced heaven or hell and have come back to tell us about it?

A. http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Q. Why can't this brain even create a simple living twig?

A. A much smaller structure can create. A cell can duplicate itself, and stem cells any other part of the body. We get closer every day Here is fellow who has found a way to print a living kidney. http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html

• N.drew
    N.drew

SweetBabyCheezits funny you should say so. I hate using a pronoun for God and I hardly ever do.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Conversations like this one might benefit from the clean and decisive application of Ockham's razor. When two explanations are tabled one must discard the one that explains the least, or the one that explains nothing at all, or the one that raises more questions than it answers. The application of God as a prime mover is guilty of all three. The cleanest, most decisive explanation of all the observations tabled in this thread is there is no creator of the universe. The universe is not even created, it is in a neverending process of being created and destroyed by itself. It is chaos. If convincing yourself that it is otherwise makes you happy, then by all means sail on.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hey, Nickolas, how are ya, guy? Good to see you back at the meetings!

Seriously, though, your presence - along with the spirit of Ockham - is welcomed. Hope all's well in your world.

• still thinking
    still thinking

N.drew...Do you just want to call me names....first *on another thread* I am a bully....now...I am a liar.

Many people post scriptures....do you agree that they are all inspired by God? Do you agree that the 'Bible' is all scripture? Or do you choose which verses you choose to be scripture and which you think are just the writings of men?

If not, which ones arent?

How about the MANY sciptures I posted showing that God can control the weather? Do you agree that these are scripture or not?

If you don't agree...why am I a liar if I say you discard scripture as though it is rubbish?

• still thinking
    still thinking

so you obey and believe this IS scripture?

Zephaniah 2:3 Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the LORD's anger.

Is it fear that motivates you to believe? I know it is fear that prevents me from totally letting go of the God idea. The fear of 'what if' even though I KNOW that logically it isn't likely to be real.

Religion has controlled people with the FEAR of God since day dot...and it still continues...although not as blatant. It is packaged as "LOVE"

Do you see the irony still thinking? You say you don't believe in God, but do you say he is bad? You don't believe in the Bible but do you say your interpretation of it is the right one?...N.Drew

There is NO irony N.drew. I have not said I don't believe in a God...I said, I struggle to believe, and find no evidence. However, I have said quite clearly in previous posts that I don't know why I still have a belief that something is there.

I don't say that MY interpretation of the bible is right...I am asking you to show me that what I quote is wrong. But you don't. You dismiss or ignore it.

You quote scripture like the one above like it is something to be proud of....being afraid of something that may not even be real is nothing to be proud of....oh, of course, you aren't proud...you are humble...at least that's what you think you are.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oh, and before I forget...you claim that there is some truth in most religions...would you like to explain EXACTLY what is true in their scriptures/beliefs....and what you discard...because not all of it agrees with the bible...in fact very little. Or, don't you discard any of that either?

The bible contradicts itself...to make it work, you have to discard or dismiss some of it. The question is, which parts do you want to pick as inspired? Depends on the point YOU are trying to make doesn't it?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Page 5 N.drew "I think I want to."

And you don't. All is well....."

One must be careful not to make the assumption that those who do not believe in the existence of God do not want to. In most cases they have searched, yearned, sought, studied, prayed and worshiped. But against all desire to believe, they have had to face up to the glare of reality and admit that they were projecting their hope onto an imaginary concept.

As a child I had remote and cold parents. I became devoted to a panda who was my best friend and went everywhere with me. One day I had to admit to myself that the panda did not exist and was nothing more than a projection of my childish psyche and desire to have someone who would understand and comfort me. The same thing happened with my belief in God. Fortunately my wife is real and I finally feel loved.

Reality trumps every time!

• N.drew
    N.drew

still thinking said;

but what is god doing about any of it? Nothing. At least we try.

And I said;

Still thinking, I think you personally have the same amount of proof for yourself that the god you have sought is not real that you have that he has done nothing to fix anything. So what you say makes you sound like a bully.

still thinking said;

WTF* N.drew? would you like to explain that judement? or just make statements based on bollocks?

Judgement? I said your post makes you sound like a bully. People judge posts all the time. In fact Sweetbaby put all mine together and said;

you have consistently demonstrated that intellectual virtues are not necessary to survive in the real world.

Then still thinking said;

You quote scripture like the one above like it is something to be proud ... .oh, of course, you aren't proud...you are humble...at least that's what you think you are.

So it is OK to say I am proud but I believe I am humble. (I don't believe I'm humble. I think you missed a post).

But it's not OK for me to say your post about God not caring makes you sound like a bully.

*Sweetbaby I was speaking her language fyi

So anywho, my character, intellectual capacity, and mental heath has been judged 100 times on JWN. And I say "your post makes you sound like a bully" and it's beyond protocol?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit